Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-07-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
randyflycaster
Zealot
randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350
Coverting public library ebooks to Kindle

I'm interested in converting public library ebooks to a Kindle. I was told that many of the ebooks might be locked with DRM, and that might make it hard to convert using Calibre. Is this true?

I'm reluctant to buy a Kindle because I want to borrow ebooks from my public library.

Thanks so much,

Randy
randyflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
deschiff
deschiff began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook mini
That's right, Calibre won't do DRM. In Minnesota Public Library ebooks come in bolth EPUB & PDF and can be read with portable devices that support Adobe ADE. But you have to buy or borrow the format your device can use because it can't be converted legally if it has DRM.
deschiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
randyflycaster
Zealot
randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, but I'm not sure I understand your reply. The New York Public library has a lot of epub books to borrow. How do I know if they're locked with DRM and can't be converted for using on a Kindle?

Randy
Old 10-07-2010, 11:30 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
You could ask the library. If they offer that service, they should be able to tell you if the books will work on a Kindle or not.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:34 AM   #5
randyflycaster
Zealot

I have no way of getting that answer from my library.
Randy
Old 10-07-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
Thanks, but I'm not sure I understand your reply. The New York Public library has a lot of epub books to borrow. How do I know if they're locked with DRM and can't be converted for using on a Kindle?
Like almost all libraries, NY Public Library uses adobe overdrive. This means:
1) all the books are Adobe DRM encumbered, with time limits.
2) you can't read the books on a Kindle or iPad.

See this NY Public library page, which has a link to this compatibility list.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:00 PM   #7
randyflycaster
Zealot

Yes, I was able to check with my library. So I guess I'll have to buy a Nook or a Kobo.

Randy
Old 10-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #8
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
library ebooks

Quote:
I have no way of getting that answer from my library.
Randy
You can assume that all library ebooks are locked with drm. The libraries almost all use the same subscription service "Overdrive" to provide ebooks to patrons. The three formats are mobipocket, pdf and epub. To use any of these on a Kindle, you must remove the drm.

Pdf and epub formats can be used without removing the drm by Sony, Astak readers, and I believe the nook and Kobo readers. These is much discussion on this and other forums about the "scripts" needed to remove the drm from these and other ebooks so that they can also be used on a Kindle. It is a personal decision/choice about the legality of doing so.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #9
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
It is a personal decision/choice about the legality of doing so.
<nitpick>The legality is undisputed. However, the morality is the area you have the choice in.</nitpick>
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #10
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

Randy
legally they must be - they would not be allowed ( by the publishers) to offer the service otherwise. you'd be better off with a Sony reader -

I know how the service works in the uk - books are borrowed for 2 weeks via download to your reader software on your PC, from which you copy them to your reader. when borrowing time is up they vanish from your reader- so there's no concept of having to "return" them - its automatic expiry.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:43 AM   #11
treetotree
Connoisseur
treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle DXG,prs-350, wife k3
Nook, Kobo, Sony, Jbl, et al.. Not Kindle
treetotree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #12
randyflycaster
Zealot

As it turns out, I just ordered a Sony ereader. I just hope they stay in the ebook business.

Borrowing ebook from the library is a big issue for me, as is the weight of an ereader. The Sony Pocket Reader is the lightest one out there. The Nook felt so heavy.

Randy
Old 10-10-2010, 06:12 PM   #13
kalex
Zealot
kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony
Sony is very nice and works great with libraries. All libraries that use overdrive use Adobe DRM. So if you want to read it on kindle you have to strip DRM and convert it to Mobi.
kalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:24 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalex View Post
Sony is very nice and works great with libraries. All libraries that use overdrive use Adobe DRM. So if you want to read it on kindle you have to strip DRM and convert it to Mobi.
The original poster in post 12 stated that he made a decision and ordered a Sony. So he won't want to read it on a Kindle.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote