Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-27-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
MDK
Kobo Developer
MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura, Glo, Mini
Kobo Touch Firmware 1.9.8

Kobo Touch Firmware 1.9.8 has been released. This release includes all features in 1.9.7 and a couple of extras!

• Sleep and power off screens now show full screen book covers!
• File type labels now distinguish Kobo EPUBs from other EPUBs.
• Prevent screen artifacts from appearing.
• Fixes font size issue on some side loaded content seen on 1.9.7.
• Various performance and stability improvements.

Last edited by MDK; 07-27-2011 at 02:04 PM.
MDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
wes101
Zealot
wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo touch
damn that was quick, updating now, got it now

Last edited by wes101; 07-27-2011 at 02:25 PM.
wes101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
For those who manually update:
http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...rade-1.9.8.zip

*Note* vast majority of folk using the Kobo Desktop software should not bother using that link.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:15 PM   #4
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Excellent. Now the hunt for bugs begins. At least this time there isn't one staring us in the face the first time we load up a book.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:35 PM   #5
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Installed ok, gonna try it now..
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2011, 02:46 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It seems to me that I am doing less double pressing with this update and that things are loading faster. I used to have to wait for what seemed like a very long time when I tried to open awards; now it is pretty much instantaneous. Putting books on my short list usually took two tries. Not any more.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:54 PM   #7
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I agree, previously every 20th or so press it might not detect and I'd have to double tap.
Sometimes it would "Catch up" on the second press and turn two pags.
It hasn't done that yet. I tested it by tap thorugh about 100 pages.
Good news.

I agree the books do seem to load a litle faster as well.

Another interesting thing is pre-1.9.8 my saved wifi connections wouldn;t work properly.
Most of the time it just wouldn't connect on them and I had to redetect and save every time. Now it seems to be working ok.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #8
ldrover
Connoisseur
ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad Mini
SD card problem still exists

Unfortunately, the SD card problem still exists. Only the books stored on my SD card appear on the homepage.
ldrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:52 PM   #9
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldrover View Post
Unfortunately, the SD card problem still exists. Only the books stored on my SD card appear on the homepage.
Yes, that is very annoying especially since you can see the correct home page just before it's replaced with the SD card view. Hopefully, this is on the Kobo developer's list of items to be delivered in the next firmware release. Meanwhile, I am using the shortlist to keep track of the books I am reading.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Very impressed with Kobo development!

P.S. Can you Kobo guys tell me how to get my Kobo account re-activated? I de-activated before returning my Touch to make sure no one could use it to purchase books with my account. I probably could/should have simply done a hard reset, which I did do, but I was being overly cautious. I would love to use the Kobo for Android app on my Motorola Atrix 4G but I cannot get Kobo to re-activate my account because I cannot figure out how to contact them other than opening a support ticket, which I did several days ago. I also plan to buy another Touch as soon as Best Buy stocks them in my local store.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:23 PM   #11
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
You can also phone Kobo Customer Support.

Kobo Help Line, United States and Canada:
1-866-204-4714
(8am - 12am EST)
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #12
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
It seems to me that I am doing less double pressing with this update and that things are loading faster. I used to have to wait for what seemed like a very long time when I tried to open awards; now it is pretty much instantaneous. Putting books on my short list usually took two tries. Not any more.
I already noticed that in 1.9.7, probably part of their perf. improvements and bug fixes...

Installing 1.9.8 right now, did OTA again...
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:44 PM   #13
corewin
corewin began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
dictionary

hey guys i think i may have found a bug. every time i look up a word in the dictionary it seems to show the code along with it. i tried it in my own converted epub, and with a kepub that came with the kobo out of the box.

software version 1.9.8 (r30710, Jul 27 2011)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110727_133311.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	831.0 KB
ID:	74868

Last edited by corewin; 07-27-2011 at 04:45 PM. Reason: which software i have
corewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #14
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by corewin View Post
hey guys i think i may have found a bug. every time i look up a word in the dictionary it seems to show the code along with it. i tried it in my own converted epub, and with a kepub that came with the kobo out of the box.

software version 1.9.8 (r30710, Jul 27 2011)
Can't replicate it. Looked up a generic word in a sideloaded DRM free epub, and then manually searched antithesis both entries came up correctly formatted.

Does it happen all of the time for you? and for ALL words? If so maybe the dictionary db file got corrupted?
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:50 PM   #15
corewin
corewin began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterjohn42 View Post
Can't replicate it. Looked up a generic word in a sideloaded DRM free epub, and then manually searched antithesis both entries came up correctly formatted.

Does it happen all of the time for you? and for ALL words? If so maybe the dictionary db file got corrupted?
hmm, ill have to check when i get home i suppose. good to know its just my end, and not all who updated. thank you
corewin is offline   Reply With Quote