Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-15-2011, 03:51 PM   #46
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
That was a map of the United States, NOT North America! There are no B&N stores in Canada. No Amazon stores either. There is an Amazon.ca website but having a site with Canadian prices doesn't make it Canadian!

The Kobo is a good functional epub ereader. I prefer my prs-650 the the wifi Kobo is $80 cheaper.

cheers
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:54 PM   #47
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Careful! it appears that Borders is about to go under.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 04:40 PM   #48
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumbles View Post
Careful! it appears that Borders is about to go under.
Sorry about that. I just edited my earlier post to reflect that.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:04 PM   #49
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
That's terrible! I just did a quick check and project Gutenberg only has 15 e-books in Norwegian, I'm really surprised at that.
Projekt Runeberg has a few more, but yeah, the state of Nordic-language e-books seems to be either ridiculously expensive when available or 19th century leftovers (and the occasional Smashwords self-pub).

Though I suspect the paucity of the Gutenberg offerings is due to a lack of proofreaders for the language, given that apparently a lot of eligible public domain books exist in the national library and seem to be online as scans*, but few people are in a position to transcribe them into usable texts.

* My own grasp of the language is pretty shaky, so I may have misread that part.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:49 PM   #50
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
As I understand it, the Kindle can read Epubs. You will need to install customized firmware called Duokan.

I read about it here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=121204
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 11:14 PM   #51
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
I have close family members with both Kindle 3s and the Sony PRS-650, and after seeing both products close up, I picked the PRS-650.

The Kindle does have a few features that the Sony lacks like Text to Speech, but I wasn't impressed enough with them to be willing to live with the Kindles clunky interface.

The touch interface on the Sony is a joy to use, and at least the features that the PRS-650 does have do work well. For example the Sony's built in MP3 player is quite nice, with cover art display, repeat, and shuffle, etc. The Kindle's built in MP3 player is one of the most useless pieces of garbage I have ever seen (Alt-F to jump forward one track, are they kidding???)

I get most of my books free from my public library, and Kindle can't do that without the hassle of striping the DRM and then converting the books from MOBI to EPUB. Call me old fashioned, but I think that in the case of library books with DRM, if they are nice enough to make the books available at no charge, then you should probably play by their rules.

I would not feel that way about stripping the DRM from a book purchased from Amazon if it got in the way of my converting a book that I had purchased from them for use on my Sony PRS-650, because if I pay perfectly good money for a title, then I should be able to read the book on whatever hardware I chose.

Luckily, the temptation of having to strip the DRM from an Amazon book, because it is ONLY available from them, has NOT come up yet, because I have yet to find a book that I couldn't find somewhere else. Actually, given the fact that I can get books from Sony, Kobo, Google, etc, and that Amazon choses to play these proprietary games and not support EPUB, then I WOULD PREFER NOT TO BUY FROM THEM.

When I do go shopping for e-books online I prefer to just use my Netbook as opposed to trying to shop from the device, so the Kindles built in link to the Kindle Store would not be a big plus for me. Certainly not enough to be worth the hassle of being locked into only one source for books.

Last edited by delphin; 02-15-2011 at 11:22 PM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:24 PM   #52
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If you are comfortable with stripping books that you might one day buy from Amazon then I am assuming you would be comfortable stripping the DRM from another store. This means that you know that you are not locked in to one store because removing DRM and converting books is easy.

Never mind the list of stores that you can buy Mobi books for the Kindle from.

Personally, I love shopping from my Kindle when I am in an airport and want to buy a book. I like shopping from a bus when I want to buy a book. I like the freedom that comes from carrying a bookstore with me where ever I go. It means that I am not tied to a computer to buy a book or download a book.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:17 AM   #53
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
. . . I like the freedom that comes from carrying a bookstore with me where ever I go. It means that I am not tied to a computer to buy a book or download a book.
Ok, you like carrying around a book store, that's fine. I like borrowing books electronically from my local library and having those books available on my Sony.

I don't do any serious travel without my Netbook, so I could use it's WiFi to either purchase a book while traveling, or check one out via the web from my local library.

Usually however, this is simply not necessary, because I always have at least six (and usually more than a dozen) unread titles queued up and ready on my Sony.

Also, I was not recommending to anyone that they assume that the DRM restrictions placed on their e-books and reader device can be easily circumvented, and ignore these restrictions when making their buying decision.

Stripping DRM, even from material you own, may or may not be legal depending on where you live, and with changes in technology may not always be easy to accomplish.

