Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #406
RoninTech
Groupie
RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Nook Colour, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Nexus 7, Nexus 5, Pixel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
But, if you get rid of the horrible space wasting bar (also when it's clear) so you have more lines of text on the screen, how would you propose it work if you select text for annotations or looking up in the dictionary? The menu has to come up when you select text to give you options of what to do with the text... fine. But what if you want to select text on the lower two-three lines? They will be hidden by the menu bar that will come up... Any smart insights or suggestions?
Easy. Put whatever was in the bottom menu in the select text floating window that already handles appearing where you didn't select.
RoninTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #407
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninTech View Post
Easy. Put whatever was in the bottom menu in the select text floating window that already handles appearing where you didn't select.
Nice idea! Doesn't quite work though, what if you need something else from that menu that is unrelated to selecting text? For instance, if you want to enlarge the font size? Would be a hassle to have to select some text first to get the menu up.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #408
RoninTech
Groupie
RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Nice idea! Doesn't quite work though, what if you need something else from that menu that is unrelated to selecting text? For instance, if you want to enlarge the font size? Would be a hassle to have to select some text first to get the menu up.
Sure it would. You wouldn't change the existing technique of a centre screen tap that would bring up exactly what it does now for enlarging font size etc. The deal is to just not waste the bottom space while reading unless you want to do something that needs the options to pop up via a centre tap.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #409
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sure it would. You wouldn't change the existing technique of a centre screen tap that would bring up exactly what it does now for enlarging font size etc. The deal is to just not waste the bottom space while reading unless you want to do something that needs the options to pop up via a centre tap.
Ah right like that. So it stays the way it is, only when you select text the menu doesn't come up (but a different menu comes up elsewhere). Nice!

Yes please, I want that too.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #410
RoninTech
Groupie

The curse of a firmware developer is that things can often be fixed with a FW change. I'd love to see the kobo design requirements that they used to come up with the existing screen usage. If I was one of the systems engineers responsible for OI reqyirement specifications I'd have been sure to include one like "shall allow user to make full use of screen real estate" as that is surely a major aspect of ereaders.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #411
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
The curse of a firmware developer is that things can often be fixed with a FW change. I'd love to see the kobo design requirements that they used to come up with the existing screen usage. If I was one of the systems engineers responsible for OI reqyirement specifications I'd have been sure to include one like "shall allow user to make full use of screen real estate" as that is surely a major aspect of ereaders.
Good point.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #412
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
OTOH, the widows and orphans thing would have to be fixed then, which may explain a lot about why the bar is there... call me a realist.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #413
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
OTOH, the widows and orphans thing would have to be fixed then, which may explain a lot about why the bar is there... call me a realist.
No, it just means the size of the area being written to changes. If they get the sizing write, it won't mean any other changes.

As to widows and orphans, from what I can see they work correctly. I have played with the settings a bit and any time there is a gap at the bottom, I can count lines in the paragraphs and it agrees with the widows and orphans settings. If there is a problem, it is in exactly how much space the algorithm thinks is needed. It is a little pessimistic about the space left on the screen and the space needed for the paragraph and pushes text to the next screen a little early. But, it looks like it is out by no more than the height of a line.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:34 AM   #414
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As to widows and orphans, from what I can see they work correctly. I have played with the settings a bit and any time there is a gap at the bottom, I can count lines in the paragraphs and it agrees with the widows and orphans settings. If there is a problem, it is in exactly how much space the algorithm thinks is needed. It is a little pessimistic about the space left on the screen and the space needed for the paragraph and pushes text to the next screen a little early. But, it looks like it is out by no more than the height of a line.
I'm not so sure. What setting do you use? My widows and orphans are set to 0. I hardly ever have text going right to the bottom, even allowing for an extra line above "the" bar. There's regularly about 2 cm (!) of unused space measured from the top of the menu bar.

I must admit though I went to get a picture to show you, but my Glo battery has just died on me. So I loaded the same book on the Touch, and I can't find a single page with this behaviour. All pages are nicely filled to "1.5 lines above the page number" (ie. filled to the line of the menu bar when that is open).

Both my Touch and Glo are on firmware 2.3.2.

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 01-17-2013 at 03:38 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #415
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I'm not so sure. What setting do you use? My widows and orphans are set to 0. I hardly ever have text going right to the bottom, even allowing for an extra line above "the" bar. There's regularly about 2 cm (!) of unused space measured from the top of the menu bar.
I generally set the widows and orphans to zero. The only times I see this is when the long paragraph bug hits.
Quote:
I must admit though I went to get a picture to show you, but my Glo battery has just died on me. So I loaded the same book on the Touch, and I can't find a single page with this behaviour. All pages are nicely filled to "1.5 lines above the page number" (ie. filled to the line of the menu bar when that is open).
It always works when the repairman is watching
Quote:
Both my Touch and Glo are on firmware 2.3.2.
Same here.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #416
Intelligencer
Intelligencer is a splendid one to beholdIntelligencer is a splendid one to beholdIntelligencer is a splendid one to beholdIntelligencer is a splendid one to beholdIntelligencer is a splendid one to beholdIntelligencer is a splendid one to beholdIntelligencer is a splendid one to beholdIntelligencer is a splendid one to beholdIntelligencer is a splendid one to beholdIntelligencer is a splendid one to beholdIntelligencer is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo, Sony, Kindle, iPad
Please please please....

1. A GOTO PAGE feature.

2. Easy way to tap chapter forward or backward. Ie upward and downward swipes for example.

3. Option to display pages remaining in chapter in status line at bottom of page.

Thanks.
Intelligencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #417
Intelligencer
Intelligencer is a splendid one to beholdIntelligencer is a splendid one to beholdIntelligencer is a splendid one to beholdIntelligencer is a splendid one to beholdIntelligencer is a splendid one to beholdIntelligencer is a splendid one to beholdIntelligencer is a splendid one to beholdIntelligencer is a splendid one to beholdIntelligencer is a splendid one to beholdIntelligencer is a splendid one to beholdIntelligencer is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo, Sony, Kindle, iPad
The page slide feature in the book navigation is a waste of time when you have large books.

I have a 3542 page ePub and it is useless. Try navigating to a page and it lags and leaves you on a page +/- 200 pages from where you left it. A lottery.
Intelligencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #418
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intelligencer View Post
Please please please....

1. A GOTO PAGE feature.

2. Easy way to tap chapter forward or backward. Ie upward and downward swipes for example.

3. Option to display pages remaining in chapter in status line at bottom of page.

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intelligencer View Post
The page slide feature in the book navigation is a waste of time when you have large books.

I have a 3542 page ePub and it is useless. Try navigating to a page and it lags and leaves you on a page +/- 200 pages from where you left it. A lottery.
+1
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #419
luke_70it
luke_70it is a splendid one to beholdluke_70it is a splendid one to beholdluke_70it is a splendid one to beholdluke_70it is a splendid one to beholdluke_70it is a splendid one to beholdluke_70it is a splendid one to beholdluke_70it is a splendid one to beholdluke_70it is a splendid one to beholdluke_70it is a splendid one to beholdluke_70it is a splendid one to beholdluke_70it is a splendid one to behold

Device: kobo glo
Here are my requests:

- ability to input Adobe Digital Editions username & password and download acsm files directly to the reader using the browser

- ability to copy or move ebooks from sd to internal memory and vice versa.

- opds client

Ciao!
Luca
luke_70it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:24 AM   #420
Polochon_street
Polochon_street began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
I know it is not supported officially, but is there any way to improve the display of text in the web navigator? When it first loads a page (wikipedia, for instance), the text is strong black, as usual, but when I scroll down, and the screen refreshes, the text becomes grey, and a bit difficult to read... As soon as I open a menu, and close it, the portion of text which has been replaced with the menu is black again...
Thanks by advance if you succeed in solving this issue!
(And a Conway's game of life! We need a Conway's game of life in the extras menu!)
Polochon_street is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo