Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-16-2009, 06:34 PM   #16
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
It was great, wasn't it. Window's eventual victory was yet another example of the triumph of marketing over excellence.

I'll go looking for Irfanview after I've finished here. I'm not ready to go as far as Scruffy, though.

Regards, Alex
That is not the way I heard it. Microsoft kept modifying the version of windows at the time until OS/2 couldn't run it and then started requiring that version for apps with their dll's. What they did to break OS/2 was to make a call for non-existent memory that they never intended to use which OS/2 caught and errored on since it had memory protection.

Secondly they came out with Windows95 and everyone was so scared of past windows practice of using undocumented calls in the OS that when Microsoft offered to let them look at the source they signed up. The restriction to allowing to let them look at the source was that they were not permitted to port to any other OS. At the time Adobe Framemaker had promised an OS/2 version along with other Adobe products and they killed that port to get access to the Windows 95 source code.

Is this marketing? Not where I come from.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:39 PM   #17
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks, Dale. I accept your explanation.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:46 PM   #18
Happ
Enthusiast
Happ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Happ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Happ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Happ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Bebook
Hum... how do you associate an icon in Win7? Could not find a way...
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:15 PM   #19
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Here's a generic one...

Get it? "e" book...

m a r
Attached Files
File Type: zip ebook.ico.zip (590 Bytes, 432 views)
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:29 AM   #20
Happ
Enthusiast
Happ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Happ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Happ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Happ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2009, 10:32 AM   #21
pigster
pigster doesn't litterpigster doesn't litter

Device: GEB 1150, Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happ View Post
Hum... how do you associate an icon in Win7? Could not find a way...
Simple way is to open regedit and go to

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adobe.DigitalEditions\DefaultIco n

Open the (Default) key, for 32 bit Windows 7 it should be

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Digital Editions\digitaleditions.exe, 1

or for 64 bit

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Digital Editions\digitaleditions.exe, 1

The install doesn't always append the ', 1' correctly.
pigster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:43 PM   #22
Happ
Enthusiast

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2012, 11:21 PM   #23
pisceschick
Addict
pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Classic Nook, Kindle Keyboard, Nexus 7
I hope it's not too much of a faux pas to add to such an old topic, but since this came up as a top result in a Google search for info on editing my Windows 7 icons I decided to go ahead and do so.

I wanted to change the same "unknown file" icon type, and didn't feel comfortable mucking about in my registry so I did some searching and found a walkthrough and an application that worked very nicely for me!

Blog post: Using Default Programs Editor to Change File Type Icons in Windows 7 and Windows Vista
(Found via Microsoft Support)

And also, here is a link to the CNet page for the utility used.

For my icon, I recolored the mobi/azw icon to a lovely green close to that of the official epub logo. A nifty Photoshop plugin came in handy in saving the .ico filetype.
pisceschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:14 AM   #24
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Nice addition to the thread. It may help someone in a similar situation.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:39 AM   #25
pisceschick
Addict
pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Classic Nook, Kindle Keyboard, Nexus 7
Well, thanks! Glad to give back, I have gotten much help here! Love MR! <3
pisceschick is offline   Reply With Quote