Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-02-2007, 10:02 AM   #1
taz0k
ebook reader virgin
taz0k began at the beginning.

Frozen, unbricking reset won't even work

I was reading some yesterday with my "newly" bought and fully charged reader (3 weeks old and re-charged 2 days ago), when suddenly the screen froze, i.e. I couldn't turn page.

I then tried to shutdown the reader, but I didn't have ANY effect at all, the screen was still the same, it was not possible to shut down the device.

So I did a soft reset and I get to the "starting up" screen, but it got stuck on it.

After this point, nothing has any effect on the reader at all. I can't shut it down (the starting up screen is always shown no matter what).

I try soft resets with and without power cord. I try hard resets and unbricking resets with and without the power cord. Still no effect at all. Also I have no cards inserted. And nothing happends if I insert the USB cable.

The only sign of "life" is the power LED blinking orange after pressing the power on/off button, which stops after pressing reset. And also the the red light as the reader charges.

I've not been messing with software, and I have the latest firmware.

For those of you who have managed doing a unbricking reset, how crucial is the timing, and number of times you do the reset/power-switch cycle? In the best of world it is only me not having the right "skill" to do the unbricking reset right?

Any ideas/tips?

*sighs* My reader would have been a great companion, IF it worked.

Last edited by taz0k; 06-02-2007 at 10:19 AM.
taz0k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:46 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The orange blinking light means that the Reader is out of power. Try recharging it. My wifes reader when it had the blinking orange light meant it was out of power. I just plugged it into the charger and then turned it on and it was working. So I left it charging and now it's fine.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2007, 11:09 AM   #3
taz0k
ebook reader virgin

Thanx, you give me hope Wolf.

I have now charged the reader in about one hour, and it still blinks orange when I try to power it on/off.
However I will try again when the red light goes out.

IF it works am going to to be glad as ****, but there's obviously something wrong with the recharging mechanism then, since I recharged the reader until the red light went out just two days ago.

Last edited by taz0k; 06-02-2007 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:53 AM   #4
taz0k
ebook reader virgin

*sobs* The red light went out and still the same symptoms as before. Orange light and all.

I guess the orange light must also mean something else, unless my battery is totally empty after only 3 weeks of use.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:10 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Did you try to power on the reader with the power cord plugged in?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2007, 12:37 PM   #6
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
The orange LED is also showing after a reset. It indicates that it's starting the OS.

After you turn it on and the orange LED is blinking do you give it enough time to startup? It takes like two minutes or so. I get the idea that you reset it again before the startup is completed. Please reset it again without any SD card or MS and give it some time. If it doesn't work do the unbricking procedure mentioned here:

Ten times reset method

And you can also try this:

Click

Good luck!

Last edited by diabloNL; 06-02-2007 at 12:43 PM.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 02:06 PM   #7
taz0k
ebook reader virgin

Thanks for the advice.

Yes, I have tried to power on the reader with the cord in.

I also lay down the reader with the orange blinking for about an hour. I tried the unbricking reset and was as precise with the timing as I could.

No effect, the reader's screen hasn't changed a bit since I did the reset yesterday (still showing starting up).

(Guess this is an impossible case. I also tried praying to God, still no effect. Apparently, not even God can restore it. )
Old 06-02-2007, 02:24 PM   #8
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz0k
Thanks for the advice.

Yes, I have tried to power on the reader with the cord in.

I also lay down the reader with the orange blinking for about an hour. I tried the unbricking reset and was as precise with the timing as I could.

No effect, the reader's screen hasn't changed a bit since I did the reset yesterday (still showing starting up).

(Guess this is an impossible case. I also tried praying to God, still no effect. Apparently, not even God can restore it. )

Did you try the second unbricking procedure that I described?
Old 06-02-2007, 03:38 PM   #9
taz0k
ebook reader virgin

Yes tried it, sorry I forgot to mention it.

I guess the reason that method don't work is because the reader never gets into USB mode, it never shows that screen.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:55 PM   #10
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Can you claim the guarantee or is that not an option?
Old 06-02-2007, 04:11 PM   #11
taz0k
ebook reader virgin

Guess that's the only thing I can hope for. I'll call around and see what can be done.

Thanx for the help!!
Old 06-03-2007, 03:25 PM   #12
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Display failure?

It is easy to see when the display on an LCD device is broken. You don't see anything, or you see something messy. On an E-ink device, the broken display screen can show data, but fail to change.

Maybe there are some signs we can use to tell if the processor is running. I am not sure if the power switch LED is a valid indicator of processor activity. It could be simply tied into the charging circuit electrically.

If you can get a blue light by pressing the mark button, I would guess you are activating the processor. If the processor is running and the device is on, the processor should be scanning keys. Thus, if you have waited enough time for the Reader to boot and the screen remains unchanging, and you can get some behavioral change by pushing buttons, you have a broken display.

Another test would be to see if you can connect using the Connect software on your PC. If the Connect software can see the contents of your Reader, but the display fails to change, you have a broken display.

Last edited by mogui; 06-03-2007 at 03:44 PM.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:20 AM   #13
westsan
Enthusiast
westsan is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
For Hard Reset the timing is about 25-35 seconds after you have pushed the reset and the power button (holding the menu and Vol+ buttons).

Then only other thing I can say is the device responds slower than an old Commodore 64 or an original Macintosh computer if you were still running it today so if your up to trying again Give it time.
Its liable to respond - but slowly.
westsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:34 AM   #14
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
It is easy to see when the display on an LCD device is broken. You don't see anything, or you see something messy. On an E-ink device, the broken display screen can show data, but fail to change.

I bricked mine a couple of times where the screen stayed static with some text or else, but the mark button responded fine. So it doesn't necessarily mean the screen is broken.