Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-18-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
christineb
christineb rocks like Gibraltar!christineb rocks like Gibraltar!christineb rocks like Gibraltar!christineb rocks like Gibraltar!christineb rocks like Gibraltar!christineb rocks like Gibraltar!christineb rocks like Gibraltar!christineb rocks like Gibraltar!christineb rocks like Gibraltar!christineb rocks like Gibraltar!christineb rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle PW, iphone 4, ipad 3
Section breaks

I have several ebooks with blank lines used to denote scene changes within chapters. These blank lines disappear when I convert to LRF or EPUB with Calibre. Ive tried conversion from pdf, html, and rtf and get the same results. Is there any way to keep the blank lines during conversion?

I have found that lit conversions work fine but I have no converter to lit.
christineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:39 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
post an example HTMl that shows this problem
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2009, 10:09 PM   #3
christineb
christineb rocks like Gibraltar!christineb rocks like Gibraltar!christineb rocks like Gibraltar!christineb rocks like Gibraltar!christineb rocks like Gibraltar!christineb rocks like Gibraltar!christineb rocks like Gibraltar!christineb rocks like Gibraltar!christineb rocks like Gibraltar!christineb rocks like Gibraltar!christineb rocks like Gibraltar!

I looked at several html files. Those that lose the spacing just use a line break for it. Another file used a paragraph with nbsp in it and the conversion kept the extra line. The books are not public domain so I'll have to create an example to post.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:20 PM   #4
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by christineb View Post
I looked at several html files. Those that lose the spacing just use a line break for it. Another file used a paragraph with nbsp in it and the conversion kept the extra line. The books are not public domain so I'll have to create an example to post.
Ah, I think I know what this is. XHTML doesn't allow a <br/> element directly inside the <body/>, and AdobeDE will ignore any it finds there. MSReader and Mobipocket Reader render such markup as a blank line, and thus it appears in many LIT and Mobipocket books.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:36 PM   #5
christineb

So if I'm editing an rtf file, how can I force a line break to be included during Calibre's conversion process?
Advert
Old 01-19-2009, 08:44 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Top level <br> elements should be handled correctly in 0.4.129
Old 01-20-2009, 03:09 PM   #7
besca147
besca147 began at the beginning.

I plucked up the courage to download Calibre and I did my first conversation from an old Gutenberg .txt file I downloaded last year to convert for my PSP.

Anyway, the conversion was brilliant but the document looked disappointing. All of the text just follows line after line. I would like to see new chapters on a brand new page.

I was unable to see a way of editing this in Calibre.

Is there something else I need to be doing or am I missing something?

Many thanks
besca147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:33 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You should use the HTML version of gutenberg books for better conversion.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:00 PM   #9
besca147

My brain's aching.

My computer's zipping the HTML file up - I don't want it to zip up! - so when I try to open it the .html, I get like three folders when I view it: Content (folder) Content (File) metadata (OPF file).

How I get the HTML is right clicking on the page and saving it.

Is that right?

Hang on... uh no, it says firefox document.

How does one get an html file?
Old 01-20-2009, 05:05 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Zipped up html is fine. I meant when you download the book from gutenberg use the html version rather than the txt version. Even if the HTML file is in a zip file, you can still add the zip file to calibre.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:37 PM   #11
besca147

Ok, I did that and the conversion worked ok. However, the contents page looks like a cheese string and while each chapter starts on a new page, I've got all these diddy page numbers at certain points in the text. It looks like a page in a bible

Is there some way to actually edit those bits prior to a conversion?
Old 01-20-2009, 05:54 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

There's no easy way to do that, you have to unzip and edit the html manually