Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
Ulysei
Ulysei began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Covers for Kobo Mini?

I just picked up my first eReader, a Kobo Mini, from the black Friday $49 sale. Loving the experience so far! But I am concerned about damaging the device by porting it around without a cover. As I understand, there are no covers for the mini available yet? (wonder why?). Has anyone got a useful DIY solution? Or any idea when covers will be released?

And a related query: in general, how fragile is the screen and how prone is it to damage? Unfortunately, the first mini I bought had a spot of "stuck eInk" (like a dead pixel, but larger) and so I exchanged for a new one. This has me worried that the screen could easily be permanently damaged.
Ulysei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
psi
psi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo mini
I got one at the same time and I seem to have caused a little damage like this already, by dropping it onto something screen down a very short distance. It's not too bad but I wish I had known the display was so easy to damage. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that you can get a cover for the device that puts it to sleep when it's closed.
psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I got this Navitech cover from Amazon but in "red" not black:
http://www.amazon.com/Navitech-Black...tech+Kobo+mini

I haven't received it yet but expect it shortly. I'll post my impressions once I've seen it and used it with my Mini.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysei View Post
And a related query: in general, how fragile is the screen and how prone is it to damage?
The biggest fragility of all e-readers is the glass substrate of the e-ink. It is an extremely thin glass plate. IMHO it is most likely to be damaged by twisting of the device causing it to crack which most covers won't help you with. Having said that, the Mini is smaller so should be more resistant to twisting since the frame is smaller. Of course, dropping something directly on the screen could scratch, break the surface, or crunch through and break the substrate which is what a cover will protect against.
Biggest thing to avoid is throwing it in a purse/bag/luggage where it could twist unless you have something solid around it.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:41 PM   #5
psi
psi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura about

Is there anywhere that sells replacement screens? I can live with the damage to mine but I was wondering about how much a new screen might cost.
Advert
Old 11-26-2012, 06:21 AM   #6
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by psi View Post
Is there anywhere that sells replacement screens? I can live with the damage to mine but I was wondering about how much a new screen might cost.
More than a new device would cost.

And you probably couldn't find one that would fit the Mini, and its mounting hardware.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:07 AM   #7
Ulysei

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
The biggest fragility of all e-readers is the glass substrate of the e-ink. It is an extremely thin glass plate. IMHO it is most likely to be damaged by twisting of the device causing it to crack which most covers won't help you with. Having said that, the Mini is smaller so should be more resistant to twisting since the frame is smaller. Of course, dropping something directly on the screen could scratch, break the surface, or crunch through and break the substrate which is what a cover will protect against.
Biggest thing to avoid is throwing it in a purse/bag/luggage where it could twist unless you have something solid around it.
This is what I feared. I bought a kobo primarily for travel and commuting. I thought the mini would be perfect to throw into a purse/bag.

Are the standard kobo covers (leather ones that open like a book) protective enough?
Old 11-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #8
psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
More than a new device would cost.

And you probably couldn't find one that would fit the Mini, and its mounting hardware.
So you're saying a replacement screen is probably not available, but if it was it would cause more than the device? Would that be because of typical high markup on replacement parts, or are e-readers actually sold at a loss to gain customers for online book sales?
Old 11-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #9
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by psi View Post
So you're saying a replacement screen is probably not available, but if it was it would cause more than the device? Would that be because of typical high markup on replacement parts, or are e-readers actually sold at a loss to gain customers for online book sales?
The manufacturers buy screens by the thousands or in a few cases by the millions so they get a good price. They sell the devices by the thousands/millions so can have a smaller profit per unit and still make money.

Replacement parts for many things cost a lot when compared to the price of a new unit especially when it is on sale. I wanted to buy a replacement for the dust bin in my (cheap) vacuum and it had to be special ordered and with shipping cost $10 more than a new vacuum.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #10
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I received my Navitech cover tonight and am very pleased with it! For $4.99 it's a really great deal!
Found it on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Navitech-Black...tech+Kobo+mini
"bycast" leather = fake but it fits great and is well made
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20121126_192105.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	96865   Click image for larger version

Name:	20121126_192441.jpg
Views:	777
Size:	396.9 KB
ID:	96866   Click image for larger version

Name:	20121126_192116.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	302.2 KB
ID:	96867   Click image for larger version

Name:	20121126_192157.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	378.0 KB
ID:	96868  
Old 11-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #11
Ulysei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
I received my Navitech cover tonight and am very pleased with it! For $4.99 it's a really great deal!
Found it on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Navitech-Black...tech+Kobo+mini
"bycast" leather = fake but it fits great and is well made
Thanks for the great update! The cover looks like a good fit, and decent for the $4.99 price.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:59 PM   #12
Cdesja5
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysei View Post
Thanks for the great update! The cover looks like a good fit, and decent for the $4.99 price.
Looks like only the black cover is still at $4.99,the others have increased to $9.99! It is also slightly different from the Amazon picture, there is no inner flap with card holders...
Old 11-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #13
Keslynn
Plausible Deniability
Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Mini 4
I am looking more for a padded sleeve than a cover. Has anyone found anything good for a decent price?

A lot of the cases/covers/sleeves are about $20 and that's half what I paid for the Mini itself! I refuse to pay 1/2 the cost of the reader for a case.
Keslynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:15 PM   #14
Cdesja5
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keslynn View Post
I am looking more for a padded sleeve than a cover. Has anyone found anything good for a decent price?

A lot of the cases/covers/sleeves are about $20 and that's half what I paid for the Mini itself! I refuse to pay 1/2 the cost of the reader for a case.
I initially got a black neoprene zip up case that was for a gps. Fits perfectly but I don't really remember where I got it and what brand it was. Check out the gps accessories section a your local electronics store... It was probably at Future Shop or Best Buy that I got it.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:23 PM   #15
Ulysei

Quote:
There are neoprene camera cases that might fit. This has about the right dimensions of the kobo mini:
http://www.amazon.com/Built-E-HCS-BL...ref=pd_sim_p_5