Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-14-2013, 12:51 PM   #106
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Do browsers matter? Perhaps, but I get the old site with Firefox, Opera and Chrome. And I'm not going to start opening IE.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:07 PM   #107
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Don't know for sure, I tend to think it's more the age of the browser (IE8 is not current so perhaps not compatible with the new site). I get the new site when I use the current Firefox.

(I'm stuck with IE at work.)
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #108
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Then it's dependent on location mainly, it seems. My browsers are all up-to-date.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #109
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I always see the old web site until I'm logged in, then this is the new one. Don't ask me why
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:03 PM   #110
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I noticed on the new site there seems to be a way to tell whether an epub is DRM-free or not (assuming you already know that it is an epub):

If a book is Adobe DRM epub then it has a Blackberry in the "Read this on" section.

If it is a DRM-free epub then it has no Blackberry.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #111
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I noticed on the new site there seems to be a way to tell whether an epub is DRM-free or not (assuming you already know that it is an epub):

If a book is Adobe DRM epub then it has a Blackberry in the "Read this on" section.

If it is a DRM-free epub then it has no Blackberry.
great tip!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #112
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony 650 and Cool-er
I posted about the new site a few weeks back. It's still simply terrible. Search doesn't work at all. I am waiting with impatience for the day I can replace my KT with a Kindle. I am done messing about waiting for Kobo to get their act together.
Orn8one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:34 AM   #113
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can't seem to find the Harry Potter series anymore. Am I the only one?
Old 09-16-2013, 08:10 AM   #114
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
I can't seem to find the Harry Potter series anymore. Am I the only one?
Even though Kobo, Sony, B&N, and Amazon have it listed on their sites, you can't purchase directly from them: you have to purchase from Pottermore and link it to your other eBook store accounts. I was never able to link to my Kobo account in the US (the button is grayed out) despite having plenty of extra "downloads" at Pottermore. I had no issues linking with Sony, B&N, and Amazon. I brought it to Pottermore tech support's attention, but never got a satisfactory response. I haven't tried in several months, though.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:38 AM   #115
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Actually I agree with @samhy; the Harry Potter books are not listed on the Kobo bookstore (at least the Canadian version of it).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #116
samhy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
Even though Kobo, Sony, B&N, and Amazon have it listed on their sites, you can't purchase directly from them: you have to purchase from Pottermore and link it to your other eBook store accounts. I was never able to link to my Kobo account in the US (the button is grayed out) despite having plenty of extra "downloads" at Pottermore. I had no issues linking with Sony, B&N, and Amazon. I brought it to Pottermore tech support's attention, but never got a satisfactory response. I haven't tried in several months, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Actually I agree with @samhy; the Harry Potter books are not listed on the Kobo bookstore (at least the Canadian version of it).
Thank you both of you. I'm not ready to buy the Harry Potter ebooks just yet, but I thought that even though the link leads to the Pottermore shop maybe the purchase could appear in my Kobo history. More likely wishful thinking.

There are other books that I can't find anymore. Recently I bought One Hundred Years of Solitude and now I can only see a free ebook (though the one I bought is still in my library) and I can't find any other book from G. Garcia Marquez.

Is Kobo slowly updating the database to the new web site? Did some contracts with publishers come to an end? I'm a little confuse there (and sooo willing to use the 50% code )
Old 09-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #117
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
There are other books that I can't find anymore. Recently I bought One Hundred Years of Solitude and now I can only see a free ebook (though the one I bought is still in my library) and I can't find any other book from G. Garcia Marquez.
His books are no longer available from Google Play, either. I believe (but don't hold me to this) that I read a few months back that his books were going to be kindle only.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #118
samhy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
His books are no longer available from Google Play, either. I believe (but don't hold me to this) that I read a few months back that his books were going to be kindle only.
Oh, thanks. I just checked and I bought it in May. If I had known (and searched beforehand) I would have bought one or two more of his books from Kobo.
Well, I can also shop at Amazon so that's not too bad
Old 10-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #119
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Some books missing from new website, still available on old site and device bookstore

Some books I had on my wishlist disappeared when the new website came in. I emailed Kobo help about it and they acknowledged the problem, there are books that you can buy from the old website but not from the new one. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Example is Raising the Stones by Sheri S. Tepper. The new website shows me a message saying that this book is no longer available.

The interesting thing is that I can still see this book in the bookstore on my Glo, and I assume I could buy it from my Glo. I am just a bit wary because if I can't see it on the website then will I be able to download the plain epub version?

I have also noticed that some books have different covers shown in the device's bookstore than on the new website, perhaps it is showing a different version of the book to the one I would get if I bought from the new website.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #120
ppowell002
Connoisseur
ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.

Device: kobo glo hd
I don't like much about the new store. It actually discourages me from browsing and buying from kobo. The search function is useless and removing the lists such as NYT best sellers, booker and other prizes, made the site that much less friendly. I now use it only to check prices on books I have learned of from other, better sources.
ppowell002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo books, rdlecoeur