Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-04-2008, 12:47 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Post Yet Another Thread on Page Numbers (when will it stop?)

If you want an ergonomic reader that works well for holding in one hand, I highly recomend the 505. It is very nice for holding in one hand for reading/page turning. And as you may have read, people want proper page numbers which only Sony has.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:17 PM   #2
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And as you may have read, people want proper page numbers which only Sony has.
The eBookwise 1150 and REB 1200 have a flawless page number display, as well!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
The eBookwise 1150 and REB 1200 have a flawless page number display, as well!
Likewise Iliad has a very accurate page number display.
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:24 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingston View Post
Likewise Iliad has a very accurate page number display.
Really? I have heard that there is no proper implementation of page numbers in an mobipocket device, or are you saying that pdf files are accurately displayed with page numbers.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:09 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The iLiad has exactly the same page numbering bugs with Mobi files that every other Mobi device does. They appear to be inherent in the Mobi reader itself.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2008, 04:20 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Is this the "progress bar" thing? Kindle seems to have a modified version of that idea. I'm guessing that they just took the way mobi calculates progress and made it a bit more transparent to the user by telling you the location number.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:33 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, exactly. There's nothing wrong with the progress bar; the issue is with the actual page number that some version of the Mobi Reader also display. It's not terribly accurate.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:55 PM   #8
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, exactly. There's nothing wrong with the progress bar; the issue is with the actual page number that some version of the Mobi Reader also display. It's not terribly accurate.
The progress bar display the same thing as the page number I would assume so the progress bar is not terrible accurate either.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:57 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
The progress bar display the same thing as the page number I would assume so the progress bar is not terrible accurate either.
the progress bar is just the number of bytes you have read divided by the number of bytes in the file. It is not linear is there are images in the file.

Dale
Old 04-04-2008, 05:06 PM   #10
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
the progress bar is just the number of bytes you have read divided by the number of bytes in the file. It is not linear is there are images in the file.
Yes, and I think the page number you jump to is calculated in the same way.

I do not think it is the numer of bytes you have read but the number of bytes up to the current file position which is not the same for an HTML file.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:14 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:

I do not think it is the numer of bytes you have read but the number of bytes up to the current file position which is not the same for an HTML file.
The book I did my "paging vs. jumping" test on was illustrated, and there were a couple of pictures in the bit I paged through. I wonder if that might have contributed to the rather extreme error I found (14 pages in 52)? I'm about to go to bed now, but I'll repeat the experiment in the morning with a book that doesn't have any pictures, and see if it's any more accurate.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:14 PM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The book I did my "paging vs. jumping" test on was illustrated, and there were a couple of pictures in the bit I paged through. I wonder if that might have contributed to the rather extreme error I found (14 pages in 52)? I'm about to go to bed now, but I'll repeat the experiment in the morning with a book that doesn't have any pictures, and see if it's any more accurate.
The image in the MobiPocket data is just a pointer to a record so it should not matter but it is probably worth testing to be sure.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:05 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Yes, almost. The progress bar is exactly that but the page number is skewed a bit in that the reader has knowledge of where you currently are in the book if you got there from reading from the beginning. It counts the pages as you go so where you are is accurate. It also remembers the boundaries back a few pages so you can backup and it will be accurate. At least that is the way the MobiPocket reader itself works. I can't say for third party implementations. Given the page starting location can be referenced exactly to a starting point in the file the jump can be calculated slightly more accurately that just distance from the beginning of the file. This is what provides a false sense to many people that it is accurate. You really have to test it out to know for sure. A few jumps from approximated to approximated locations will tell the tale.

Dale
Old 04-07-2008, 08:30 AM   #14
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Yes, almost. The progress bar is exactly that but the page number is skewed a bit in that the reader has knowledge of where you currently are in the book if you got there from reading from the beginning. It counts the pages as you go so where you are is accurate. It also remembers the boundaries back a few pages so you can backup and it will be accurate. At least that is the way the MobiPocket reader itself works. I can't say for third party implementations. Given the page starting location can be referenced exactly to a starting point in the file the jump can be calculated slightly more accurately that just distance from the beginning of the file. This is what provides a false sense to many people that it is accurate. You really have to test it out to know for sure. A few jumps from approximated to approximated locations will tell the tale.
Yes, and the tale for the Cybook is that it is totally inaccurate.

What do you mean that the jump can be calculates more accurately? If you have html code which contains comments or other markup that are not displayed then it will not be possible to calculate the jump accurately at all if the jump is intended to be pages.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:51 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes, and the tale for the Cybook is that it is totally inaccurate.
I think that to say it's "totally inaccurate" is putting it a little strongly. It seems to routinely have an error of about a dozen pages, but that's an absolute error, not a relative one. eg if you jump, say, 80% of the way through a book, you'll end up within about a dozen pages of the "true" 80% point. That's good enough for many purposes.

It would be a lot better described as an approximate positioning mechanism rather than an exact "page count", however.