If you own a Kindle, it may be currently possible to strip the DRM from ADE library books, so they can be converted and read on the Kindle, but Adobe has updated their encryption many times in the past, so I wouldn't count on this option always being available.

So on the contrary, I would recommend that you assume that you will have to play by the rules, when deciding on your reader, because that may become your ONLY option.

"Playing by the rules" has allowed me to read more than 60 e-books checked out from my local library [titles that would have cost me more than $500 dollars to read from Amazon]

Currently it may be possible for me to un-swindle Kindle content, so I could convert Kindle books to EPUB and read them on the Sony, but as I stated, so far at least I haven't found any need to do so.
If tomorrow that option disappeared, due to some new advance in DRM technology, then I wouldn't be too upset.

As I said, I would prefer not to buy books from Amazon at all, unless they clean up their act and support EPUB.

Having access to Amazon on my book reader would be just peachy, if Amazon didn't work so hard to make sure that this was my ONLY option like they do on the Kindle.

Last edited by delphin; 02-16-2011 at 04:27 AM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:50 AM   #54
ignis
ignis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is VAT only 8% in Norway? I was under the impression that EU law required the full rate of VAT to be charged on eBooks? (eg we pay 20% VAT on eBooks here in the UK)
Norway isn't in EU.

As for me, I don't think I've read a Norwegian book since high school, so my only concern is availability of English-language books. Which, while sometimes problematic for reasons I've outlined before, isn't a big problem.

I went ahead an ordered myself a Kindle. I suspect it will take some time and effort to strip the DRM from my Fictionwise-purchased .pdb ebooks and convert them to .mobi, but I'm up for it.
ignis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:17 AM   #55
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignis View Post
Norway isn't in EU.
My apologies. I always get confused about which of the Nordic countries are in the EU and which aren't.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #56
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphin View Post
Ok, you like carrying around a book store, that's fine. I like borrowing books electronically from my local library and having those books available on my Sony.

As I said, I would prefer not to buy books from Amazon at all, unless they clean up their act and support EPUB.

Having access to Amazon on my book reader would be just peachy, if Amazon didn't work so hard to make sure that this was my ONLY option like they do on the Kindle.
I can say the same thing about Sony, BN, and Kobo. They work really hard to make sure I cannot read their books on my Kindle. Each of the companies made choices regarding format that suited their business needs. It gets old listen to people complain about Amazon when all of the comapnies with bookstores did the same thing.

The bitching that Amazon is not willing to sell EPub while ignoring that Sony, BN, and Kobo do not sell Mobi is almost amusing but really more annoying. Amazon is held to a different standard then the other bookstores. It is an old, boring, tired argument.

It is an argument that is made all that much more tired when you flat out say that you can and will remove DRM if you come across a situation where it is warrented. The decision to remove DRM and convert is one that each person has to make based on their understanding of the law in their country, their ethical barometer, and their level of technical skill.

I am glad that you enjoy using the library. I know folks with Kindles who use the library as well. It is a matter of making decisions that the individual is comfortable with. They have saved themselves a ton of money borrowing library books.

It is not a black and white world.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:02 PM   #57
ignis
ignis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
My apologies. I always get confused about which of the Nordic countries are in the EU and which aren't.
We're constantly pestered by EU to join, they probably want our oil money We've had two referendums on that subject and voted NO to joning EU both times. But tbh I wish we were in the EU. Because not being part of EU means we have to pay 33% tax on all packages valued over 200NOK (~$35), whereas EU member states don't.
ignis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:10 PM   #58
m3write1day
m3write1day can self-interpret dreams as they happen.m3write1day can self-interpret dreams as they happen.m3write1day can self-interpret dreams as they happen.m3write1day can self-interpret dreams as they happen.m3write1day can self-interpret dreams as they happen.m3write1day can self-interpret dreams as they happen.m3write1day can self-interpret dreams as they happen.m3write1day can self-interpret dreams as they happen.m3write1day can self-interpret dreams as they happen.m3write1day can self-interpret dreams as they happen.m3write1day can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Nook
Nook has the best of both worlds. They have a huge selection from B&N of course, plus they have the free ones from the library.
m3write1day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:13 PM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3write1day View Post
Nook has the best of both worlds. They have a huge selection from B&N of course, plus they have the free ones from the library.
But only if you happen to be among the tiny minority of people who live in the US .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:05 PM   #60
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
But only if you happen to be among the tiny minority of people who live in the US .
Exactly. Even in Canada the Kindle is a better bet for ease of use. And I have no problems at all using Library books here. Alf may have been an apprentice, but certainly an accomplished one.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, prs-650, sony reader