Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-25-2010, 04:48 AM   #31
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I've deleted the .bin files, they have been re-created, but the metadata is still not there (the title is just the filename and there's no author). Hmm...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:58 AM   #32
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Did worked for me. I deleted all the files related to the ePub. .bin, .dat, and I think there is a third one.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:22 AM   #33
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Did worked for me. I deleted all the files related to the ePub. .bin, .dat, and I think there is a third one.
There are three auto-generated files:

.thn holds the thumbnail image.
.dat holds the current position in the book.
.bin holds, at least, the title show in library and status bar.

The last two can be easily seen with a hex editor. Maybe I have to delete the other files too, or maybe it does not work with V1 (64MB) units, or maybe it does not work with my ePUBs... I'll try with my mother's Cybook Gold
Old 06-25-2010, 05:43 AM   #34
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
There are three auto-generated files:

.thn holds the thumbnail image.
.dat holds the current position in the book.
.bin holds, at least, the title show in library and status bar.

The last two can be easily seen with a hex editor. Maybe I have to delete the other files too, or maybe it does not work with V1 (64MB) units, or maybe it does not work with my ePUBs... I'll try with my mother's Cybook Gold
I deleted the 3 of them. Have you tried only one ePub ? or lots ?
Old 06-25-2010, 06:54 AM   #35
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
I deleted the 3 of them. Have you tried only one ePub ? or lots ?
I deleted all .bin files in the SD card, then opened just two subdirectories (with 3-4 epub files each) and the .bin files were recreated, but with incomplete metadata (just like with the old firmware).

Last edited by Jellby; 06-25-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:03 AM   #36
EowynCarter
Wizard

Weird. Did you checked the data inside the ePub file ? Where are these ePub comming from ?
Old 06-25-2010, 08:28 AM   #37
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Deleting the .dat file too seems to solve it (I tried deleting .bin or .bin and .dat, I didn't tried deleting .dat only).

But the metadata is created in the .bin file, and the .dat is not created until you actually open the book. So I guess the solution is backup your .dat, delete .bin and .dat, browse to all folders to re-create the .bin files, then restore the saved .dat.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:53 AM   #38
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Deleting the .dat file too seems to solve it (I tried deleting .bin or .bin and .dat, I didn't tried deleting .dat only).

But the metadata is created in the .bin file, and the .dat is not created until you actually open the book. So I guess the solution is backup your .dat, delete .bin and .dat, browse to all folders to re-create the .bin files, then restore the saved .dat.
Oh, I see. I deleted everything not caring about .dat files. I have only one book on the way, and I had already lost my page anyway., as I had read on an other device while the cybook was back at bookeen.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:30 PM   #39
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
I've deleted the .bin files, they have been re-created, but the metadata is still not there (the title is just the filename and there's no author). Hmm...
I managed to delete all my books trying to delete these files (the bloody find command did not work as I guessed...). Strange that the firmwae update did not remove all these files so people notice that the bug is fixed. Now people will still be annoyed that the bug seems not to be fixed.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:20 AM   #40
MarlaChristy
MarlaChristy began at the beginning.

Device: Opus
What does everyone think about the new ware? I'm thrilled with it. The deep sleep button is exactly what I needed to make the Opus perfect for my usage - it often used to take me nearly my metro journey to open my page from off, now I can flip it on and off in fractions of seconds. It really is now quicker than a Gutenberg firmware!

Also, I've been using my Opus while tutoring students, and it was rather slow; now it will be much more convenient, they won't have to wait for me to find the right page now!
MarlaChristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:44 AM   #41
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
just flashed my cybook gen3 with 1.6 - the first time i've done the firmware. i don't see any kind of folder support, but i recall that was added previously. did a search but no luck - can someone tell me how to set up functional folders with 1.6 or link me to a how-to? i can't wait to organize my 350+ ebooks!
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:58 AM   #42
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
just flashed my cybook gen3 with 1.6 - the first time i've done the firmware. i don't see any kind of folder support, but i recall that was added previously. did a search but no luck - can someone tell me how to set up functional folders with 1.6 or link me to a how-to? i can't wait to organize my 350+ ebooks!
You have to mark the option "View as folders" (I don't know exactly the name, I have the Spanish version ) When you activate that option the folders appear.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:09 AM   #43
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
found it, thanks

karma being sent your way.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:51 AM   #44
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Strange that the firmwae update did not remove all these files so people notice that the bug is fixed.
I woudn't have liked the update to do that. I had most book properly labbeled, would have lost some time regenerating.
What they should have done is mentionned it more clearly in the update notes.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:52 AM   #45
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
I woudn't have liked the update to do that. I had most book properly labbeled, would have lost some time regenerating.
What they should have done is mentionned it more clearly in the update notes.
The update could of course have regenerated them.

I really do not think that people know how to remove files with a specific file ending in a deep directory structure. And if they know how to do it like me they can make mistakes like putting -print0 before -name instead of after...
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote