Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-25-2011, 02:08 AM   #1
broadlands
broadlands began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 11
Dead Kindle screen

I bought my wife a Kindle 2 in South Africa 6 months ado.She loved it as she travels a great deal. Now the top half of the screen is dead. Any suggestions? I did not buy it through a dealer as we are in South Africa. Bought it through someone who imported a bunch of these.
broadlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:02 AM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Too bad. Broken e-ink screens look like this, i.e. working in some unharmed parts and not changing anymore in others. So I guess the screen is broken.
Well, if you can't reach that "someone", you might want to try to call Amazon despite the fact you didn't buy directly from them. Their customer support is awesome and maybe they can do something about it. That's no promise, though, since usually you buy these from Amazon even if you're abroad.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2011, 05:15 AM   #3
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
While it's not under warranty anymore, I'd still recommend contacting the Amazon customer support. Had two friends here in CT get damaged K3's replaced, however they under warranty. Heard a good few stories of old models getting replaced without any fuss.

At worst, it might be worth popping it open and making sure all of the ribbon cables are snuggly in their sockets.

And next time, buy directly from Amazon - they do ship Kindles to SA directly (and a good 30% cheaper than retail shops/online)
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:16 AM   #4
broadlands
broadlands began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
While it's not under warranty anymore, I'd still recommend contacting the Amazon customer support. Had two friends here in CT get damaged K3's replaced, however they under warranty. Heard a good few stories of old models getting replaced without any fuss.

At worst, it might be worth popping it open and making sure all of the ribbon cables are snuggly in their sockets.

And next time, buy directly from Amazon - they do ship Kindles to SA directly (and a good 30% cheaper than retail shops/online)
Thank you.
I did open it but cannot see anything wrong. I will however follow the advice and call Kindle. thank you
broadlands is offline   Reply With Quote