Notices

Old 06-19-2015, 02:13 AM   #1
mendesitba
Connoisseur
mendesitba began at the beginning.

Device: KPW, Ipad 2, Note 5
Question Suggestions of sideloaded fonts for Kindle Paperwhite

Hello!

A simple, and perhaps stupid (sorry), question about which sideload font would you recommend for reading in Kindle Paperwhite?

Last edited by mendesitba; 06-19-2015 at 02:33 AM.
mendesitba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:36 AM   #2
loco
Connoisseur
loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: PW2
as per my preference, palatino is the best
loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2015, 02:58 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What's wrong with the built-in ones?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:53 AM   #4
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendesitba View Post
Hello!

A simple, and perhaps stupid (sorry), question about which sideload font would you recommend for reading in Kindle Paperwhite?
Get Bitter - http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/bitter
It's a free slab serif font, designed specifically for e-ink. It's pretty similar to caecilia, but less wider, which I think was a good move.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:09 AM   #5
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What's wrong with the built-in ones?
I agree what is wrong with the built-in fonts. I have old eyes that stress easily and have no problems with the PW2 fonts.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2015, 11:41 AM   #6
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
IMO it's the ratio of readability vs style/look. I'm willing to sacrifice little readability for overall more print-book-like feel. Caecilia is too square-ish for my taste.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:50 AM   #7
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
For me I am all for readability, and also that the spelling is correct. Since I retired I have read more books just for fun in the last year than the previous 20 years. And the biggest issue I see is with miss types and miss spells.
Also before I retired I only had time to read Tech Material and books, they were so boring.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:09 PM   #8
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I agree what is wrong with the built-in fonts. I have old eyes that stress easily and have no problems with the PW2 fonts.
Don't you guys ever get bored with every book looking the same?

Also I find that different fonts can enhance or detract from the mood of certain books. Can you imagine reading a horror novel in comic sans? Or a Dickens novel in a sans-serif or very modern font? That's what I mean.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:33 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
Nope. I read all my books in whatever the default font is that the Kindle uses. I couldn't even tell you which one it is!

EDIT: "Caecilia", apparently .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 01:38 PM   #10
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I'm with Harry.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:00 AM   #11
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendesitba View Post
Hello!

It's not a recommendation, but I use Amasis, condensed slightly and with some weight added.

The old pw has about same ppi as newspaper print, so a newspaper font works well. Low contrast and thicker serifs.

Find a font that you like and get font forge to tweak it to suit.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:25 AM   #12
mendesitba
Connoisseur
mendesitba began at the beginning.

Device: KPW, Ipad 2, Note 5
Hello!

I discovered that my kindle firmware version does not allow me to sideload new fonts.

Buuuut, it seems there is a way of altering the font of the book when you create a book with Calibre. I will try it and use your suggestions!

mendesitba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:18 PM   #13
snoeki
Connoisseur
snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2 & Kobo glo hd
I use the bookerly font, found somewhere here a link to the font a few weeks ago. I am fine with the fonts inside the kindle, but I wanted something new and bookerly is nice. I build the fonts inside the azw3 files using Calibre.
snoeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 06:57 PM   #14
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
If I use a new font I'm only aware of it for a few minutes. After that I've completely forgotten about it.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:53 PM   #15
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post

Also I find that different fonts can enhance or detract from the mood of certain books. Can you imagine reading a horror novel in comic sans? Or a Dickens novel in a sans-serif or very modern font? That's what I mean.
I hear you man. I thought everybody felt the same but apparently not. One of my favourite things to do is find and embed the most appropriate font for whatever book I'm reading lol. The little things and all that

On that note I thoroughly recommend Rockwell, Bookerly, Constantia, linux libertine, linux biolinium, book antiqua, droid serif, georgia, Bitter, Charis SIL, Euphemia, Felbridge, Miller text, minion pro, as these are my favourites. They should keep you busy

Last edited by cerem0ny; 07-19-2015 at 02:17 AM.
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote