Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-06-2009, 04:12 PM   #31
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
I ran mine out of battery for the first time today! That was with a full charge over night - but I'd loaded on a bunch of new books (20ish) via computer transfer last night, then downloaded a fair amount of samples in the morning. I read about half a book with the wireless off but it locked itself down a few minutes ago.

I don't have an SD card installed, but I'm pretty sure it's simply that indexing is hugely battery intensive - and a new note to myself to not do any bulk downloads!

I blame fictionwise's great sales, which led me to stock up on a ton of books over the last few weeks.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:15 PM   #32
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rixte View Post
I don't have an SD card installed, but I'm pretty sure it's simply that indexing is hugely battery intensive - and a new note to myself to not do any bulk downloads!
Or, plug the thing in after you do add a ton of books to it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:59 PM   #33
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did, actually - I downloaded them last night and then plugged it in before I went to bed. But apparently it takes longer than 6 hours.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:03 PM   #34
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
I did, actually - I downloaded them last night and then plugged it in before I went to bed. But apparently it takes longer than 6 hours.
Depending on how many and what size, it can take a lot more than that. I dl'd the Olaf Stapeldon collection here and my battery drained alarmingly the next day.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:22 PM   #35
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Really?? So, why does it go through a whole reboot process when I turn it off and then turn it back on??

Same drill as when I reset it.
Not on mine. If I turn it off and wait 1 minute, then turn it back on, it comes up to the Home screen in 10 seconds, if I do a reset from the switch under the cover, it takes 1 minute, 31 seconds to the Home page. In both cases I wait until the Home page finishes saying "Updating."

Coming out of sleep mode is something like 1-2 seconds. There's clearly a difference between the three modes.

Mike
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:28 PM   #36
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't get it. If the unit is plugged in the battery can not die.

BOb
Old 01-06-2009, 05:53 PM   #37
rixte
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I don't get it. If the unit is plugged in the battery can not die.

BOb
I mean I downloaded the book last night, plugged it in and left it plugged in for six hours. Than I took it with me when I left the house this morning - it was at full charge then. By lunch time when I went to read, it was about half and in the course of reading the book it dropped down to completely dead.

So if you have a lot of new pages - I probably had at least 15 new books on it - it takes a long time to index them and is battery intensive enough that you have to keep it charged significantly longer than six hours. Which I wouldn't have realized before this, so I mention it.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:05 PM   #38
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I mean I downloaded the book last night, plugged it in and left it plugged in for six hours. Than I took it with me when I left the house this morning - it was at full charge then. By lunch time when I went to read, it was about half and in the course of reading the book it dropped down to completely dead.

I see.. got it. Sometimes you just gotta hit it into my head with a baseball bat.

BOb
Old 01-06-2009, 06:07 PM   #39
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I see.. got it. Sometimes you just gotta hit it into my head with a baseball bat.

BOb
Okay! C'mere, pengy!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:08 PM   #40
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Okay! C'mere, pengy!
Ouch ooh... ouch... eek... ouch... [pass out].

BOb
Old 01-06-2009, 10:50 PM   #41
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Kindle battery life with a loaded SD card installed is poor, I suppose thats why the new Kindle will not have that option
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:53 PM   #42
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
Kindle battery life with a loaded SD card installed is poor, I suppose thats why the new Kindle will not have that option
Do we know this for a fact? Or is just more internet information?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:02 PM   #43
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Do we know this for a fact? Or is just more internet information?
I think that's based on the photo from The Boy Genius Report (which many of us wondered about being of a prototype). We have no actual facts to that effect from Amazon. The back didn't look removable and there were no discernible slots. No SD card seems atrocious unless they're really loading it up with memory. Still. I wouldn't like it. Getting rid of the removable battery would likewise be an unpopular move, IMO. I suppose, if that photo is a real Kindle 2, the back could come off in a way they couldn't detect in poor quality photo. A lot of assumptions were made based on that photo.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:50 PM   #44
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I think that's based on the photo from The Boy Genius Report (which many of us wondered about being of a prototype). We have no actual facts to that effect from Amazon. The back didn't look removable and there were no discernible slots. No SD card seems atrocious unless they're really loading it up with memory. Still. I wouldn't like it. Getting rid of the removable battery would likewise be an unpopular move, IMO. I suppose, if that photo is a real Kindle 2, the back could come off in a way they couldn't detect in poor quality photo. A lot of assumptions were made based on that photo.
That was my point.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:16 PM   #45
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
That was my point.
I know. My reply was to clarify for many of our newer members who may not have been there for that whole debate.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!