Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-29-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
Hicham
Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle 3 (3G+WIFI)
pls pls help! Best ereader for college students!

Hi guys,

Could you recommend an ebook ereader for college students? Dont guide me to Kindle please, since it is a real pain to read my textbooks right now with kindle 3. Now I want to buy another ebook ereader since I have more than 100 pdf ebooks which kindle 3 can't support just fine.
Well I am looking for these features:

1- An ereader which is real good for note taking since I take lots of notes during my readings for master degree of European Linguistics.
2- An ereader which support NATIVELY pdf files.
3- An ereader which has wifi.
4- An ereader that has a very good battery life.

So do you think you can help me here? Pls guide me which one to pick up as this time I dont want to make the same mistake I did before when I didnt check lots before getting the Kindle.

Thanks very much and have a good rest of the day.
Hicham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicham View Post
1- An ereader which is real good for note taking since I take lots of notes during my readings for master degree of European Linguistics.
I'm not sure any ereaders out there are great at note-taking. Yeah, some have keyboards, some have a stylus, and you can certainly highlight passages in them all. But if you really want to take notes, you're going to need a tablet with a stylus or something with a full-blown keyboard.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
This thread would probably get more responses and belongs in the "Which one should I buy" forum?"

As to your actual inquiry, I'm not sure but I'm sure there are lots of people here who can help.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
Hicham
Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.Hicham got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
I'm not sure any ereaders out there are great at note-taking. Yeah, some have keyboards, some have a stylus, and you can certainly highlight passages in them all. But if you really want to take notes, you're going to need a tablet with a stylus or something with a full-blown keyboard.
Ok, and what about Hanvon WISEreader N610? I read some good things about it but I want to make sure if anyone has any idea here.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
I know you said no Kindle, but the Kindle DX is really the best for textbooks due to the amount information that can be displayed. You can easily use a free program like Calibre to convert pdf.

Have you considered a tablet? Battery life may not be great but it is easy to make notes and will read PDFs well.

I personally use my Kindle 3 for PDF textbooks and have never had an issue but I don't make that many annotations, which could be an issue with the 5-way direction buttons. If I were getting another e-reader for studying I would consider a colour one due to the large amount of diagrams my subject required but I guess linguistics is not diagram heavy.

Last edited by Tome Keeper; 04-29-2011 at 04:49 PM. Reason: more info
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
Hicham

Quote:
Originally Posted by intheendofdays View Post
I know you said no Kindle, but the Kindle DX is really the best for textbooks due to the amount information that can be displayed. You can easily use a free program like Calibre to convert pdf.

Have you considered a tablet? Battery life may not be great but it is easy to make notes and will read PDFs well.

I personally use my Kindle 3 for PDF textbooks and have never had an issue but I don't make that many annotations, which could be an issue with the 5-way direction buttons. If I were getting another e-reader for studying I would consider a colour one due to the large amount of diagrams my subject required but I guess linguistics is not diagram heavy.
Yes, this is my point. to make many annotations with the five way direction button is a real pain and thats why I want to get another device.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:36 AM   #7
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
You might have a look at Sony Reader PRS-950.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:48 AM   #8
Anke Wehner
Addict
Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-650
I had the Hanvon 610 for a few days... It had handwriting recognition that mostly worked, but at this point in time I don't even remember if it let you write annotations using that "into" books, or if you could just scrawl over the pages.

If you actually want to write down a lot of stuff, I think paper or a netbook with a keyboard would be better. I've got no experience with tablets, though.
Anke Wehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:10 PM   #9
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anke Wehner View Post
If you actually want to write down a lot of stuff, I think paper or a netbook with a keyboard would be better.
A very valid point.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:23 PM   #10
JuniperPearl
Enthusiast
JuniperPearl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire, iPhone 5, Kindle Voyage
Are they scanned PDF files (as in, pages of books scanned into the computer and packaged into a PDF)? Because if that is the case, I don't think there are any ebook readers on the market that display them well. Of course, my experience is really only with Kindle and Sony Readers, but it's almost impossible to read scanned PDF documents on either of my readers.

You might be better off with a netbook, especially if you want to take notes.
JuniperPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:10 PM   #11
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Perhaps:

http://www.onyx-boox.com/

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:36 PM   #12
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Looks fantastic.
Is it something new?
Old 04-30-2011, 04:23 PM   #13
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anke Wehner View Post
If you actually want to write down a lot of stuff, I think paper or a netbook with a keyboard would be better. I've got no experience with tablets, though.
No netbook or tablet as "good battery life" compared to an eInk dedicated ereader so they all would seem to fall too sort of the OP's requirements to make them worth considering.

My vote is to (one of the following):
  • Come to terms with the 5-way
  • Get an eInk ereader with a touch screen
  • Get a case that holds the K3 along with a pen and pad of paper.

Personally, I don't find the 5-way that hard to use, especially when you factor in the advantage of a hardware keyboard over an on-screen pseuo-keyboard.

Another question that needs answering is why does the OP want WiFi. Not all readers with WiFi offer the same online/network functionality. The OP needs to consider not only the presence of WiFi but also the presence of the needed/desired functionality over WiFi.

Last edited by dwig; 04-30-2011 at 04:26 PM.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:18 AM   #14
Dumas
Connoisseur
Dumas will become famous soon enoughDumas will become famous soon enoughDumas will become famous soon enoughDumas will become famous soon enoughDumas will become famous soon enoughDumas will become famous soon enough

Device: Nokia N810, enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe
What you are asking for is beyond the basic reading experience provided by most eReaders. The Entourage Edge satisfies requirements 1-3. If you consider 16 hours to be very good battery life, then it also satisfies requirement 4.

With its digitizer and journaling capability, the Edge is much more than a reader. Consider this user's experience:

My First Two Week In-Class with the eDGe Review

And if that sounds interesting, be sure to check out the Edge forums here on MobileRead and the corporate site to get all the ins and outs.
Dumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:19 AM   #15
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 2 (x2), Kindle 1, a couple old PDAs
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Looks fantastic.
Is it something new?
yeah, about two years ago I think.

Actually they have a few new devices due out any day now. Dulin's has been helping on a thread about the new Onyx M90 somewhere in the "News" section as I recall???

But aren't the Onyx devices pretty spiffy in their features? Love the Wacom for sure!!
grumpy3b is offline   Reply With Quote