Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #271
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Actually, come to think of it, you may be right on that-for now. I would say that Apple does want to make more money selling content in the long run. Certainly its important for Apple that it makes deals with content providers so that it can get content delivered on the iPad
The last sentence is much more key than the second though.
They want to get as much content as possible onto the iOS platform (and ideally exclusive to the platform), because that enhances its value, and will let them sell more hardware. This is important even if they don't actually make much money selling the content.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:44 PM   #272
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Precisely! You can take that same money and put together a system with full range speakers that will show just how poorly those tiny speakers are. Size does make a difference, and those speakers range can only go so high or so low leaving out everything else that's there.

They succeed only because they have high "wife approval factor", are tops when it comes to advertising, and are easy to put together.

I'll take good sound over all the above any day.
Spoken like an unmarried man
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2011, 04:02 PM   #273
graff_king
Enthusiast
graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook STR, Kindle 3 wifi, i4s, htc evo, BB 9810, moto xoom,NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Meh, I've found Bose to be heavy on the bass. Given its popularity, apparently, the masses like bass-heavy. By the way, Polk, Klipsch, B&W, etc also charge a premium (heck, some brands charge much, much higher premiums than Bose does). They just don't enjoy the brand-awareness that Bose does with regular consumers.
https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliesadd1/offtopic.gif As someone who has worked in the A/V industry for the better part of a decade I am curious as to what other product lines you have compared Bose audio to? Based on the fact that across the board the joke is, "If it has bass it's not Bose". Yes some other audio brands charge more but you get a superior product, based on technology and end user reviews of those products. I have seen and built audio systems in homes and I promise you I have pulled more Bose products out of those homes to be replaced by another brand than any other. There is a reason Bose locks their products in a demo mode when on display in stores and threatens any salespeople that unlock them to use another audio source for demo.
Sorry for the rant, just a burn point with me.
As for fanboyism as a whole, it amounts to digital **** measuring. Every consumer has a right to prefer a brand or product of their choosing. My preference is for whatever works for me at the time. I carry an iPhone 4 and a Htc Sensation. Both have pros and cons and I can debate both for days if that thread were to appear. https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliesadd1/drinks.gif
graff_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:17 PM   #274
AdrianM
Connoisseur
AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: nook, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Precisely! You can take that same money and put together a system with full range speakers that will show just how poorly those tiny speakers are. Size does make a difference, and those speakers range can only go so high or so low leaving out everything else that's there.

They succeed only because they have high "wife approval factor", are tops when it comes to advertising, and are easy to put together.

I'll take good sound over all the above any day.
Some Bose speakers have a frequency response hole between the crossover of the mid-range driver and the woofer too; in other words, they are incapable of reproducing some of the lower-middle frequencies you have in your music. Not surprising coming from a company that spends more on marketing than R&D; but those marketing dollars have been well spent in convincing Joe Average that Bose is a quality speaker manufacturer.

And, FWIW, even if there are physical limits to what little speakers can do, there are many other "lifestyle" speakers that look better and produce a far superior sound, probably for a lot less money.

Last edited by AdrianM; 09-09-2011 at 04:22 PM.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #275
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
And, FWIW, even if there are physical limits to what little speakers can do, there are many other "lifestyle" speakers that look better and produce a far superior sound, probably for a lot less money.
Yeah, like my Infinities!

Just had to put my two cents in since this thread has gone off topic...
Anyway, I plan on keeping my Kindle 3 a long time. It does exactly what I want it to do. The only thing I would get a tablet for is to watch movies in bed. Not worth spending my money on...
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #276
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Let's all hold hands and agree that Bose sucks.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:32 PM   #277
graff_king
Enthusiast
graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook STR, Kindle 3 wifi, i4s, htc evo, BB 9810, moto xoom,NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
Let's all hold hands and agree that Bose sucks.
That made me chuckle, thank you. I would prefer a bonfire instead of holding hands.
graff_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:25 PM   #278
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Spoken like an unmarried man
Actually, I'm an unmarried woman who hangs out on the Polk forum board and they endlessly complain about the WAF!

This is my system:

Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:04 AM   #279
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
This has been a very enjoyable discussion. Can't wait to see the thread following Amazon's release. We'll be able to knit a sweater out of it.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:35 AM   #280
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
This has been a very enjoyable discussion. Can't wait to see the thread following Amazon's release. We'll be able to knit a sweater out of it.
And mittens, hats, jackets, blankets.......
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote