Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-03-2008, 04:47 PM   #1
bookwormfjl
Book Junkie
bookwormfjl has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505; Cybook Gen 3; Kindle 1; Kindle 2; Kindle DX; Nook
Kindle helps tiny e-book market

Check this out. They still won't give the ebook the credit it deserves....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080403/...e_of_e_books_3

Last edited by bookwormfjl; 04-03-2008 at 08:38 PM.
bookwormfjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:42 PM   #2
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Isn't the article copyrighted? In that case it would be better to link to it than copy it entirely in your message.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2008, 05:57 PM   #3
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
I don't think it'll remain a niche forever. Prices will come down on the devices over time, and for many I guess that's the deciding factor.

However, I just can't see people who read 2 books a year, on holiday, and buy them in the airport on the way out switching to an electronic book reader.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I think there are few things that will take them out of the niche but price is definitely a big one. I think as the hardware improves, they'll become a lot more compelling. Only a hard core book fan is going to pay $300-$400 for a dedicated black and white 6" reader. Screen technology will improve. In a few years we may have color devices that are fast enough to replace LCDs and still have the readability of electronic ink. When that happens, tons of people will have them, even people who only read books occasionally. At that point, you will likely see a lot more periodicals go electronic. At some point along that road I think you'll also see them becoming a standard academic tool. When every kid in school has one, that will make a huge change. If they grow up reading on a device, they likely won't have that emotional attachment to paper that some of the folks in that article seem to think is universal and irrevocable.

Oh, and I have to agree with Taylor514ce here. That article should be linked, not copied whole. The site that's from deserves the page views.

Last edited by Alisa; 04-04-2008 at 01:19 PM. Reason: grammar fix
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:42 AM   #5
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
One quote in there really stood out to me.

"the head of the Association of American Publishers, Patricia Schroeder, rolled her eyes when asked about e-book devices: "I just look at these things and they're fine, but I just think ... "

In a recent AP interview, Schroeder spoke favorably of e-books, but said she still had not read one. "

The head of an association that could be massively affected by e-books... hasnt even taken a day or two to read something that could revolutionise her industry?

That just seems very short sighted of her to me and if I were a member it would certainly concern me.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2008, 12:03 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
It amazes me how many people there are out there that still assume you have to read ebooks on your computer. I think that's a large part of the resistance and the perception that you can't "cuddle up" with an ebook.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:13 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
It amazes me how many people there are out there that still assume you have to read ebooks on your computer. I think that's a large part of the resistance and the perception that you can't "cuddle up" with an ebook.
That is likely because most people thing eBook means PDF.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:46 PM   #8
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I think the perception is actually true since that and a smartphone/pda is what people own, and for most people the screen of the later is just too small.

The dedicated readers are way too expensive for a mass market, and the umpc's/internet tablets have not panned out yet.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-book market, kindle