Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-30-2010, 11:44 AM   #1
Ranjana
Ranjana began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader touch edition
Public library for e books

Hi,

Just got ifted a Sony e book by my family. Still trying to figure it out!Any information on public libraries for e books will be welcome!
Ranjana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:25 PM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Welcome, Ranjana!

First of all, does your local library offer that service?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Welcome to MobileRead.

The Sony Reader Touch is a pretty nice present.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Welcome to Mobileread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjana View Post
Hi,

Just got ifted a Sony e book by my family. Still trying to figure it out!Any information on public libraries for e books will be welcome!
You will need to go to your public library internet site. Look for "Overdrive" and/or downloadable media. An alternative is to go to "Overdrive.com" and look up the the member libraries in your area.

If you have difficulty finding that information, add a post here with the city in which you live and we will look it up for you to determine if there is a public library in your city with ebooks.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:51 PM   #5
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
If you can go to a local branch the librarian may be able to help you. Mine had all the information I needed.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Hi,

Do a search on Mobile Read for "Philadelphia Free Library".

Enjoy your reader.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:23 PM   #7
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Do a search on Mobile Read for "Philadelphia Free Library".

Enjoy your reader.
Yes. $15.00 a year no matter where you live, and download from home on your computer. Pretty nice!
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:24 PM   #8
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
there is a wiki on this topic that may help you
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:55 PM   #9
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Some advice:

If you have not already installed the Sony software on a computer - dont.

Look for a freeware program called "Caliber" and install this instead.

Then go to the ebooks section of this fourm and download a few sample classic books.

Add these files/books to Caliber, then use it to send the books to your Sony reader.

Go to "www.inkmesh.com" and look for some free ebooks to download. Load these into Caliber and then to your sony.

Once you get the hang of this, you are ready to perhaps purchase some ebooks from Baen, Fictionwise, Diesel or any of the other websites.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:11 AM   #10
Jude2444
Jude2444 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS650
Hi, welcome to Mobiread. I also got my Sony a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, I live in a samllish town with limited resources at the library. For $25.00 a year, I got a library card for the Toronto library and am really enjoying borrowing books. Good luck!
Jude2444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:47 PM   #11
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
If you have a library card from your local library, go to the local library website, log in, and find out what options for ebooks exist. Most Public Libraries use "Overdrive" which gives you access to a respectable selection of books, fiction and non-fiction, to borrow for up to 21 days.

Once you know how, it's very easy to use.

Where are you from? Which public library system do you have a library card for?
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:56 PM   #12
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
If you have a library card from your local library, go to the local library website, log in, and find out what options for ebooks exist. Most Public Libraries use "Overdrive" which gives you access to a respectable selection of books, fiction and non-fiction, to borrow for up to 21 days.

Once you know how, it's very easy to use.

Where are you from? Which public library system do you have a library card for?
Our library allows up to 14 days max.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:16 AM   #13
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
My public library is pathetic. I did a scan of several categories of ebooks and it looks like every ebook they offer is public domain. Many were from Gutenberg.

Not that there is anything wrong with PD ebooks. However, I would expect a public library to offer more than just PD. I know, everyone is strapped for cash. But their selection is still pathetic.

When I run out of things to read from my backlog, I guess I'll sign up with the Phildelphia library for $15. They seem to have a decent ebook catalog.

Joe
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:43 AM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
Not that there is anything wrong with PD ebooks. However, I would expect a public library to offer more than just PD. I know, everyone is strapped for cash. But their selection is still pathetic.
I would expect a public library not to offer any PD ebooks. These ebooks are freely available from numerous websites and it make no sense for a public library to waste its time and resources by duplicating them.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:38 AM   #15
Doug Huffman
Banned
Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.

Location: Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
Device: KINDLE 3 WiFi
Excuse me! Try a wider point of view. Homes with broadband net access are very much in the minority here, even homes with computers.

Worse, our county library branch, that we do have, specializes in mass market pathetic trivial bathos. It specializes in wasting resources, money and trees.

I am having a great time burning PG 30,000 volume DVDs for my neighbors' use while we have NO entertainment links off-Island during the winter.
Doug Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote