Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-13-2008, 03:58 PM   #1
gshipley
gshipley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Making sense of location numbers

Trying to figure out what exactly the location numbers are. The only thing I find hard to get used to is not knowing exactly how many "pages" are left in the book. I really wish they would add this. You should be able to figure out what page you are based on the font size and how many "next page" clicks it will take to get to the end.

Frustrated.
gshipley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:11 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
A Kindle "location" increment is 128 bytes, which no one likes, see What is the page number conversion?.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2008, 06:51 PM   #3
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
On my pda, where I've read books for years now, changing the font size causes a looong pause while it re-calculates the page numbers. That's not really desirable either! So I don't mind the Kindle's numbers. It doesn't spend any time doing page calculating.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote