I am using search function. 21 14.89%
I use shelves. 53 37.59%
I'd like to have collections. 13 9.22%
I don't need it. 59 41.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2013, 02:21 AM   #1
theonna
One
theonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony, Kindle,Pocketbook, Nook...
Would you benefit from file manager on your Kobo reader?

As subject says- would you benefit from adding a file manager to your Kobo reader?
theonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:53 AM   #2
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
I'd be so disappointed with Kobo if they replaced the current system with a file browser. In my opinion a file browser is the lazy way of presenting things.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2013, 04:23 AM   #3
theonna
One
theonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melon

I don't suggest replacing current ui, I would really like to add functionality of a file browser.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:48 AM   #4
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Well then, respectfully, I'd suggest you consider lobbying that they add it in the way I've suggested that would be in line with their database philosophy. A pseudo file browser based on the user being able to specify the criteria for the sort that orders the titles one wishes to browse by. I think otherwise you will never see it, as there would likely be too much involved and too little gained.

The main limitation of a file browser is that you are constrained to only browsing in the hierarchy established by the file structure. If you order your files as Genre:Author:Title then want to look for a specific title you can't remember in a Genre you do remember and don't remember the author you are in for a world of hurt and in for a lot of directory hopping, whereas a browser configurable to show Genre:Title would allow you to drill down to the list of all the titles for that Genre without opening and closing endless Author directories. A huge time savings. That's why I'm in favor of such an approach, that and that they already have the database.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:03 AM   #5
theonna
One

TechniSol I'd take any file manager functionality, real or mock.
Especially if work with database would improve in speed.
As far as lobbying for it, that is why I posted a poll, if I am just one of the few crazies, then no bother. If a lot of people find that they'd like to have file browser functionality on their Kobos, then I hope that Kobo employees did not forgo this forum completely.
Advert
Old 06-14-2013, 05:05 AM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I may be in the minority, but I have relatively few books on my reader at any one time. I have calibre server setup so that my "true" ip address http://7x.x5.xx8.79:1xx8/ can be accessed even when I am away from my home network. I can use the browser and find books in so many different ways if I want to add books to my device on the go.

I also don't have thousands upon thousands of books, in any case. I am amazed at how many I have purchased in three years, but it really isn't all that hard to keep things sorted just using calibre. It helps that I used calibre from pretty much day one and I have always added books one at a time as I buy them.

For the books I do have loaded on my device, search really works for me if I don't remember the complete title of a book or the author, or if I have placed it on a shelf whose name I can't remember at the time (don't laugh, it happens).

Last edited by taming; 06-14-2013 at 05:08 AM. Reason: spelling and some weird sentence structure
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:11 AM   #7
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I like your solution, Taming. Unfortunately, I don't have a fixed IP address and my home network travels with my cell phone, a hotspot. I only have about 200+ ebooks now, but I'm hoping for a way to handle a bunch more when I do have more. At the same time, my library is in Calibre too. The shelves alone, not to mention the conversion and filters make it well worthwhile. I'm more interested in what will happen when I start filling up an SDHC card.

That's my interest in it. Beyond the fact that I'm interested in intelligent design and seeing some real benefit from that database. Plus, I think it a better solution than a bog standard file browser.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:21 AM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
I like your solution, Taming. Unfortunately, I don't have a fixed IP address and my home network travels with my cell phone, a hotspot. <big cut>
I don't have a fixed IP address either, TechniSol. I found though that my home ISP (shaw cable) almost never changes it up. I think it has changed twice in three years. If my IP address changed constantly, it definitely wouldn't work well.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:07 AM   #9
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
theonna, could you explain the difference between collections and shelves.

Thanks.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:32 PM   #10
theonna
One

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcj View Post
theonna, could you explain the difference between collections and shelves.

Thanks.
As someone said before collections are functionally similar to shelves, with the difference that information for shelves is stored in the main database, and collection information is in small xml file, which makes it easier to manage on your computer via scripts, as many Kindle owners do.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #11
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Not looking good for the file browser--currently over 50% don't "need" it. But need and want are not the same, so that option is poorly worded; there are a lot of things I don't need but I do want....however I neither need nor want a file browser on my Kobo.

Last edited by ShellShock; 06-14-2013 at 02:24 PM.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I'm in the do not want or need camp. OTOH, if Kobo implements a file browser like interface using the database as an information source, it would not affect me. OTOH, it would be fun since books purchased from Kobo appear in a single directory with a string of hex characters for a file name with no extension. Still if you are going to fake a file browser, substituting pseudo filenames from information in the database would be doable.

Just another item that I would add to the Facebook stuff on my will never use list.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #13
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonna View Post
As someone said before collections are functionally similar to shelves, with the difference that information for shelves is stored in the main database, and collection information is in small xml file, which makes it easier to manage on your computer via scripts, as many Kindle owners do.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
I'm not very tech savy so this explanation helps. Again, thanks
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #14
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
To me using folders (or rather directories) is a very inefficient way to organize books so I wouldn't use a filebrowser. But I also wouldn't mind one being there as long as its inclusion doesn't break shelves (and more importantly the ability to let Calibre create them).
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #15
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
While Cool Reader with its internal file manager is (still?) not available, a good thing would be to have "auto collections" something like the ones rupor implemented on T2: so that each folder with books automatically were shown as a separate collection or a shelf. You can have other shelves as well, those auto-shelves do not replace the regular ones.
That would eliminate the need to have a separate file manager.

As to the inefficiency of folders as the way of organizing books - maybe so, but with huge numbers of books it is a fast ant simple way. It does not require importing books into Calibre. Besides, it is not clear how many books Calibre can really handle before choking.
And in a case of multi-author series etc, I add "see there" instead of an actual book several times. It is really no big deal to get to the book. If you have a file manager, that is .

Last edited by parkher; 06-14-2013 at 04:34 PM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote