Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-06-2012, 05:14 AM   #91
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEngineer View Post
Also, there is a problem with the zoom function, you can't turn pages while zooming, you must go back to original view and then turn the page.
This is one of the more annoying limitations of the current software (it applies to browsing images too) and is why you need to margin cut, zoom or whatever your PDFs before you put them on the jetBook.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:28 AM   #92
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
PF4Mobile,

Except for the last line being cropped a bit, the readability is orders of magnitude better now. Could you please guide me to the steps of processing the pdf ?

Regarding the highlight and scribbling, you're right. It's extremely important for such books and I currently don't have any plans to deal with this problem except to wait for an update.

I definitely know that the device supports all of that as seen in the following video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmTV0JT6NYk) but I have no idea why Jetbook colors comes with the firmware that it currently has.
Download a demo copy of Adobe Acrobat X and folow the steps shown here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC4M907psaM

If you search this site (mobileread) you will find references to free software that does that from command line or even better GUI based software that lets you do it. The above is the solutin that I used ....
Process all your PDFs before the software expires and you are good to go
Sorry for the cropped line... I did just just seconds before to go to bed ...
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #93
X read X
Banned
X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook, iPhone 4, Jetbook Color.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
This is one of the more annoying limitations of the current software (it applies to browsing images too) and is why you need to margin cut, zoom or whatever your PDFs before you put them on the jetBook.

Andrew
I distinctly remember something like this when the jetBook Lite came out, the PDF's weren't reading correct (amybe the re-flow?) but it was fixed quickly with a firmware update. Most of my books are in ePub or TXT so it didn't affect me to much.
X read X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #94
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X read X View Post
I distinctly remember something like this when the jetBook Lite came out, the PDF's weren't reading correct (amybe the re-flow?) but it was fixed quickly with a firmware update. Most of my books are in ePub or TXT so it didn't affect me to much.
This isn't talking about reflowing PDF, it's taking a page image and making it bigger (or smaller) on the screen. If you make it bigger than can fit on the screen the device goes into a panning mode and the next/previous line/page keys pan around the page instead. You have to press back or reset the zoom before you can turn the page. I'm really hoping it's changed in a firmware update; for now the Sony PRS-T1 has the best PDF handling of my eReaders.

Andrew
Old 02-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #95
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
The jetbook Color has very very much greater color intensity, than the
black and white devices you mention.

Luck;
Ken
Sorry, I meant contrast, not color
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #96
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
I see the picture of black version on Eink website:
http://www.eink.com/customer_showcas...ook_color.html
I think both colors will be available soon but I can't wait...
Ectaco just got back to me!
They said that there was a greater demand for the white version, so they moved the production of the black version to later, to focus on the white version at first.

Not only do I think the white does not look so good, and the white distracts from reading; but I've also worked in a plastic factory, and know that very few plastic factories are able to create a white plastic that remains white(it's very expensive).
Most white plastic turns yellow over time, while in the old days black plastic could turn blue, but nowadays with carbon black addition to plastic, they kind of eliminated the black issue!

If you want a device where the color looks exactly the same 5 years from now, you'd have to get another color than white!

page flip speed, anyone? Page flip speed?
Old 02-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #97
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Quote:
This isn't talking about reflowing PDF, it's taking a page image and making it bigger (or smaller) on the screen. If you make it bigger than can fit on the screen the device goes into a panning mode and the next/previous line/page keys pan around the page instead. You have to press back or reset the zoom before you can turn the page. I'm really hoping it's changed in a firmware update; for now the Sony PRS-T1 has the best PDF handling of my eReaders.

Andrew
Isn't it like you can press next page, and the panning goes to the bottom of the page, and press next page again, and it flips to a new page?
So you're saying that in zoom/panned mode the reader is stuck at it's page?

Also, have you found reason to zoom in regular PDF's? As far as I know, many (even with border) seem to display the text quite nicely!
Old 02-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #98
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Ectaco just got back to me!
They said that there was a greater demand for the white version, so they moved the production of the black version to later, to focus on the white version at first.

Not only do I think the white does not look so good, and the white distracts from reading; but I've also worked in a plastic factory, and know that very few plastic factories are able to create a white plastic that remains white(it's very expensive).
Most white plastic turns yellow over time, while in the old days black plastic could turn blue, but nowadays with carbon black addition to plastic, they kind of eliminated the black issue!

If you want a device where the color looks exactly the same 5 years from now, you'd have to get another color than white!

page flip speed, anyone? Page flip speed?
which one is more expensive to produce ?? White or black (colorwise)
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #99
andyh2000
Avid reader

Quote:
I think if it has to be glossy I prefer white - reflected highlights from nearby light sources are much less noticeable (to me) on a white glossy surround compared to a black one. And I should know, I've got a Sony PRS-T1...

Quote:
...page flip speed, anyone? Page flip speed?
Measurable in geological aeons...
Seriously though, it seems to vary with the complexity of the document. A programming manual I've got takes 3 seconds, my colourful comic from the other thread takes 4 seconds, that German War and Peace ePub takes 2.8 seconds. Not good.

Andrew

Last edited by andyh2000; 02-06-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #100
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
Quote:
Thank you very much LuBiB for the through review.

I just got my Jetbook color and the pdf are unreadable because of the white margins and small fonts. Also, there is a problem with the zoom function, you can't turn pages while zooming, you must go back to original view and then turn the page.

could you please elaborate on this, I'm desperate for any advice to make pdf's readable.
As of now, until they have a better reflow option (which im absolutely positively double diamond sure they'll come out with - aka they have to) i suggest reformatting the PDF on your computer to fit the screen.

If you need help let me know, i'll write out the steps for you - it took me 4 minutes flat to modify my sister's geometry book.

Also, are your PDF's scanned?
^^^^ my apologies, i didnt read the rest of the thread before replying.

I'll list the steps and include pics of it tomorrow so you can try it yourself.

Last edited by LuBiB; 02-06-2012 at 07:33 PM.
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #101
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks Lubib!
It exceeded my expectations!
However, I meant to read dual pages in landscape not in portrait. (same with the flower image; is there a way to tilt images? I surely hope so!).
Nevertheless, it seems like the device has exceeded my expectations resolution wise!
It seems good enough to display nearly all pdf books I own, and has zoom levels to compensate for extreme books (that use extreme large white borders).

However, I have heard some negative reviews about color intensity,
If someone could compare the Jetbook Color to the Jetbook / Jetbook mini, or first generation e-ink devices like the Sony PRS505?

Now continuing to read up, and hopefully someone could tell us the avg page flip time! :-)
Oh, sorry about that!

Yes, you can rotate the page, lol, I don't know why i didn't do that!!

If you actually rotate them to a 180 degree viewing angle on your computer and load them up manually (if not flipped and fit to screen otherwise) then it would actually look like this ---- just use the intends to set the device sideways..... P.S. i found this picture on ebay from a seller lol, havent seen anyone have it before, the person might have loaded it themselves:::::

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	326.4 KB
ID:	82230
Old 02-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #102
LuBiB
Banned

Quote:
I think if it has to be glossy I prefer white - reflected highlights from nearby light sources are much less noticeable (to me) on a white glossy surround compared to a black one. And I should know, I've got a Sony PRS-T1...

Measurable in geological aeons...
Seriously though, it seems to vary with the complexity of the document. A programming manual I've got takes 3 seconds, my colourful comic from the other thread takes 4 seconds, that German War and Peace ePub takes 2.8 seconds. Not good.

Andrew
It's really not that bad in white. It's glossy and looks like it can last.

I know what you mean about the yellowing but it feels like that glossy layer will keep it from doing that - as if it's a sealant - I'm basing this on how it feels. We'll only know for sure in about a year or so lol

As for the rip speed, it's not that bad, and andys right about it being dependent on the size of the file. I'm wondering now if there can be an update to actually increase the speed, this would be a good question to ask Ectaco actually if anyone has a contact there (*nudge nudge* hint hint* aka @ProDigit i know you mentioned that you wrote to them already )
Old 02-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #103
LuBiB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Lubib, can you check the attached files on jetBook Color?
@Kris777 now these were hysterical!!!! (i'm a born Donald fan)

And here's how they look, i've zoomed in on one so you can see the text bubble with the pic. I must say that i'm a bit impressed with the outcome::::

Name:	IMG_0152.jpg
Views:	895
Size:	528.4 KB
ID:	82231

Name:	IMG_0161.jpg
Views:	795
Size:	703.4 KB
ID:	82233

Name:	IMG_0158.jpg
Views:	898
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	82232
Old 02-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #104
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
[QUOTE=LuBiB;1955804]@Kris777 now these were hysterical!!!! (i'm a born Donald fan)

And here's how they look, i've zoomed in on one so you can see the text bubble with the pic. I must say that i'm a bit impressed with the outcome::::

Thank you, LuBiB. It looks really nice!
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:03 AM   #105
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
someone asked earlier about the "ghosting " in the original pics. That does not AHVE to be there. Full refreshes eliminate it entirely. partial refreshes leave some ghosting. there should be a setting that allows you to choose either full refresh every time or partial refreshes with a full refresh only every x pages to allow for quicker page turns.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ectaco, jetbook color, jetbook color review