Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by magmanpi View Post
I'm so sorry if I offended you with my lack of computer knowledge. I thought this site was for people who enjoy e-books and like to share their knowledge. I asked my questions very politely and thanked the people who were kind enough to help me.

I thought this was a friendly site where no question was considered too dumb to ask. From your reaction, apparently I was mistaken.
You didn't do anything wrong. It's just me. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #17
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The trend seems to be "Isolate the user from the OS core".
And that's a good thing. If the user doesn't know what they're doing they should either let a professional do it or let a professional teach them how to do it. Do note that 'OS core' isn't the same as the command line. File associations shouldn't be part of the core IMO-but M$ doesn't seem to listen to my opinions very much. Wonder why that is?
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #18
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by magmanpi View Post
I thought this was a friendly site where no question was considered too dumb to ask. From your reaction, apparently I was mistaken.
Please don't confuse the site with the users. In general this is a friendly site-but sometimes the users aren't that friendly. (And from previous experience with JSW I think you probably just caught him on a grumpy day. Or maybe on a pet peeve. Whichever it was he really is usually friendly & helpful.)
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
And that's a good thing. If the user doesn't know what they're doing they should either let a professional do it or let a professional teach them how to do it. Do note that 'OS core' isn't the same as the command line. File associations shouldn't be part of the core IMO-but M$ doesn't seem to listen to my opinions very much. Wonder why that is?
One thing MS does so very wrong is they have file extensions for known file types turned off by default. It just is wrong. You give directions to someone and they get it wrong not because of poor directions or the person did it wrong but because what they see is not what really is. MS should have file extensions on by default. There shouldn't even be an option to turn them off.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One thing MS does so very wrong is they have file extensions for known file types turned off by default. It just is wrong. You give directions to someone and they get it wrong not because of poor directions or the person did it wrong but because what they see is not what really is. MS should have file extensions on by default. There shouldn't even be an option to turn them off.
I absolutely Agree.
Virus writer exploited this: FreeEBook.EPUB.EXE
The Exe is hidden by default, but the psychology say 'EPUB'. <click>

W7 (?not sure if Vista does this) at least treats the filename and extension as 2 separate entities, so you don't have to remember to always include the extension on rename, if you have the extension always visible.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I absolutely Agree.
Virus writer exploited this: FreeEBook.EPUB.EXE
The Exe is hidden by default, but the psychology say 'EPUB'. <click>

W7 (?not sure if Vista does this) at least treats the filename and extension as 2 separate entities, so you don't have to remember to always include the extension on rename, if you have the extension always visible.
W7 does this as well on a rename. But, it Windows should show the extension. Someone needs to be fired for this decision.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #22
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Quote:
I was very glad to discover that after upgrading my windows box to 7.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote