Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 11:46 PM   #1
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Cloud Atlas

I just saw the preview of the movie Cloud Atlas. Someone showed it to me without me knowing what it was. It was an awesome movie trailer, but it mentioned at the start that it was from a best-selling novel. All the way through I thought that it must be one brilliant novel.

When the title came up I almost gasped. So this is Cloud Atlas?!

I own Black Swan Green having purchased it in a discount book store a week ago but had been interested in Cloud Atlas also. Would have scooped it up if it were on the shelves that day.

But after that preview, I feel I have to read this book. Who's read it? Is it amazing?
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:45 AM   #2
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I mentioned it in the reading recs thread, but yes I'm interested too!

Having just read Black Swan Green by the same author and liking it, I can say without knowing too much about Cloud Atlas that it looks very different from BSG. But the film looks really interesting and I'd love to read the book first.

I don't have a lot of space left to squeeze in extra books with the tight fit of what's still left on my challenge list for the year, but if I can I hope to fit this one in.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
apbschmitz
Lord of Frogtown
apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
For what it's worth, I read Cloud Atlas, then ran out to get Ghostwritten and The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet. In short, one great book that makes you want to read another and another. Definitely recommended, though a slight warning might be worthwhile: don't give up if these novels seem a bit slow or confusing at first.
apbschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Reading Cloud Atlas right now. It is fascinating, and so well written. The way Mitchell is able to change his whole style at will is astonishing. Can't wait to keep reading.

Black Swan Green was the first book of his I read, about a year and a half ago. I found it awe-inspiring how Mitchell subtly changed his character's thought processes during that one year period, his 13th year, in which he matured from a boy into a young man.

I've also read Ghostwritten (brilliantly written, but I confess I didn't "get" the ending), No.9Dream (mesmerizingly surreal). Have yet to read The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet but it's on my list. Have become a huge fan of David Mitchell.

P.S. If anyone can recommend similar authors, please do! I'd throw out Margaret Atwood as a similar writer.

Last edited by usuallee; 10-09-2012 at 10:42 AM. Reason: P.S.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Reading a review of the recent movie Atlas Shrugged, Pt 2 made me think of this book which perhaps shows the ultimate consequences of the kind of selfishness that Rand champions.

“Why fight the 'natural' (oh, weaselly word!) order of things? Why? Because of this―one fine day, a purely predatory world shall consume itself. In an individual, selfishness uglifies the soul; for the human species, selfishness is extinction.”
― David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas
BenG is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert