Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 11-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #31
Schrollini
Schrollini began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by maptau_07 View Post
That did the job! getannotations.py showed the PDF and copied it successful to my PC fairly quickly, with the highlights I had made to the file. prsam-tk worked too, but a bit slower, but since it can run in the background, it's not really an issue.
Fantastic! There are some performance-related issues in prsam (and prsam-tk) that I know about but haven't tracked down. As you say, it can run in the background, so I'm not too motivated to spend a lot of time on this.

Quote:
Thanks a lot for fixing it! Anything else you'd like to try on the T2?
If you haven't already, could you try making handwritten annotations on the PDF and adding a highlight with a note. (Note that drawing notes aren't yet supported in PRSAnnots.) I hope that they will work the same on the T2 as they did on the T1, but I'd like to be sure.

I'll go ahead and make these changes. If the other annotations also work and you don't discover any more problems in the next few days, I'll put out a new release.
Schrollini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #32
maptau_07
maptau_07 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrollini View Post
If you haven't already, could you try making handwritten annotations on the PDF and adding a highlight with a note. (Note that drawing notes aren't yet supported in PRSAnnots.) I hope that they will work the same on the T2 as they did on the T1, but I'd like to be sure.
I just tested it on a new pdf: handwritten annotations are copied across without problem and also highlights with notes, although for one highlight the tool was unable to find the associated string of characters and placed the note in the top corner of the page.
I will use it more broadly across the next days and post an update on Thursday.
Cheers!
maptau_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #33
Schrollini

Quote:
I just tested it on a new pdf: handwritten annotations are copied across without problem and also highlights with notes, although for one highlight the tool was unable to find the associated string of characters and placed the note in the top corner of the page.
I will use it more broadly across the next days and post an update on Thursday.
Wonderful news! Thanks so much for helping with the testing.

The problem of finding highlighted text is known. There probably is a better way to do it, but it isn't documented and I haven't been successful in reverse engineering so far. Details are here.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #34
lampadatriste
lampadatriste began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-t1
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrollini View Post
Thanks for the kind words! Glad it's been useful for you.

I can't claim to be surprised that it doesn't work -- I don't have a microSD card, so I've never tried it. But there's a fair chance we can get it working, if you're willing to try a few things out. If you're game, here's a few questions to start with:

1) What operating system are you using? Do you use the command line programs (prsam / getannotations) or the graphical program (prsam-tk)? (I'm interested just so that I can speak the right language.)
I'm on a Mac OS 10.7. I tried and was successful with prsam and prsam-tk before, but only on the main reader drive.

Quote:
2) Have you used the getannotations program? If so, does it list PDFs on the microSD card? If so, what happens when you select one of them?
I followed your advice and this did the trick. getannotations is pure genius. Thank you again! It works perfectly with the MICROSD card and the reader drive.

I think the reason it didn't work before is because I messed up the code. I have near zero experience with programming or terminal, and messed up the path. I googled the right path for external drives in Mac OSX and it was done.

Quote:
3) Can you browse the contents of the microSD card when it's in the Reader and the Reader is plugged in to your computer? If so, does the card show up as a subdirectory of the Reader, or does it show up as a separate drive?
I can browse the contents and it shows as a separate drive.

Sorry it took me so long to answer. I won't try prsam or prsam-tk any further, getannotations does it for me.
Cheers
lampadatriste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #35
Schrollini

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampadatriste View Post
I'm on a Mac OS 10.7. I tried and was successful with prsam and prsam-tk before, but only on the main reader drive.
From what I'm learning about how the microSD card works, I think that's to be expected. I'll have to think about whether I can fix it or not.
Quote:
I followed your advice and this did the trick. getannotations is pure genius. Thank you again! It works perfectly with the MICROSD card and the reader drive.
Great! Just to make sure I understand what you did, you ran getannotations /path/to/microsd/card instead of getannotations /path/to/reader?

Quote:
Sorry it took me so long to answer. I won't try prsam or prsam-tk any further, getannotations does it for me.
No worries. I suspect that, if you want to use only the microSD card, you could run prsam init /path/to/microsd/card and have your library live on the card instead of the reader's main memory. But there's no way currently to have a library spanning both, and given how I designed PRSAnnots, it's probably not ever going to happen. You could try have separate libraries on both the reader and the microSD card, but you'd have to use the --mount option each time you call prsam to tell it which to use. (And prsam-tk doesn't have a mount option, so it would only be able to access one of the two.)

So it's good that getannotations works!
Old 11-16-2012, 10:55 PM   #36
Schrollini

Version 0.2.1

I'm pleased to announce version 0.2.1 of PRSAnnots, the PDF annotations manager for the Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-T2.

That bold bit says all you really need to know about this new release: the PRS-T2 is now supported, thanks to the help of maptau_07. I also snuck a few bug fixes in, but hopefully you won't notice them.

Unless you want to use PRSAnnots with your new PRS-T2, there's no pressing need to upgrade. But there's also no reason not to. You can pull the new version from Github or download the tarball or Windows installer.

Enjoy, and do let me know if you run into problems.

By the way, does anyone know if it's possible to update the thread title to reflect the new PRS-T2 support?
Old 11-17-2012, 04:27 AM   #37
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Use the "Report Post" button right beside "karma" to notify a moderator and ask for.
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #38
Schrollini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nord View Post
Use the "Report Post" button right beside "karma" to notify a moderator and ask for.
Thanks!

Tags
annotation, pdf, sync