Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
VerizonLover
VerizonLover began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
JTAG

Has anybody used this for unbricking the Kindle?
VerizonLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:41 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
You need a 1.8V one. That one is designed for the expensive Altium tools and I've no idea if it supports 1.8V or not. It'd also be useless if you can't find the utilities that actually handle the flashing.

The flash inside a Kindle is a Samsung MoviNAND part which appears as a MMC interface over one of the built in MMC/SD/SDHC controller so the flashing utility would need to understand how to drive that via a small stub or have a BSDL available for the i.MX353. I've not looked to see if a BSDL is available or not but I'd guess it would be since Freescale seem to be pretty good about supplying information for their products.

Even so, who has killed their Kindle badly enough that you'd need to use JTAG to recover it?

If you do manage to damage it badly enough that it doesn't boot then you need to have had the foresight to have made a complete backup of your Kindle before breaking it. The firmware files from Amazon are actually just patches and not complete images. They also don't have the bootloader and any device specific information like IDs.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert