Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #16
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Other than being from Amazon, I just don't see what this offers that the NC doesn't. Granted, that's something of a big deal, but at the same time, I can see a lot of people wanting something like the iPad, but much cheaper and being very disappointed by the very limited nature of this, since you're very much locked down and limited to what you can do with it (going by that article).
In my opinion, the success of a tablet depends of these two factors (in that order)

-Price
-Available apps or ecosystem

That's why iPad has been a hit.

There is no Flash, no multitasking, the silly stuff of using iTunes, but Apple sells iPads like hotcakes, because those two factors.

So I believe, if above is true, Amazon will hit and provide those two important points.

There is no better online retailer and store than Amazon. Having a tablet that integrates that together, without rooting and out of the box, is a big deal, plus being backed up by Amazon's customer support.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #17
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Other than being from Amazon, I just don't see what this offers that the NC doesn't. Granted, that's something of a big deal, but at the same time, I can see a lot of people wanting something like the iPad, but much cheaper and being very disappointed by the very limited nature of this, since you're very much locked down and limited to what you can do with it (going by that article).
You know, I'm kind of amazed that people expected that Amazon was going to launch some kind of Android Jesus tablet, as good as the Ipad but half the price and totally stock Android and open.

When did Bezos ever say that Amazon would do anything like that?
When has Amazon ever done anything like that?
Lastly , what's the business case for anything like that?

Amazon is building a device according to its corporate self-interest. Well, hoocouldanode?
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2011, 05:40 PM   #18
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
In my opinion, the success of a tablet depends of these two factors (in that order)

-Price
-Available apps or ecosystem

That's why iPad has been a hit.

There is no Flash, no multitasking, the silly stuff of using iTunes, but Apple sells iPads like hotcakes, because those two factors.

So I believe, if above is true, Amazon will hit and provide those two important points.

There is no better online retailer and store than Amazon. Having a tablet that integrates that together, without rooting and out of the box, is a big deal, plus being backed up by Amazon's customer support.
Exactly. The iPad is just as locked as the Amazon tablet will be, maybe even more so. Amazon already has the necessary ecosystem in place to support their tablet. Given the pricing, they stand to sell a bunch of these things. They also stand to make $79/year from new subscribers to Amazon Prime once the promotion period is over.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:47 PM   #19
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Amazon treats Canadians like red headed step children. So does Nook. We're not really part of the family. This makes the $250 Lenovo 7 inch IdeaPad look like the best choice for me.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:52 PM   #20
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Has anyone used the Kobo app from the Amazon Appstore? Does it allow purchasing from the app?
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #21
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Amazon treats Canadians like red headed step children. So does Nook. We're not really part of the family. This makes the $250 Lenovo 7 inch IdeaPad look like the best choice for me.
I'm afraid you're right.

But I would not blame Amazon or B&N for that, but copyright stuff and even International support or supply chain restrictions.

It is difficult to provide on going support or sell books around the globe. Laws change from place to place and if you want to be successful, you need to provide same good customer support here or in Brazil, Colombia, whatever. That's why i believe some companies just remain locally, to reduce cost and improve service.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:55 PM   #22
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I honestly don't understand why people insist in rooting devices ....

Why Netflix if you have Amazon Video On demand and Prime? Granted, I have both, but I think 7" is too small for that anyway, don't you think? I've used my wife's HTC Windows phone and Netlifx and it is too small for watching a 2 hr movie. 10" is probably better.

If I jump and buy one of these, will be for the software itself and Amazon's integration. Rooting will "kill" that.

But that's just me ...
Yeah, I have iPad and Netflix and after a couple of weeks, I hardly use the iPad for Netflix.. Why? Because I have an actual TV! I guess if I'm stuck somewhere with nothing to do and wifi is available, then yeah, but otherwise...
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:55 PM   #23
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Great article!

Personally, I think I'll wait for the 10" model next year. However, I realize a lot of people are really looking forward to the 7" model, and I'm happy for y'all.

I'm really not up on the ins-n-outs of Android, but from the article it looks like Amazon has customized Android to create their own version that will run their apps, but may not run all Android Apps. Am I interpreting that part of the article correctly? If so, will this be a big deal? I mean are there Google Apps that are must haves? Or is the concept of just not supporting industry standards enough to rub you the wrong way?

Last edited by Daithi; 09-02-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #24
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Yeah, I have iPad and Netflix and after a couple of weeks, I hardly use the iPad for Netflix.. Why? Because I have an actual TV! I guess if I'm stuck somewhere with nothing to do and wifi is available, then yeah, but otherwise...
Agree!

The only few times I've seen myself using my iPad for netflix or wife's cellphone, was when I was traveling, airport. And once I'm out of USA, no Netflix, 'cause the IP restriction.

It's nice to have it though, but it's not a must for me. I rather use the iPad for browsing Internet, emails, reading magazines or PDFs, or using Kindle app.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #25
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
You know, I'm kind of amazed that people expected that Amazon was going to launch some kind of Android Jesus tablet, as good as the Ipad but half the price and totally stock Android and open.

When did Bezos ever say that Amazon would do anything like that?
When has Amazon ever done anything like that?
Lastly , what's the business case for anything like that?

Amazon is building a device according to its corporate self-interest. Well, hoocouldanode?
Yes, I think it was reasonable to expect the Kindle tablet to somehow compete with either the iPad or Nook Color, its two main competitors.

Instead, it's simply a Nook Color clone, right down to price.

I don't see how this does anything for them. They've essentially ceded the fight against Apple. And it doesn't do much for them vs B&N, since it offers nothing a Nook Color doesn't (and I'm sure that will be much cheaper by the time this comes out).
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:06 PM   #26
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:

I don't see how this does anything for them. They've essentially ceded the fight against Apple.
I don't think Amazon sees themselves in a fight with Apple-at least not with this move-this is a direct attack on the Nook Color.

Quote:
And it doesn't do much for them vs B&N, since it offers nothing a Nook Color doesn't (and I'm sure that will be much cheaper by the time this comes out).
I think it potentially offers a lot more than the Nook Color-an already established ecosystem without rooting, millions of credit card accounts already, and a trusted brand name.

The rumored free Amazon Prime account would be the killer feature though, imho.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:06 PM   #27
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Smart of Amazon to release the low-end version first. This really is what most tablet manufacturers should have done to compete with the iPad. Build your customer base first and then, release the high end version once you've got people flocking to your device.
Those are really two different markets with different expectations of what a tablet should do. For the most part, the average consumer would be quite happy with an inexpensive Nook Color-like tablet running Amazon's content. It'll never see enterprise use, nor will it need to do things like HDMI, PDF, navigation, shoot video, etc.

Looks like Amazon's strategy is to produce two tablets for two different markets: a 7" for the Nook Color crowd and a 10" for the iPad crowd. The main problem other makers have is thinking there's a one-size-fits-all tablet; and there isn't. Amazon realizes this and will exploit it just in time for the lucrative holiday season.

Amazon for the win this Christmas.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:07 PM   #28
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
At first I thought you wrote "Amazon treats Canadians like be-headed step children". Upon reflection, I'm not sure who is closer to the mark ....

Quote:
But I would not blame Amazon or B&N for that, but copyright stuff and even International support or supply chain restrictions.

It is difficult to provide on going support or sell books around the globe. Laws change from place to place and if you want to be successful, you need to provide same good customer support here or in Brazil, Colombia, whatever. That's why i believe some companies just remain locally, to reduce cost and improve service.
Yes, well, there is this thing called the North American Free Trade Act and, last time I checked, Toronto is a 90 min drive to Buffalo ... we're a little closer than Brazil. True, we speak real English here ...

It is perfectly easy for Amazon to manage copyright and International support and "supply chain restrictions" with respect to Canada but it simply chooses not to. (Wal-mart and Apple manage ok.) Glasgow is somewhat further away from New York than Montreal but it gets treated to deeper product coverage. For that matter, Washington State -- where Amazon's head office resides and which is Bezo's stomping grounds -- like, touches Canada.

This is a source of some frustration.

Go, Kobo, go!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #29
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
No mention about weight compared to the NOOKcolor. That's a biggie for me.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #30
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Go, Kobo, go!
So, are you now rooting for a KoboColor?
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote