Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-20-2010, 02:39 AM   #1
al35
Enthusiast
al35 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
Calibre deleting files?

Hi! I was trying to use Calibre to manage my audiobooks as well as ebooks by manually copying the folder with audio files to the book directory. I'm quite sure that at least once, when I was fetching metadata from the server (and the author name changed slightly), Calibre removed the directory with my audio files. Is this possible? Is it a dangerous way to store my audiobooks?
al35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:02 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by al35 View Post
Hi! I was trying to use Calibre to manage my audiobooks as well as ebooks by manually copying the folder with audio files to the book directory. I'm quite sure that at least once, when I was fetching metadata from the server (and the author name changed slightly), Calibre removed the directory with my audio files. Is this possible? Is it a dangerous way to store my audiobooks?
From what I understand you copied the audio version of the book into the corresponding directory in the Calibre library, is that right? If so, I'd assume that Calibre wasn't aware the audiobook was even there. If you change the metadata, Calibre changes the directory, and, it would seem, copies the files it's aware of to the new directory and just deletes everything else.
So, yes, unless you manage to add your audiobooks via the normal Calibre interface, this would be a dangerous way to store them.
As said before, by the way, the Calibre library is best seen as a "black box" and only interfaced via Calibre itself.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
As Manichean correctly said, this is a bad way to store your audiobooks. Calibre won't know about them, and will change its directories and move files if you change author/title. You shouldn't go into the folders that Calibre maintains.

If you want your audiobooks stored by Calibre, put the mp3s into a rar file, then add the rar file to the record for that book. Edit the metadata for that book and drag in the rar file. Then Calibre will know about the rar file and will keep it with your other ebook formats for that book.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
al35
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
If you want your audiobooks stored by Calibre, put the mp3s into a rar file, then add the rar file to the record for that book. Edit the metadata for that book and drag in the rar file. Then Calibre will know about the rar file and will keep it with your other ebook formats for that book.
Ok. It's a bit inconvenient to pack-unpack the files (especially for large books), but I guess there is no other way. I opened a ticket with a suggestion to be able to add folders instead of rar files, this would be useful if it is implemented.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:38 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Ok. It's a bit inconvenient to pack-unpack the files
At this point, Calibre is designed for ebooks, not audiobooks, so it's not really fair to complain about it being inconvenient. I was just pointing out how you could do it if you really needed to. You might be better off with another program.

That said, however, I do recall other requests for Calibre to handle audiobooks, so support for them may eventually be added. You can add support for them yourself, if you're feeling adventurous. The code is open.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2010, 09:44 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As long as you have a single audio file per audio book, you can add it directly to calibre. If there is more than one, you will have to zip/rar it up.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:24 PM   #7
al35
Enthusiast

Thanks for the answers. I added my audiobooks as .tar archives to Calibre, and it works quite well. Tar/untar is fast enough, so it works ok even with 1Gb files.

One more question -- once I added the tar archive to ebook entry, is it safe to add/remove something in the tar file? Does Calibre care about size/checksum of the files in the library, or does it only keep track of the file names?
Old 03-22-2010, 12:43 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Only file names
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote