Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-01-2007, 04:39 PM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Reading in darkness

Obviously e-ink is great and all that, but when it's dark, we're in trouble.

Has anyone already bought a mobile reading light that would fit with the Kindle and give an OK light at night?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 07:48 PM   #2
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Obviously e-ink is great and all that, but when it's dark, we're in trouble.

Has anyone already bought a mobile reading light that would fit with the Kindle and give an OK light at night?
I got the MightyBright XtraFlex2. Clips on the case of the Kindle, very easy to read with and my girlfriend stopped growling at me when I read at night. Yay! Fast shipping. Takes 3 AAA batteries or works with an AC adapter. I was lucky, my phone charger (which is by my bed) works with it, so I usually have it plugged in there.

It's the same one that Amazon was offering, but I bought it from mightybright.com because Amazon was sold out. It's the first booklight I have ever used and I'm very pleased with it. There are threads discussing it somewhere....
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2007, 09:40 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See But what about the Kindle's Reading Light?. So far, no one has reported finding a light that clips to the Kindle itself (rather than the case).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:16 PM   #4
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
FWIW, I read paper books all the time with a little headlamp I use for camping. I think it cost about 25$, which is probably more than the clip-on lights you're talking about, but I had it handy so...

Plus it's helpful for finding my way to the bathroom at night without stubbing my toes.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:02 AM   #5
strevena
strevena began at the beginning.

Low Cost Energizer LED Reading Light

I very rarely have a need to read away from a light source with my Kindle. However, it does happen from time to time. While camping I always use an LED headlamp for reading. I found a very inexpensive (about $5) solution that is not bulky at all in the Energizer Trim Flex LED. I found this at Target today back with the flashlights. Here's a webpage with all the specifics of this light:

http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/entrfl.htm

Because it uses the button batteries, and has no AC adapter, this is a light use device. If you need something for every night look for one with a plug.
strevena is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2008, 01:34 AM   #6
drgnbear
Evil alien overlord.
drgnbear began at the beginning.

Buy this light http://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Bright-...9601241&sr=8-6 the full spectrum natural lighting makes a HUGE difference. I can;t stand the blue cast of LED lights.
drgnbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:39 PM   #7
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
You can also go the the mightybright.com website and order it directly and there are plenty of others to choose from there too.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:14 PM   #8
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I was at my local Costco today and they had book lights but they weren't with the books but in the hardware section.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:20 PM   #9
rationalbiker
Connoisseur
rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Let me suggest something less traditional in terms of "book lights". For $9.95 you can get an I-Sight EarLight which I found very functional for reading (among other things).

http://www.botachtactical.com/earlight.html

I have used this with reading glasses as well and it works fine for me.
rationalbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:16 PM   #10
Drevil123
Drevil123 began at the beginning.

Nothing beats those nifty LED lights on Mighty Bright. Best product to read in the dark with.
Drevil123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:43 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I also purchased a MightyBright light that clips onto my Kindle cover. I like the 3 bulbs for wider coverage. Nice white light which I have used in a totally dark room. Very adjustable. I purchased one without the AC cord from Boarders for about $15. It uses 3 AAA batteries.

http://www.mightybright.com/Book_Lig...uctDetail.html

Last edited by daffy4u; 05-20-2008 at 08:43 PM. Reason: added link to the light
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:55 PM   #12
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Thank you for the pic and the link. It's also available on Amazon, for a few bucks less:
here-really-long-link
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:13 AM   #13
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
if you do not mind a visor or baseball cap then these lights are PERFECT options:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_hg...=cap+led+light

I actually have several I use for things like working in the car, under the house or wherever I need my hands free to work on something. I know they have all manner of light spectrums to be had so one has to fit an individual needs. They too are dead cheap and last FOREVER.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:31 AM   #14
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
I use an old head torch that is way superseded for what I do outside. It's 3AA's, 3 LED's and a great reading light - not too bright, runs for a long time (over a week continuously if you forget to turn it off). Those are cheap now, even the $2 ones should be ok.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:36 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Another thread on a reading light... ACK! Please see the URL below for a well established thread on reading lights complete with some pictures as well...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9362
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote