Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-30-2007, 01:01 PM   #1
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Screen size, a problem?

I am thinking on buying a Sony PRS-505, but I am a bit worried about the screen size. I draw a square with the same size on a paper and it seems pretty small... I got a bunch of books in .lit .pdf .txt .rtf and .doc. Does the reader support doc, txt and rtf? and is there any good tools to convert a pdf to text and then read it on the reader? Is there any other handy progs that would help to convert books to the right size? How small text size is preferable, is 10 pt ok?
I also wonder how much space there is on the side of the screen berfore the text starts.

A bunch of questions

It would be reallye great if someone could answer these questions!
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:04 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
You can find the answers to most of those questions here. That entry is for the 500, but ~99% of it still applies to the 505. It'll get you a good grounding as to what to expect, then you'll only have a few holes to fill in.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2007, 01:26 PM   #3
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thx for the link.

16-20 pt in a RTF, that is quite a lot but it might not matter so much when the reader anyway reflows it. How many pages will normal a4 rtf be on the reader? The reason I'm asking is that I read pretty fast and I don't want to turn page to often and therefore be anoyed by the time it takes to turn page.

And I still wonder how wide margins there is on a page, I have some memory of that I have read that there was some hack that decreased it, is that true? On the official pictures it seems to be a pretty wide margin.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:36 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The physical margin of the screen is small - perhaps 2mm all round. How wide a margin a particular book has is, of course, entirely up to the creator of that book to decide.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:41 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The reason we typically bump up the font in an RTF is that the Reader's RTF engine shrinks it down -- 16 points in an RTF is roughly equivalent to 11 points in an LRF file, and probably a bit less on paper.

How many pages a "normal A4 RTF" would be on the Reader rather depends on how many pages the "normal A4 RTF" has in it to begin with.

The margins can be set in the RTF when you save it, so if you set, say 0.05" margins before you save the RTF, then that's what you'll get on the Reader.

let me suggest you download and install Sony's PC software, then you can load an RTF in it, and get an idea of how much text appears on a page. The eBook Library software works as an emulator for the Reader pages, the Fonts will appear way (way) bigger on the PC screen, but the amount of text per page is spot on.

You can find a link to the eBook Library software here.
Advert
Old 10-30-2007, 01:55 PM   #6
CTH
Zealot

well I was thinking on a one paged A4 rtf-file

The software sounds like a great idea, I tried to simulate the word amount in Word but I was not sure it would correct.
2 mm is not much, that is pretty nice to hear.

Last edited by CTH; 10-30-2007 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:22 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist

Ah, well a single A4 page would probably end up being just over 2 Reader "pages," but the software will give you the best feel for it -- just be sure you don't get fooled by the larger appearing font is all.

Most of us 'round here share your interest in having as little margin as possible.