Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 03-31-2014, 08:31 AM   #16
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I don't see why people care about syncing. As long as there is a working table of contents, I can always find my place in seconds. I don't rely on Amazon to sync anything, as I side load mine via Calibre. I don't think they've ever synced side loaded books, unless it was a book I uploaded to the Amazon Cloud from Calibre, then downloaded to the device. Those documents should sync. But hooking up the Fire HD with USB and sending to from Calibre, no. That is not going to sync because it's not on the Amazon server. How can Amazon sync it if they don't have it in the Cloud? They can't.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:27 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I don't think they've ever synced side loaded books, unless it was a book I uploaded to the Amazon Cloud from Calibre, then downloaded to the device. Those documents should sync. But hooking up the Fire HD with USB and sending to from Calibre, no. That is not going to sync because it's not on the Amazon server. How can Amazon sync it if they don't have it in the Cloud? They can't.
Yes, this is my understanding, too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:35 PM   #18
Cinderela
Enthusiast
Cinderela began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I don't see why people care about syncing. As long as there is a working table of contents, I can always find my place in seconds. I don't rely on Amazon to sync anything, as I side load mine via Calibre. I don't think they've ever synced side loaded books, unless it was a book I uploaded to the Amazon Cloud from Calibre, then downloaded to the device. Those documents should sync. But hooking up the Fire HD with USB and sending to from Calibre, no. That is not going to sync because it's not on the Amazon server. How can Amazon sync it if they don't have it in the Cloud? They can't.
I've always loved syncing. Despite what I keep being told, my sideloaded books DO sync between my Kindles. I don't know how. I have over 2,000 books and 99% of them did NOT come from Amazon. I do not upload or send them to Amazon in any form. I put them into Calibre, convert them to .mobi, run the "fix asin" plug in and send them to my device. They sync with each other, no Amazon involvement. I realize it doesn't seem logical, yet it happens. I keep being told what is actually happening isn't possible. I can't explain how it works.

I guess I won't disrupt a good arrangement with my reading Kindles. I'll just use the new HD for web activities & games - the 1st gen doesn't have enough memory for everything.

I really appreciate your trouble & thank you for your answers.

Last edited by Cinderela; 03-31-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Cinderela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:40 PM   #19
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
You Have a Bonus that no one else can do LOL
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:55 PM   #20
Cinderela
Enthusiast
Cinderela began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
You Have a Bonus that no one else can do LOL
I know it sounds impossible! When I got the Fire, I knew I needed a book manager for all the files I had accumulated & Calibre was the highest rated, so I started using it. I didn't have any knowledge at all about e reader file management. I picked my way through via a lot of trial, error & web surfing.

Once I got the mobi format figured out, I sent the files to the Kindles and just expected them to sync. I felt quite accomplished when they did! I had no idea they weren't supposed to and *shouldn't* have synced! I didn't find that out until much later, when I had a different question...and was assured that syncing side loaded non Amazon files was impossible!

I wish I knew what I did to make it work! I'd love to share it. All I know is my mobi files were not ever associated in any way with Amazon, but somehow, they sync LPR on my KB 3G & 1st gen Fire.

Believe me, I wouldn't keep it a secret if I knew how it happens!
Cinderela is offline   Reply With Quote