Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-02-2006, 11:43 AM   #1
Fugubot
Connoisseur
Fugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watch

Device: Sony Reader
Anyone using the "Collections" function?

Have you found a good use for the Collections function? Please let us know if you've found it useful.

I downloaded the author/title index from Gutenberg and converted them to 27 rtf files. I wanted to make a collection called "Gutenberg Author Index" so I could browse the catalog on my reader. When I press the + button in the Connect Software it creates a Collection in the Library folder but none of the highlighted rtfs appear in the folder. I manually copy the files from the library/books folder to the Gutenberg Author Index collection. But I can't drag the collection to the Sony Reader? Huh?

Okay, tried a second version. I can copy the rtfs to the Sony Reader like any other book. Then in the Sony Reader, I highlight all the RTFs and press the + button. Now there's a collection on the reader but--you guessed it---none of the rtfs appear in the collection. It's empty. Manually copy the rtfs from Sony Reader/Books to Gutenberg Author Index and the titles finally appear.

Undock. When I turn on the Reader, there is now a Gutenberg Author Index in collections and my 27 alphabetical rtfs appear there! But all 27 rtfs also still appear under Books - So I'm confused. If the titles continue to clutter the main book index, what is the point of making a collection?
Fugubot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:52 AM   #2
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugubot
Have you found a good use for the Collections function? Please let us know if you've found it useful.

I downloaded the author/title index from Gutenberg and converted them to 27 rtf files. I wanted to make a collection called "Gutenberg Author Index" so I could browse the catalog on my reader. When I press the + button in the Connect Software it creates a Collection in the Library folder but none of the highlighted rtfs appear in the folder. I manually copy the files from the library/books folder to the Gutenberg Author Index collection. But I can't drag the collection to the Sony Reader? Huh?

Okay, tried a second version. I can copy the rtfs to the Sony Reader like any other book. Then in the Sony Reader, I highlight all the RTFs and press the + button. Now there's a collection on the reader but--you guessed it---none of the rtfs appear in the collection. It's empty. Manually copy the rtfs from Sony Reader/Books to Gutenberg Author Index and the titles finally appear.

Undock. When I turn on the Reader, there is now a Gutenberg Author Index in collections and my 27 alphabetical rtfs appear there! But all 27 rtfs also still appear under Books - So I'm confused. If the titles continue to clutter the main book index, what is the point of making a collection?
Main book index is annoying when you got many books. That's why it's nice to be able to make collections. Right now I use the collections for the author names.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 12:31 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The Collection acts like a set of pointers to the files in the Collection, but as you've noticed the books still show up in the main listing. And yes, it's annoying. You also can't delete a book from a Collection and get it out of main memory -- you have to deal with the main lists to delete stuff.

You should be able to drag the entire filled Collection from Connect to the Reader, however. You have to drop it on the "Sony Reader" level, it won't let you drop it anywhere else.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 01:52 PM   #4
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
I have 2 collections at the minute. I think they will only be of use to me for books I purchased from Connect. Since all my RTF books can have the Title changed so they remain in order having a collection doesn't seem that important.

e.g. all my Pratchett books are entitled "Discworld - ## - Book Title"

Makes them nicely clustered in the flat structure and easily identifiable.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 08:54 AM   #5
ThomWill
Enthusiast
ThomWill is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-500 (Sony Reader)
I am using the feature. I have things separated into broad categories like :Biography, classics, Sci-Fi, Fantasy. I like the idea, but like the others I think that the implementation will need a little work to make it as useful as it might be.
ThomWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 09:19 AM   #6
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Ditto. Great idea. Very poor implementation. Too much work for too little advantage.

I would like to use collections if it were implemented better.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 08:24 PM   #7
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
I use collections for keeping a series together. I tend to wait until the last book in a series is out before I read it (I get all upset when I have to wait for the next volume) so this comes in handy for me.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 08:36 PM   #8
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I don't use it. Tried it and found it useless for me. If it worked like the Photographs or Music sections where the contents do not show up elsewhere then it has a function - or - if every book had a collection associated with it that could be set through CONNECT then it may be useful.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:29 AM   #9
ghostwheel
Zealot
ghostwheel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DBoox Max,Galaxy note 10.1 & 3,LE1700 tablet,sony PRS-500,iRex DR1000S
One problem with the collections feature is that it seems you can not have collections on a memory card. Did any one succeed in doing that? Since a memory card can hold quite a few books, that is somewhat annoying.
ghostwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 07:03 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
You're right, it doesn't work on mem cards, but it's on our wishlist for the first firmware update.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote