Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-08-2010, 11:43 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
New Kindle firmware available

You can get it here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...00&tag=kwab-20

I can't see any changes. What about you?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:50 PM   #2
estrial
small is good
estrial doesn't litterestrial doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy S
I heard its supposed to help with the freezing. (cross my fingers) My kindle has not freezed for the past 4 days. I will wait till it does it again to install this new firmware I really hope it will work for everyone! we don't want to return the now kindle do we? Heeheehe. Especially not after its been my best buddy while traveling to work for an hour on public transport each day thru and fro.
estrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 11:52 PM   #3
distant.star
I would prefer not to.
distant.star began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks. This may be good news.
distant.star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:59 PM   #4
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Looking at the update file itself, it went from 3.0 (515460094) to 3.0.1 (525120101)

The kernel was updated along with the kernel modules. Somebody mentioned that the 5 way repeat is different now.

169 file patches. Most of them are very small and don't appear to be changing very much. The files with significant changes are the browser, the reader, Topaz support, font support, character sets, some sort of API framework (KDK?) and the home screen.

I haven't gotten around to examining the changes to the Kindle source release yet.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:29 AM   #5
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Changes to the kernel from the source:

The 5 way driver has had the workqueue changed to non blocking.
Power management for the SDIO interface which the the WiFi chip connects to was altered slightly.
The WiFi driver was altered to handle unloading better which is probably related to the SDIO power management changes.
The USB controller driver has had a large number of changes related to power management and something to do with audio output as it won't suspend the USB controller if it is playing something. The 3G modem in the 3G+WiFi model is connected via USB but there was a minor change to the USB OTG driver as well.

None of the other packages in the source bundle were changed from 3.0 to 3.0.1

Last edited by Tiersten; 09-09-2010 at 12:35 AM.
Advert
Old 09-09-2010, 01:33 AM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I was averaging about 2 reboots/freezes per day prior to installing the 3.0.1 update. It has been 4 full days of use since then, with no problems.

It's interesting that they had so many changes ready to roll.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:38 AM   #7
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It's interesting that they had so many changes ready to roll.
It isn't too unusual. They would have frozen the firmware image way before any Kindle ever shipped since it would need to be programmed into every single one at the factory and the development team would have been continuing to fix bugs and add features since then.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:45 AM   #8
Corran006
Connoisseur
Corran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle 3
So is this a beta one they are testing or is this a final one?

oh never mind I read it over more, its early one.

I only had two crashes, so I think i will wait for the final update for 3.01

Last edited by Corran006; 09-09-2010 at 01:50 AM.
Corran006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:23 AM   #9
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I have just downloaded and installed it, I had 5/10 minutes to play as I am at work and in that time I browsed the store, bought 1 book, two samples, went back and forth between collections adding the new items and went back to the store. In that time all items had downloaded and the response time was very quick, I hadn't noticed a lag in response time before 3.0.1, but its much noticably faster.

Prior to the update I didn't get many freezes and reboots, maybe 5 in a week, but I did have them when browing the store, and downloading samples and then moving between folders quite quickly. My initial reaction is the update is good, and worth installing

Last edited by Josieb1; 09-09-2010 at 02:48 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:45 AM   #10
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I think I will Wait for the proper update as I haven't been having problems anyway
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:47 AM   #11
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
I was having quite a lot of freezes and restarts daily so I installed the update last night.

My Kindle was given a very good workout last night for about 4 hours which included web use - so far no problems at all so I'm hoping the update has fixed things for me.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:54 AM   #12
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
Excellent! Just installed it, will monitor it over the next few days and see if there's a difference. And if there's one, I'll notice it, since I was having freezing 3-4 times a day. Almost felt like a memory leak or something, the more you tried to do (keypresses, etc, or if the browser was loading and you hit menu or something) it would freeze and then reboot.
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:03 AM   #13
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Almost felt like a memory leak or something, the more you tried to do (keypresses, etc, or if the browser was loading and you hit menu or something) it would freeze and then reboot.

Thats exactly what was happening with me, its like the kindle could only manage one thing at a time, and only in a specfic order, if you messed around with that and tried to do various random things it couldn't cope
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:35 AM   #14
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
yeah, felt like a memory leak to me too. Mine would slow down then freeze or reboot. Hoping the update will help. I haven't really tested mine out too much yet, going quite gentle with it. I know I will get the sick feeling again if it freezes or reboots, so trying to make sure it plays nice for a day or two first before I experience disappointment LOL

Remember to report any issues after update as they are still fine tuning it I think.
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:21 AM   #15
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
If Amazon is not pushing it onto the Kindle, is that a sign that they consider it non-essential?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote