Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #61
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Why? Tablets have the potential to be better than paper.
I did not say otherwise, and agree with you, unless you include e-ink.

Because it is something I could do and find mildly interesting to play with.

And because there is the potential that under some conditions, paper under glass may be indistinguishable from tablet by a reader, and that might be fun to point out to some people. They'd probably just dance right on around, though, blinders still firmly on.
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #62
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Lbooker - The attack-mode personal comments, using unkind, rude, derogatory, improper rhetorical language will stop now. You have an Official PM awaiting you.

All interested members, please carry on with your discussion.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-12-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #63
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbooker View Post
Only one article ? Do you seriously believe your effort is worth anything ? Nobody here has been capable of finding several articles, and then comparing and evaluating them. Typical of 99.99 % of people on internet forums. Serious intellectuals who write or have written a thesis know how to work.
kennyc sounded very happy about this lonely article and quoted the conclusion...typical of lazy, biased readers.
I can read, so I am going to demonstrate to all of you how it is done properly.
First, you have to examine who did and who funded this research. This research was partly funded by the marketing branch of the German book industry, so if you know anything about the corruption and position of weakness of the majority of scientists in relation to funding, you immediately understand you have to research the strategic goals of this industry. Like everywhere else, they are seeing diminishing sales of paper books and bet the future of their business on electronic versions of books. Better still, the introduction of this paper states the goal, which is to assuage the fears of the too conservative German readers who are moving too slowly away from paper books compared to their American counterparts, negatively influenced by articles published in the German press which dared attack screen technologies and their impact on child development. Another stated goal is specifically to contradict a large-scale survey of students and faculty at University College London in which students subjectively judged the ease of reading of e-books to be considerably worse than for conventional printed books.
The first scientific data they present is by far the most revealing : it shows that the reading comprehension error rate is the lowest for the text read on paper ! It is even clearer for the largest and sociologically most coherent group : the students. But here you can see that the devil is in the details : the graphic goes up to 100% even though there is no data above 35%, thus visually crushing the differences. Among students, if you look precisely, you reach a major conclusion: the error rate is between one third and one half higher for texts read on tablets and e-ink than for texts read on paper ! But the researchers under the monetary influence of the modernizing German book industry magically fail to state this. They dismiss this fundamental finding under a fallacious statistical pretext.
Then, after dismissing subjective preferences for paper, they pretend to scientifically fool you with loads of EGG research they do not objectively, scientifically know what to make of, filling their paper with lots of guesses. And why theta, but neither alpha nor beta waves ? Marshall McLuhan and Herbert Krugman knew what they would reveal when reading on a back-lit tablet.
In the end those pathetic researchers under influence claim that they showed something new about the eyes of old readers preferring high contrast, and do not hesitate to boldly incriminate readers based on their very subjectively chosen EGG waves and wild guesses : "This suggests that the overwhelming public opinion that digital reading media, though convenient, reduce the pleasure of reading is a cultural rather than a cognitive phenomenon."
Finally, let us note that this research was not published in a prestigious science journal at all. No wonder. I wonder if the marketing branch of the German book industry is displeased by that, or just cared about one thing : how much the popular press would cover this research : not at all in Germany, it seems. Too bad ! Only a few English language newspapers quoted that old people preferred high contrast. What a waste of money...and paper !
1. I see that it upsets you that I've linked to just one article, but you linked to zero articles.

2. In regards to funding:
a) The research was only partially funded by the marketing branch of the German book industry, and I'm not sure why you would assume that the other groups funding the research would agree to be linked to corrupt results.
b) The publishing industry would prefer people to stay with paper books because they have better control of distribution channels for paper books.

3.They didn't set out to contradict the large-scale survey of students and faculty at University College London, they set out to see how the the subjective impressions correlate with objective measurements.

4. You are complaining about the reading comprehension error rate graph. What you have ignored in your complaint is the error bar on the data. The differences between the results for the three mediums are within the standard mean deviation for the data, which is why they are interpreted as being the same. This is also why the graph scale is larger than the data sets.

5. It's not EGG, it's EEG (ElectroEncephaloGram).

6. "And why theta, but neither alpha nor beta waves?"
The alpha waves were used as reference for each participant.

7. I don't know how you define "prestigious science journal", but it has the respect of Nature:
Quote:
The open-access movement has spawned many successful, well-respected operations. PLOS ONE, for example, which charges a fee of US$1,350 for authors in middle- and high-income countries, has seen the number of articles it publishes leap from 138 in 2006 to 23,464 last year, making it the world's largest scientific journal.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #64
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacebookVirus View Post
Helen raises the right question. Opinions by nature are subjective. Even if you say you take into account *objective opinions,* deciding which ones to choose and which to discard is a subjective process.

Humans just don't do objectivity except in very limited and controlled circumstances. Even then it's wise to remain skeptical.

Reading from screens - particularly given the multiplication of different types of screens in recent years - is too new of an activity for it to be well understood yet.

We're all too used to the old ways to know how the young will adapt. They're seldom limited in the same ways we oldsters are.
I'll take as an example something that I used to hear when I first got interested in ereaders: ereaders don't smell like paper books (objective opinion) and paper books are better that ereaders because of their smell (subjective opinion).

When deciding to get an ereader I didn't discard the objective opinion, just the subjective one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derangedhermit View Post
I did not say otherwise, and agree with you, unless you include e-ink.

Because it is something I could do and find mildly interesting to play with.

And because there is the potential that under some conditions, paper under glass may be indistinguishable from tablet by a reader, and that might be fun to point out to some people. They'd probably just dance right on around, though, blinders still firmly on.
The way I see it, attempting to get the settings on a tablet to get as close as possible to reading on paper removes the advantages that tablets have over paper so comparing them like that isn't fair.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #65
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
The way I see it, attempting to get the settings on a tablet to get as close as possible to reading on paper removes the advantages that tablets have over paper so comparing them like that isn't fair.
OK, I promise not to.
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #66
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Disclaimer: The following is wholly anecdotal and completely unsourced.

I have multiple devices, and find that different ones serve me better depending on what I'm reading and why I'm reading it. I'd never argue that any one choice is universally better than the others, because it isn't for me, so why would it be for anyone else.

Paper and screens are going to coexist for a long time, and most of us are likely to use both, albeit to different degrees.

Personally, I'll be happy if I never read a mass-market paperback again; those things are a pain. Trades and hardcovers are fine, but mass-market is a chore to read. In the meantime, I'll switch between eink, LCD, and paper as the situation requires.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:25 AM   #67
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
1. I see that it upsets you that I've linked to just one article, but you linked to zero articles.
I established from the start that I have followed the progress of science in this field since the pioneers from the 1960's. You are proud to have read one article.

2. In regards to funding:
a) The research was only partially funded by the marketing branch of the German book industry, and I'm not sure why you would assume that the other groups funding the research would agree to be linked to corrupt results.
You are obviously totally ignorant of how a mere 10% of private funding is enough to routinely corrupt scientific research. The majority of science published today is corrupt, and the majority of papers published nowadays are later proven false when some honest scientists try to reproduce the results, as anyone who has been closely following science for the past decades perfectly knows. What have you done with your brain during the last decades ?

b) The publishing industry would prefer people to stay with paper books because they have better control of distribution channels for paper books.
This is a dream they have clearly renounced. Is your brain stuck in 2005 ? 2006 ? 2007 ? 2008 ?

3.They didn't set out to contradict the large-scale survey of students and faculty at University College London, they set out to see how the the subjective impressions correlate with objective measurements.
If you were knowledgeable enough to understand why the majority of science is corrupt by capitalism, your interpretation would differ. But you are so ignorant that it makes you very naive. You are the perfect target for this Public Relations operation by the marketing arm of the modernizing German book industry.

4. You are complaining about the reading comprehension error rate graph. What you have ignored in your complaint is the error bar on the data. The differences between the results for the three mediums are within the standard mean deviation for the data, which is why they are interpreted as being the same. This is also why the graph scale is larger than the data sets.
Your subjectivity/intellectual dishonesty shows in your last sentence : this visual presentation on a 100% scale is dishonest because it allows them to flatten the difference in error rates...and what a coincidence : they do not publish the raw data ! Just this poor graphic ! You subjectively, willingly fail to see that because these researchers have an agenda dictated by their funding, they obviously are going to interpret everything in a way to please their master. Then your "naive" brain set to defend those researchers under the influence of the MARKETING branch of the digital hungry German book industry fails to see something clear, which is that both groups show the same result : people understand a text much better when they read it on paper. What an unacceptable fact for the MARKETING branch of the digital hungry German book industry. A fact that could have been established perfectly by recruiting even more participants in the study to have more reliable and precise statistics...but then there would have been absolutely no way to dismiss this crucial finding. Then why conduct a research on a sample that small ? Because it allows freedom of interpretation ! Bingo !

5. It's not EGG, it's EEG (ElectroEncephaloGram).
You fail to see that in your next quote lies the proof that I know what an EEG is. You also obviously are totally ignorant of the research of Marshall McLuhan and Herbert Krugman, the pioneers in this field that I quoted from the start. Had you not been so intellectually lazy, you would have checked their research and found out that it all started with EEGs. You are so pretentious for someone that ignorant.

6. "And why theta, but neither alpha nor beta waves?"
The alpha waves were used as reference for each participant.
One more incredibly poor comment. If Marshall McLuhan and Herbert Krugman could read this converstation, they would ask the moderators of this forum to ban you until you read their research.

7. I don't know how you define "prestigious science journal", but it has the respect of Nature:
What I mean is that not only has this paper not been published in a major scientific publication, but neither has it been published in a specialized scientific publication that deals with a field of science this paper relates to. Not a single scientific monthly or quarterly dared publish this pathetic paper. Why don't you write serious scientific paper journals a letter explaining them why you think they missed a great opportunity of ridiculing themselves ?

Did you know that the tobacco industry had enrolled Nobel Prize winners to convince people that cigarettes would not kill them ? That is how deeply capitalism dares to corrupt science. Still, decades later, the Editor in Chief of the Journal of the American Medical Association had to publish this, because things had changed, much for the worse : http://www.medicossinmarca.cl/wp-con...al-science.pdf
Here is a quote directly related to our differing approach to the article you naively defend : "For-profit companies also can exert inappropriate influence in research via control of study data and statistical analysis, ghostwriting, managing all or most aspects of manuscript preparation, and dictating to investigators the journals to which they should submit their manuscripts. For example, I have been told that in response to JAMA's policy requiring an independent statistical analysis by an academician for industry-sponsored studies in which the only statistician who analyzed the data is employed by the study sponsor, some companies are insisting that the researchers not submit those studies to JAMA. That tactic risks not only the perception that the company may have something to hide, but the reputation of any researcher willing to accede to such a company demand. Since the announcement of our policy requiring an independent statistical analysis, only one company has refused to obtain this second analysis of the submitted manuscript, and that decision came only after full review and evaluation by JAMA. When we indicated that JAMA would not publish the paper without the required independent statistical analysis, the authors and sponsor withdrew the paper from JAMA; that paper was published elsewhere shortly thereafter and has received much media coverage. I can only hope that the decision by the sponsor was based on something other than not wanting an outside analysis of data that might have uncovered flaws in the original analysis."

Last edited by Lbooker; 11-13-2013 at 06:42 AM.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:29 AM   #68
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Disclaimer: The following is wholly anecdotal and completely unsourced.

I have multiple devices, and find that different ones serve me better depending on what I'm reading and why I'm reading it. I'd never argue that any one choice is universally better than the others, because it isn't for me, so why would it be for anyone else.

Paper and screens are going to coexist for a long time, and most of us are likely to use both, albeit to different degrees.

Personally, I'll be happy if I never read a mass-market paperback again; those things are a pain. Trades and hardcovers are fine, but mass-market is a chore to read. In the meantime, I'll switch between eink, LCD, and paper as the situation requires.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:54 AM   #69
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
I established from the start that I have followed the progress of science in this field since the pioneers from the 1960's.
You've asserted your expertise in this field, but that's a far cry from establishing it.

Quote:
You are proud to have read one article.
Logical error. The fact that one article has been referenced does not imply that only one article has been read.

If you feel it's valid to infer depth of reading and understanding of a subject from number of specific articles referenced, where does that leave the inference regarding your own level of reading?

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #70
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjb View Post
You've asserted your expertise in this field, but that's a far cry from establishing it.

Logical error. The fact that one article has been referenced does not imply that only one article has been read.

If you feel it's valid to infer depth of reading and understanding of a subject from number of specific articles referenced, where does that leave the inference regarding your own level of reading?

/JB
Your answer is very anal. Neurotic people commonly mistake their anal sadistic tendencies for intellectual precision and relevance.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #71
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Your answer is very anal. Neurotic people commonly mistake their anal sadistic tendencies for intellectual precision and relevance.
That's a first - I've never been called anal, neurotic and sadistic all at the same time before! (Separately, yes, but never all together).

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #72
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Lbooker is now suspended for violating our guidelines.
Let's move on, please.

Thank you for your consideration on this issue.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #73
Sil_liS
Wizard

The title of the article in the OP was changed from 'Why the Brain Prefers Paper' to 'The Reading Brain in the Digital Age: Why Paper Still Beats Screens'.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #74
janjanjan
Enthusiast
janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook ST Glow
I agree the comment regarding paging backward in a paper book being easier. I'm a fast reader, so sometimes I find that I want to return to a previous page. For some reason, with a paper book, I can easily find the section I want. With the Nook, it's much harder. I'm trying to get in the habit of bookmarking, especially maps or character lists. But, it isn't convenient for me.

That, however, is a minor irritant. On every other measurement of satisfaction, I strongly prefer e-readers. Interestingly enough, I don't actually care whether the device is e-ink or backlit. In fact, I enjoy the navigation on my Nexus 7 tablet much more than I enjoy the Nook navigation.

Last edited by janjanjan; 11-17-2013 at 08:40 PM.
janjanjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:46 PM   #75
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by janjanjan View Post
I agree the comment regarding paging backward in a paper book being easier. I'm a fast reader, so sometimes I find that I want to return to a previous page. For some reason, with a paper book, I can easily find the section I want. With the Nook, it's much harder. I'm trying to get in the habit of bookmarking, especially maps or character lists. But, it isn't convenient for me.
When I need to get back to a previous page, it is usually to find something, and I just search the text for it. Either with my eyes on a paper book, or with a search function on an ebook.

Tags
news