Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #46
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrayWolf View Post
Seems to me the consensus is this:
If you already installed the hacks, it won't break or remove them.

If you uninstall the hacks, or
haven't installed them, you will not be able to after installing 3.1 (at least, not until someone fixes them).

I'm assuming that if this update broke the installers, it also probably broke the uninstallers too, so be mindful of that too.
thanks. a couple of comments on another thread made me think that the update would not work if the kindle is hacked.
I just updated and the hacks are intact. now to dive into the update although I'm not expecting much.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #47
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
And here I thought the addition of page numbers would end this kind of bickering. Now people are mad because they might have to move their thumb to to see the number they wanted.
Coooo imagine if Amazon did bugger all and never gave us an opportunity to update........this update is optional currently folks - if ya don't like it don't download it!

Have to wonder about so many folk getting aeriated about page numbers and alike... ;-)
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #48
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I just don't think these additions really add (sorry) much, especially to be a whole 'point'. Should've stayed in the hundredths AFAIC.

LOL
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #49
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
seems like a decent update to me.
the page numbers is the right implementation (don't need more distracting info on the page itself).
I really like the improvement to the way it displays news (which nobody seems to be mentioning here).
I'm not too sure about this 'rating this book' thing, although it does seem unobtrusive enough. Not something that I would ever use.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:14 PM   #50
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
And here I thought the addition of page numbers would end this kind of bickering. Now people are mad because they might have to move their thumb to to see the number they wanted.
<- Being good.

I've nearly chewed my tongue in half with biting it*, but... I'm being good.

(*Not about the need to click, but the snark and fallacies about locations being Better Engineering or The Future we supposed (bs) luddites should adapt to.)

Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:16 PM   #51
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
seems like a decent update to me.
the page numbers is the right implementation (don't need more distracting info on the page itself).
I really like the improvement to the way it displays news (which nobody seems to be mentioning here).
I'm not too sure about this 'rating this book' thing, although it does seem unobtrusive enough. Not something that I would ever use.
Some of us are noticing that everything is speedier, too.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:32 PM   #52
Exer
I see Russia!
Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Etch-A-Sketch
I don't see what the problem is having to press a single button to read the page number.

I do the same thing to find out what "time" it is. It hasn't been a great hardship. There hasn't been any circumstance I've been in where I needed to learn the time so quickly that I didn't have time to press Menu ... so I can't imagine that there would be a need to find a page number so quickly that someone can't just tap the Menu button -- although I agree with some that you should have an either/or option eventually.
Exer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:45 PM   #53
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper
(*Not about the need to click, but the snark and fallacies about locations being Better Engineering or The Future we supposed (bs) luddites should adapt to.)
Boy, you read more into my post than I ever intended to imply.

I was just literally tired of the never-ending locations vs pages argument (both sides of it). I thought the addition of page numbers would end it. Yes, I'm a locations supporter, but I'm genuinely glad that those who wished for page numbers, got them.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Is there a screenshot of what the new page system looks like? I wasn't crazy about locations, but it was more useful than just a bar, which provides no real context as to how big the e-book is...

Woops, they've got pictures on the page for it

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...0505500&#pages
The page numbers do not quite match the print edition. Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia has 344 pages for the Kindle version and 352 for the corresponding pBook version.

Also, do the page numbers change with the text size?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:00 PM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino View Post
Wow, just last night I was trying to help mom decide what reader to get and the only reason she didn't want a kindle was because of the locations instead of page numbers.

Haha nevermind, just re-read it and saw you have to go to the menu to see them... ridiculous, I guess she won't be getting one.
So what will your mom be getting instead?

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-07-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:04 PM   #56
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The page numbers do not quite match the print edition. Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia has 344 pages for the Kindle version and 352 for the corresponding pBook version.
Does the paperback edition have the ISBN listed on the Kindle version page?

Edit: The ISBN number goes to the hardcover version, which says 252 pages, just like the Kindle version says on the product page. The paperback version is also listed as 252 pages.

Last edited by JMikeD; 02-07-2011 at 10:15 PM.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:17 PM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I used the ISBN number shown in the Kindle edition to go to the listing for the pBook. The page numbers are different.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #58
mailman61953
mailman61953 will become famous soon enoughmailman61953 will become famous soon enoughmailman61953 will become famous soon enoughmailman61953 will become famous soon enoughmailman61953 will become famous soon enoughmailman61953 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle1,Kindle2, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Sony505,Nokia,N810, Q7
The new newspaper layout makes this update for me. You can preview all the articles in an issue from the first page. Way better than the old layout. I have tried to read newspapers on my Kindle in the past and did not like it. I started a 2 week preview of The Washington Post after downloading the update. So far I am impressed.
mailman61953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:25 PM   #59
scotter
scotter began at the beginning.

Device: K3
Why do they not do page numbers for all books? They would only change when changing the text size, just have some way to make the user aware of that, or have it hidden in some deep dark setting so the users who would complain about it changing never find it.
scotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:33 PM   #60
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
I can also confirm that 3.1 installs with no problems with BOTH the screensaver and fonts hack installed on my K3 (3G). Just be patient while it installs. It says "Update Successful," but then it goes through it again; ditto for restarting -- it did it a bunch of times.

Based on other posts, do NOT uninstall the hacks before upgrading. Apparently 3.1 installs just fine over existing hacks, but does not allow their new installation.
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote