Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-06-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
random66
random66 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Exclamation Missing covers with .mobi on Kindle 3

Hi there,

Wondering if anyone can help. I've just received a Kindle 3 for my birthday and have been trying to sync across my books from Calibre to it.

The books sync fine with no problem, (huge thanks to Kovid for making a wonderful application by the way) but I'm having an issue with missing covers on the Kindle itself.

All the metadata is correct, and the images show up when I browse the mobi file using the Calibre viewer. But I cannot get them to show up on the Kindle.

Is there something I'm missing here? Some box I've left unchecked? do I need to try a convert from .mobi to .mobi with different options?

Any help that anyone could provide with this would be great, thanks in advance.
random66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:22 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The Kindle opens books on the first page after the cover, press the previous page button to see the cover or use the menu
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
random66
random66 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The Kindle opens books on the first page after the cover, press the previous page button to see the cover or use the menu
You, sir, are amazing. Hit page back and there they are. I can't believe I didn't try that first.

I guess it's my fault for not checking through the documentation properly first. That's if it's even mentioned in there.

Thanks again!
random66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:19 AM   #4
major.tal
major.tal began at the beginning.

Hi Kovid,

Can we add a function to add a blank page to the beginning of the book (for kindles) so that it opens showing the cover?

Thanks!

Tal.
major.tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:07 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Kindle will never open showing cover, irrespective of whether there si a blank page at the start or not. That's a limitation of the Kindle.
Advert
Old 10-09-2010, 03:23 PM   #6
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Kovid, just an idea, I don't have a kindle and can't tell you if it will work or not, how about adding another 'false' cover which is just a blank image, would the real cover (edit: now first page), still be shown, or, is it as you say, a limitation of the kindle.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

That means that in the future when you convert the MOBI to something else, you will have two covers, or if you view the MOBI in something other than Amazon's *cough* pathetic *cough* MOBI viewer you will again have two covers.

You may not care about that, but it means I will have to deal with a gazillion complaints about it, in the future, so it's not going to happen.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:29 PM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Perhaps you should speak to the kindle people who are always asking for our feedback:P
Strangely enough kindle for PC shows the covers while the kindle does not.

Ask them why the publisher puts covers in the file if not for display purposes. Probably it is not intentional but is linked in some way to their idiot location number system. Like to meet the poor soul who dreamed that one up if he is not locked away for his own good

Myself, the only place I care about covers is in calibre. Makes it easy to see right off what book you are on and for me all of the different default covers get old real fast.
Used to be you could remove them and that is what I did if available covers were ugly.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:21 PM   #9
major.tal
major.tal began at the beginning.

Kovid,

This feature can be part of the Kindle output plugin, so everybody would be happy.

Thanks for you work thus far!

Tal.
major.tal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
.mobi, calibre, covers, kindle, missing