Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #31
Joshua.P
The Dark Knight
Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I think a problem some people have is they fear that their device or e-books will become obsolete. Maybe the old e-reader won't be able to support new books. Or the new e-reader support old books. So they feel safer sticking with paperbacks.
Joshua.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:57 AM   #32
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
And we shouldn't forget that the Fire is still US only.
Need to debug the product in a friendly market before sending it out into the cold cruel world.

(Standard practice for Japanese CE companies for decades. That's one reason they get the cool stuff first.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Need to debug the product in a friendly market before sending it out into the cold cruel world.

(Standard practice for Japanese CE companies for decades. That's one reason they get the cool stuff first.)
In the case of the Fire, it's a lot more to do with the fact that it's sold primarily as a content platform for Amazon's video services, which are US-only.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #34
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post

I don't even use wifi much on the T1,
I don't either. I really find the blinking of the e-ink devices very annoying when web surfing. And if you're on a website with a lot of flash content, . Just try www.bigfishgames.com on a T1 to see what I mean.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #35
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If what I have works, I don't need to upgrade. That might change with the IPad since the resell market is so strong but I doubt it.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2012, 11:21 PM   #36
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In the case of the Fire, it's a lot more to do with the fact that it's sold primarily as a content platform for Amazon's video services, which are US-only.
I thought Amazon bought Lovefilm last year.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/20/a...service-lovef/

That should be enough of a content provider to feed the FIRE in most of western Europe, if and when the do launch there.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:05 AM   #37
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I thought Amazon bought Lovefilm last year.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/20/a...service-lovef/
Yes, Amazon own it, but it's run as a separate entity - AFAIK you can't say, log into LoveFilm with your Amazon details, or use credits on your Amazon account to buy or rent movies or TV shows from them. And you certainly don't get access to LoveFilm included in an Amazon Prime subscription, as you do in the US for example.

FWIW, I found the choice of LoveFilm content to be pretty poor here in Britain; I had the trial, but didn't bother converting to the paid service. I have Netflix, but even that's of questionable value to me tbh<shrug>
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:11 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
Yes, Amazon own it, but it's run as a separate entity - AFAIK you can't say, log into LoveFilm with your Amazon details, or use credits on your Amazon account to buy or rent movies or TV shows from them. And you certainly don't get access to LoveFilm included in an Amazon Prime subscription, as you do in the US for example.

FWIW, I found the choice of LoveFilm content to be pretty poor here in Britain; I had the trial, but didn't bother converting to the paid service. I have Netflix, but even that's of questionable value to me tbh<shrug>
Yes, absolutely right. Although "LoveFilm" is owned by Amazon, it's not "tied in" to Amazon in any way.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #39
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Harry, we are the strange ones who think that an e-reader is worth that. Most people held off buying them until they were in the $200 or less range. Given that there are now LCD Tablets that do more than just read novels, I seriously doubt that people will be all that willing to pay more than $150 for an e-reader.
I was one of those people who held partly because of price, but also due to DRM. Once the price dropped I decided to get one because my book didn't always fit into my bag.

Now that I have one, I wish I would have gotten one sooner. I could easily see myself spending 200$ or so for an ereader. I am looking at getting a second for epubs.

I know DRM keeps several other people away. Others are bothered because they can not loan books out. People want ebooks to be like books.
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:26 PM   #40
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Reading (novels) is a speciality interest. It wouldn't actually bother me to have to pay $200 for a really good dedicated reader. I paid over $600 for my first eInk reader (a Sony PRS-500).
My KF, white text on black background, is really good (sorry Harry, I know it isn't available yet). I would pay even more if the battery life could be longer. Oh, and I would like someone to figure out how to hold these. The K4 is perfect without a cover or case, but the KF needs something. I have a cover, but that seems to be a little too much. If they could make it smaller so I could hold it without a case, that would be prefect.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:28 PM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
My KF, white text on black background, is really good (sorry Harry, I know it isn't available yet). I would pay even more if the battery life could be longer. Oh, and I would like someone to figure out how to hold these. The K4 is perfect without a cover or case, but the KF needs something. I have a cover, but that seems to be a little too much. If they could make it smaller so I could hold it without a case, that would be prefect.
You don't have to apologise - I'm perfectly happy with my iPad .
Old 05-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #42
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
You don't have to apologise - I'm perfectly happy with my iPad .
Hangs head in shame
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #43
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I am going to have to try that on my IPad.

So far I have been more focused on playing silly games.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #44
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I am going to have to try that on my IPad.

So far I have been more focused on playing silly games.
My DW made me take the Fire back and not let her have it except for Mondays when The New Yorker comes out. Apparently Angry Birds was eating her life.
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #45
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
The weirdest point about all this stuff about Kindle hardware sales is if they were actually so low, why did Amazon wait so long to launch the Kindle Touch outside of North America?

Personally, I jumped on my K3 because of the upgrade to a pearl screen over my previous e-ink device, but these latest two Kindles just didn't have anything that really appealed to me in the same way other than a slight reduction in size.

The excessive removal of buttons put me off even considering the KT and I'll wait for them to release one with page turns and their version of the glow light stuff probably.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote