Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
Polyhive
Polyhive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyhive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyhive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyhive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyhive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyhive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyhive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyhive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyhive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyhive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyhive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Two versions of Calibre on the same comp?

I am running Calibre on our tower comp, and my wife is getting a Kindle for Christmas, so we would want to have two versions running, his and hers.

Is it possible or would we need to install in on a separate comp?

thanks in advance.

PH
Polyhive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You cannot have two versions of Calibre software installed at the same time. However you CAN have settings specific to each user, and if necessary multiple Calibre libraries

I am not sure why you even want two versions? You can use things like tags/custom columns to give logical separation within a single physical Calibre library. Calibre is not tied to any particular physical device.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyhive View Post
If you have Windows OS you can run two different installs of calibre. All you need to do is one of you run the normal install and one of you run calibre portable. Just don't place them both in the same directory and don't access the same library at the same time.

That said, I agree with itimpi, it is simple to place his and hers tags on books and use the saved search (right of the search bar) to create his and hers saved searches then use the Restrict to feature (left of the search bar) to essentially show a his or hers virtual library. This will prevent you from seeing the others books.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
Polyhive
Polyhive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyhive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyhive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyhive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyhive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyhive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyhive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyhive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyhive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyhive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyhive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why?

The answer to the why is simple we want to run two libraries.

Now how or where is there the information to set matters up as we are not familiar with the finer workings of the program.

What is a tag for instance and what difference would it make?

PH

Last edited by Polyhive; 12-08-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You do not have to have Calibre installed twice to have two libraries. Calibre allows for multiple libraries and the ability to switch between them. Calibre will also install user specific settings under each user's login so each user can default to using a different library.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:57 AM   #6
Polyhive

Ok so this is good news but where is the information to get it set up which is what I am asking please?

PH
Old 12-09-2012, 07:46 AM   #7
g8dhe
g8dhe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle + Nexus 7
Does the Manual not help see this page http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gui.html#library
Basically click the Libraries Icon and then Click Switch/Create ....
g8dhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:22 AM   #8
Polyhive

Got it thanks... sorted, all I need to now is power it up, move over the books on to the Kindle and wrap for Christmas.

Thanks all

PH
Old 12-10-2012, 07:12 AM   #9
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyhive View Post
I am running Calibre on our tower comp, and my wife is getting a Kindle for Christmas, so we would want to have two versions running, his and hers.

thanks in advance.

PH
I run two versions of Calibre successfully on one tower. One installation is the standard version of Calibre the other is Calibre Portable.

I only use one library with the standard install and only use the Portable install with a separate and different library.

This does not appear to cause any problems

I have this arrangement because the configuration needs of my two eReaders are very different.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 12:10 PM   #10
TWHanson1
Enthusiast
TWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: PC
Now there's a new reason to require 2 versions of Calibre. The latest version will not DeDRM. So I find myself constantly backdating to ver.4.23. It would be nice if I could have ver.4.23 and the latest version installed at the same time.
TWHanson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 12:22 PM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWHanson1 View Post
Now there's a new reason to require 2 versions of Calibre. The latest version will not DeDRM. So I find myself constantly backdating to ver.4.23. It would be nice if I could have ver.4.23 and the latest version installed at the same time.
It's been said multiple times in different threads. Install Calibre Portable 4.23 and the latest version of the regular Calibre.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 12:38 PM   #12
georgemk
Addict
georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Nia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWHanson1 View Post
All documented in this sticky thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=333459
georgemk is offline   Reply With Quote