Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-31-2012, 04:04 AM   #1
booklover81
booklover81 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Transfer my Calibre settings to new computer

I've spent a LOT of time tweaking and configuring my Calibre Library on my desktop. I have all my books on an external. How do I transfer my Calibre settings.. IE: plugins settings, custom columns, etc. to a different computer? I'm going to need to put it on a netbook because I'll be traveling for 2 months. Any way I can do this without a ton of trouble?

Thanks
booklover81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:25 AM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover81 View Post
I've spent a LOT of time tweaking and configuring my Calibre Library on my desktop. I have all my books on an external. How do I transfer my Calibre settings.. IE: plugins settings, custom columns, etc. to a different computer? I'm going to need to put it on a netbook because I'll be traveling for 2 months. Any way I can do this without a ton of trouble?
If you just transfer library folder, it will retain all your custom folders and other stuff.

As for plugins, I personally usually install then anew, but there has to be way to copy configuration file. I would put an unique word, like "popokatepetl" somewhere into configuration option and then search computer for a file that is less than 24 hours old, smaller than 1MB and containing word "popokatepetl".
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2012, 05:33 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Preferences->Miscellaneous->Open configuration directory

Note that copying configurations like this is not officially supported, but if you're lucky, it will just work.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:46 AM   #4
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I think you will find plugins need to be reinstalled unless the path for your calibre configuration directory Kovid mentioned above is *exactly* the same on both machines. Because inside one of calibre's configuration files (customize.py) it stores hard-coded full paths to "installed" plugins.

If your directories are different, you can still try Kovids suggestion. From a plugin perspective, at a minimum still copy across the plugins subfolder into your new configuration directory, then reinstall the plugins. The plugins store their configuration data in .json files in that plugins subfolder so it would allow you to keep your existing plugin settings for most of them.

There is the odd exception like the "Generate Cover" plugin which also stores full paths to the images, so you would need to copy those images across and modify the paths inside the plugins/Generate Cover.json file. I should really change that plugin so it stores paths relative to the calibre configuration folder which would make it more "transportable". As a workaround you can use the ability to export your cover settings, install the plugin on your new machine and then import those cover settings.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:57 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@kiwidude: Although customize.py does store absolute paths, IIRC they are not actually used. The plugin loading code constructs the path to the plugin from the plugin name. Only if the constructed name fails is the absolute path used.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2012, 06:20 AM   #6
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Ahhh, that is good to know, thanks. That just leaves the onus on me to sort out my plugins with any hard-coded paths then
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
booklover81
booklover81 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post

Note that copying configurations like this is not officially supported, but if you're lucky, it will just work.
Just wanted to say THANK YOU!! This is what I did and it worked . All I needed it for was for the Reading list and Goodreads sync plugins! I put the same info from my desktop to my netbook and then I was looking today because I need to transfer the info from the netbook to my moms desktop and I had forgotten how.
booklover81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:27 PM   #8
berend
berend began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post

Still works like a charm in 2020. I just transferred Calibre from my 6-years-old PC to my brand new one, including all preferences and plugins, in under 10 minutes
berend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:01 AM   #9
Kraftwerk
Zealot
Kraftwerk began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by berend View Post
Still works like a charm in 2020. I just transferred Calibre from my 6-years-old PC to my brand new one, including all preferences and plugins, in under 10 minutes
I've installed Calibre and all books onto my new Windows 10 Dell G5 laptop.
Plugins next: I'm not 100% sure what to do.
On my old laptop that I have Calibre installed I've opened the Calibre Configuration Directory folder.
So I need to copy all the information inside this folder, copy onto an external hard drive of some sort and paste into Configuration Directory on my new laptop?
Do I need to install the plugins first before doing this?
Is this correct?
Thanks

Last edited by Kraftwerk; 08-02-2020 at 08:12 AM.
Kraftwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:32 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraftwerk View Post
I've installed Calibre and all books onto my new Windows 10 Dell G5 laptop.
Plugins next: I'm not 100% sure what to do.
On my old laptop that I have Calibre installed I've opened the Calibre Configuration Directory folder.
So I need to copy all the information inside this folder, copy onto an external hard drive of some sort and paste into Configuration Directory on my new laptop?
Do I need to install the plugins first before doing this?
Is this correct?
Thanks
IF you copy the config folder over, IT HAS ALL YOUR PLUGINS. No additional loads needed
NOTE: Some Plugins store data in the Library DB. DO NOT use ADD BOOKS to import the Library. Simply copy the OLD Library FOLDER to the new PC.

The only thing, you may have to do after the copy is Switch/Create: Use Existing to point Calibre to the new path(s, if multiple Libraries) to each Library.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 11:05 AM   #11
Kraftwerk
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
IF you copy the config folder over, IT HAS ALL YOUR PLUGINS. No additional loads needed
NOTE: Some Plugins store data in the Library DB. DO NOT use ADD BOOKS to import the Library. Simply copy the OLD Library FOLDER to the new PC.

The only thing, you may have to do after the copy is Switch/Create: Use Existing to point Calibre to the new path(s, if multiple Libraries) to each Library.
It hasn't worked but this is due (as you mentioned above) to the incorrect path but I don't know the best way to correct it.
I need as much detail as possible on how to do this.
Thanks
Old 08-02-2020, 01:55 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraftwerk View Post
It hasn't worked but this is due (as you mentioned above) to the incorrect path but I don't know the best way to correct it.
I need as much detail as possible on how to do this.
Thanks
second paragraph above. That points Calibre to the desired Library, which will remain as the CURRENT one until you use the switch list. (The quick switch list remembers up to the last 5 used.)
Old 08-02-2020, 05:39 PM   #13
Kraftwerk
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
second paragraph above. That points Calibre to the desired Library, which will remain as the CURRENT one until you use the switch list. (The quick switch list remembers up to the last 5 used.)
Tried but couldn't get it to work.
What if I copied my Calibre Library and placed it where the path for the Calibre Configuration Directory folder expected it to be?
I then could delete the Calibre Library not needed.
The Configuration Directory should work as the path should be correct?
Can I then use Switch/Create: Use Existing to point to the new location of my library?
You mention the quick switch list remembers the last 5 used. I couldn't see any in any list?
Sorry for asking so many (most probably obvious) questions but I've had Calibre setup on my other laptop for years and forgotten how I installed it correctly all those years ago.

Last edited by Kraftwerk; 08-02-2020 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:36 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quick switch only appears if you have set up more than 1 Library.
Did yoy follow the instructions with the destination (new laptop) Calibre NOT running? Running will block or overwrite backdoor changes when it shuts down.

This works. I have done it dozens of times since 2010 (Windows XP-W7-W10, Ubuntu Linux, Mint Linux)
Old 08-03-2020, 06:24 AM   #15
Kraftwerk
Zealot

Still can't get it to work.
I'm going to start from scratch.
Can I reset Calibre so it is as if I am installing it for the first time on this laptop and I can choose the library location as I had it on my other laptop?
I'm going to use the 'Export/Import all Calibre data' feature.
Forgot about this feature and should have used in the first place. Hopefully it will work and I will have all my plugins this time.
The library currently has my books in it. If I can reset, will the reset delete the books and anything else in there or should I delete everything in there then reset?

Sorry this is taking so long.

Last edited by Kraftwerk; 08-03-2020 at 06:44 AM.