Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-19-2016, 12:11 AM   #856
downtothelast
downtothelast began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle: Touch, Keyboard, 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Exactly when does it happen? Does the web page get opened with the message about authorising access? There should also be a message in the config dialog as well. Was that displayed and did you click yes?
I access the plugin by clicking preferences>plugins>Goodreads Sync>Authorize Plugins with Goodreads and then I get the message.

Nothing else pops up or opens. I don't see the config dialogue, just the pic below

downtothelast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 02:39 AM   #857
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtothelast View Post
I access the plugin by clicking preferences>plugins>Goodreads Sync>Authorize Plugins with Goodreads and then I get the message.

Nothing else pops up or opens. I don't see the config dialogue, just the pic below
Sorry, that doesn't make sense. The "Authorize plugin with Goodreads" button is on the Goodreads Sync configuration dialog. You can't press that button until after the dialog has opened. And when you press the button, the first thing it does is to open a web page in your browser. Then it should ask you whether you have clicked "Allow access" on the page.

Are you saying you managed to do the "Authorize plugin with Goodreads" by some other method? And that the web browser didn't attempt to open a page at Goodreads? This step has to run. I know of no way to authorize the plugin without doing this.

And if this is what you are seeing, then I need a debug log to look at. Run calibre in debug mode (right click on the preferences button and select "Restart in debug mode"), try the authorization and then close calibre. Post the complete log that is displayed.

Last edited by davidfor; 05-19-2016 at 02:44 AM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2016, 04:45 AM   #858
downtothelast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Sorry, that doesn't make sense. The "Authorize plugin with Goodreads" button is on the Goodreads Sync configuration dialog. You can't press that button until after the dialog has opened. And when you press the button, the first thing it does is to open a web page in your browser. Then it should ask you whether you have clicked "Allow access" on the page.

Are you saying you managed to do the "Authorize plugin with Goodreads" by some other method? And that the web browser didn't attempt to open a page at Goodreads? This step has to run. I know of no way to authorize the plugin without doing this.

And if this is what you are seeing, then I need a debug log to look at. Run calibre in debug mode (right click on the preferences button and select "Restart in debug mode"), try the authorization and then close calibre. Post the complete log that is displayed.
Sorry for the confusion... "I access the plugin by clicking preferences>plugins>Goodreads Sync>Authorize Plugins with Goodreads"

So the configure dialogue is open. When the "Authorize Plugins with Goodreads" button is pressed no web page is opened.

I'm using a mac and my default browser is Chrome. I'm not sure if that is related to the issue. The debug log is posted below:

calibre Debug log
calibre 2.56 embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Darwin-15.0.0-x86_64-i386-64bit Darwin ('64bit', '')
('Darwin', '15.0.0', 'Darwin Kernel Version 15.0.0: Sat Sep 19 15:53:46 PDT 2015; root:xnu-3247.10.11~1/RELEASE_X86_64')
Python 2.7.11
OSX: ('10.11.1', ('', '', ''), 'x86_64')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM && Goodreads Sync && Goodreads && Find Duplicates && Obok DeDRM
Starting up...
DEBUG: 0.0 obok::utilities.py - loading translations
DEBUG: 0.0 obok::dialogs.py - loading translations
DEBUG: 0.0 obok::config.py - loading translations
DEBUG: 0.1 obok::action_err.py - loading translations
HttpHelper::__init__: proxy=None
Started up in 8.61 seconds with 2058 books
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/Python/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 154, in main
return run_entry_point()
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/Python/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 114, in run_entry_point
return getattr(pmod, func)()
File "site-packages/calibre/debug.py", line 225, in main
File "site-packages/calibre/debug.py", line 191, in run_debug_gui
File "site-packages/calibre/gui_launch.py", line 63, in calibre
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 525, in main
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 377, in run_gui
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/bars.py", line 302, in do_trigger
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/actions/preferences.py", line 67, in do_config
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/preferences/plugins.py", line 289, in double_clicked
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/preferences/plugins.py", line 370, in modify_plugin
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/__init__.py", line 168, in do_user_config
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.config", line 1087, in authorize_plugin
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.core", line 192, in get_request_token_secret
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.core", line 120, in _oauth_request_get
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.core", line 171, in _handle_failure

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2016, 04:43 AM   #859
downtothelast

Hey Davidfor,

I upgraded to the newest version of Calibre (2.57) this morning and that seemed to fix the problem. Appreciate your willingness to take a look at it.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:37 AM   #860
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtothelast View Post
I upgraded to the newest version of Calibre (2.57) this morning and that seemed to fix the problem. Appreciate your willingness to take a look at it.
If it's working, I'll leave it. But, I don't think there has been any changes in the calibre that would have changed this. The alternative is that it was a problem at Goodreads. I do remember having some connection problems earlier in the week.
Advert
Old 05-31-2016, 12:14 AM   #861
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Is there a way for the plugin to download each title's numerical rating into Calibre?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:35 AM   #862
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

No, but the the Goodreads metadata source plugin can.
Old 06-26-2016, 03:33 PM   #863
mpegman
mpegman began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo aura hd
Hi, I'm mainly searching dutch books using goodreads. often I notice the plugin finds a different language of the same book.
mpegman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:51 PM   #864
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpegman View Post
Hi, I'm mainly searching dutch books using goodreads. often I notice the plugin finds a different language of the same book.
I suspect this is a question for the Goodreads metadata source plugin rather than this. But, I don't think that has a language preference in it. As I don't speak anything other than English, I haven't needed to look into a problem like this. Can you post an example that has the problem?
Old 07-27-2016, 05:54 PM   #865
Montana Harper
Zealot
Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone 12, Kindle Paperwhite 3
When I try to sync to Calibre from my "read" shelf on Goodreads, my review text is truncated in Calibre, and I can't figure out why.

The custom column I'm using in Calibre is set up as "Long text, like comments, not shown in the tag browser" and I'm not running up against a limit there, as I can type more text in the field manually with no problem. It looks like it's using the 420 character limit instituted for reading progress comments (as mentioned earlier in this thread), but I've definitely got the custom column linked with the "Review text column:" setting in the plugin. (I don't even know where reading progress comments would go, since there doesn't seem to be a place where you can choose which custom column they should be linked with.)

Thoughts?
Montana Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:49 AM   #866
oblox
Zealot
oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (7th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Harper View Post
When I try to sync to Calibre from my "read" shelf on Goodreads, my review text is truncated in Calibre, and I can't figure out why.

The custom column I'm using in Calibre is set up as "Long text, like comments, not shown in the tag browser" and I'm not running up against a limit there, as I can type more text in the field manually with no problem. It looks like it's using the 420 character limit instituted for reading progress comments (as mentioned earlier in this thread), but I've definitely got the custom column linked with the "Review text column:" setting in the plugin. (I don't even know where reading progress comments would go, since there doesn't seem to be a place where you can choose which custom column they should be linked with.)

Thoughts?
My thoughts on this was it was always a goodreads api limitation and nothing to do with the plugin.
oblox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:51 AM   #867
petzi
Connoisseur
petzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 7 Tablet, iPad mini 4, iPhone XS
Whenever I click into the button "Search Goodreads.com" from the window "Goodreads.com matches for ISBN" I got an error message.

Spoiler:
calibre, version 2.63.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>TypeError</b>:QUrl.fromEncoded(): argument 1 has unexpected type 'unicode'

calibre 2.63 embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Darwin-14.5.0-x86_64-i386-64bit Darwin ('64bit', '')
('Darwin', '14.5.0', 'Darwin Kernel Version 14.5.0: Thu Jun 16 19:58:21 PDT 2016; root:xnu-2782.50.4~1/RELEASE_X86_64')
Python 2.7.11
OSX: ('10.10.5', ('', '', ''), 'x86_64')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (6, 4, 3) && Library Codes (1, 0, 27) && Read MP3 AudioBook metadata (1, 0, 79) && Annotations (1, 4, 7) && Kindle Collections (1, 7, 17) && Favourites Menu (1, 0, 4) && Search The Internet (1, 7, 6) && Quality Check (1, 9, 11) && Goodreads (1, 1, 11) && Quick Preferences (1, 4, 1) && Goodreads Sync (1, 9, 0) && Find Duplicates (1, 6, 2) && Job Spy (1, 0, 53) && BOL_DE (0, 7, 2) && Import List (1, 1, 5) && Zotero Metadata Importer (1, 0, 33) && Amazon.com terciary source (1, 0, 0) && Consolidate All Library Metadata (2, 0, 19) && Clipboard Search (1, 3, 1) && EpubMerge (2, 0, 12) && Reading List (1, 6, 6) && Amazon.com secondary source (1, 0, 0)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.dialogs", line 1046, in search_on_goodreads
TypeError: QUrl.fromEncoded(): argument 1 has unexpected type 'unicode'

Is this an error - maybe related to German Umlaute? (But the error message comes with English books as well) or maybe I did something wrong?
petzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:40 AM   #868
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by petzi View Post
Whenever I click into the button "Search Goodreads.com" from the window "Goodreads.com matches for ISBN" I got an error message.

Spoiler:
calibre, version 2.63.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>TypeError</b>:QUrl.fromEncoded(): argument 1 has unexpected type 'unicode'

calibre 2.63 embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Darwin-14.5.0-x86_64-i386-64bit Darwin ('64bit', '')
('Darwin', '14.5.0', 'Darwin Kernel Version 14.5.0: Thu Jun 16 19:58:21 PDT 2016; root:xnu-2782.50.4~1/RELEASE_X86_64')
Python 2.7.11
OSX: ('10.10.5', ('', '', ''), 'x86_64')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (6, 4, 3) && Library Codes (1, 0, 27) && Read MP3 AudioBook metadata (1, 0, 79) && Annotations (1, 4, 7) && Kindle Collections (1, 7, 17) && Favourites Menu (1, 0, 4) && Search The Internet (1, 7, 6) && Quality Check (1, 9, 11) && Goodreads (1, 1, 11) && Quick Preferences (1, 4, 1) && Goodreads Sync (1, 9, 0) && Find Duplicates (1, 6, 2) && Job Spy (1, 0, 53) && BOL_DE (0, 7, 2) && Import List (1, 1, 5) && Zotero Metadata Importer (1, 0, 33) && Amazon.com terciary source (1, 0, 0) && Consolidate All Library Metadata (2, 0, 19) && Clipboard Search (1, 3, 1) && EpubMerge (2, 0, 12) && Reading List (1, 6, 6) && Amazon.com secondary source (1, 0, 0)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.dialogs", line 1046, in search_on_goodreads
TypeError: QUrl.fromEncoded(): argument 1 has unexpected type 'unicode'

Is this an error - maybe related to German Umlaute? (But the error message comes with English books as well) or maybe I did something wrong?
Could you try the beta in this post? I remember fixing something like this and my notes suggests this beta should have the fix in it.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:49 AM   #869
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Harper View Post

I rarely do write any reviews myself, so haven't really tested this. But, the only limit I can see in the code is that for the reading progress comments. There might be a limit in the API, but the documentation doesn't mention one. I'll have a play over the weekend and see what is going on.

For the progress comments, they aren't stored in the library. They will probably be different for each update, so reading them from a column might not be that useful. But, appending the new comment to an existing one might be the way to go.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:37 PM   #870
petzi
Connoisseur
petzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 7 Tablet, iPad mini 4, iPhone XS
Yep, this worked. Thank you!!
petzi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, goodreads