Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-07-2010, 02:13 PM   #16
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by canreader View Post
I tried skipping to the end of the book and "finishing" it, and the book went back into my library and out of the I'm Reading section.
Yep, that works. It's slow and painful but it works.
Anyone know of a shortcut to 'skip to the end' rather then going to the last chapter and then page by page?
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:29 PM   #17
aar3on
aar3on began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by canreader View Post
I tried skipping to the end of the book and "finishing" it, and the book went back into my library and out of the I'm Reading section.

Warning, don't open The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. One chapter, 74 pages, ouch
aar3on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:36 PM   #18
terifili
Enthusiast
terifili doesn't litterterifili doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
You don't have to remove the css file for the font, if you are converting to epub with calibre, just check the box that says "disable font rescaling"... works...
terifili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:07 AM   #19
DoreyR
DoreyR doesn't litterDoreyR doesn't litterDoreyR doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, iPad 3g, iPhone 3GS, Pandigital (Black, Kobo)
Quote:
Originally Posted by terifili View Post
You don't have to remove the css file for the font, if you are converting to epub with calibre, just check the box that says "disable font rescaling"... works...
Yes! This works wonderfully well. Thank you so much for posting this tip!
DoreyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #20
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

+1 to the "disable font scaling" feature of Calibre fixing Kobo's font scaling issue.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:38 PM   #21
Kobo_Marc
Kobo_Marc began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
+1 to the "disable font scaling" feature of Calibre fixing Kobo's font scaling issue.
Doesn't work for me, I get the DRM warning.
Kobo_Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:56 PM   #22
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
You would need to remove the DRM (can't discuss particulars on the forum). Or you can try and unzip the original ePub and edit the stylesheet.css file removing all references to font-size.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:11 AM   #23
Orochi
Connoisseur
Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo, Ipod Touch
Okay - lots of talk about the stylesheet thing and jumping to the end of the book - but it's TIPS and TRICKS - What else have we got?

There is the LOCKED CONTENT thingy - If you get a message Locked Content when trying to open a book check the filename for apostrophe's. If there are any, remove them from the filename and the book should load fine.

AND there is the VIDEO POKER easter egg - press menu - select help - press menu - select help again and now you have a Video Poker game. (not particularly useful, but some people might like it)
Orochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:31 PM   #24
dantaipan
Enthusiast
dantaipan began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
Unfortunately this has no effect on epub files generated by calibre's "Fetch News" which is my main reason for using it right now.
dantaipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:00 PM   #25
dantaipan
Enthusiast

This one may be obvious to some but it's handy:

To preform your last menu action such as jumping back to the TOC
Double-tap the center D-Pad button

Great for news feeds. It really just means you don't have to wait for the menu to load.

Last edited by dantaipan; 05-11-2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:04 PM   #26
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Pushing 'up' or 'down' on the D-pad will change the font size respectively (on books where the font size scaling is not messed up by the kobo software)
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:03 AM   #27
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duiker View Post
Pushing 'up' or 'down' on the D-pad will change the font size respectively (on books where the font size scaling is not messed up by the kobo software)
Want to clarify that the Kobo software (either the desktop application, or the eReader firmware) does not interfere with font rescaling on ePubs. We use Adobe's Reader technology to render epubs, and if your epubs have a fixed absolute font size specified, we can't change it out of the box.

We are working on workarounds for the issue, and hope to have an update out soon (in the next 7-10 days).
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:46 AM   #28
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

SameerH, I'm a little concerned that you don't think that the problem is directly related to the eReaders firmware. The ePubs that are not working on peoples Kobo work everywhere else. So there is really no problem with the ePub file itself.

The ePub files are also using em as the font-size unit which is a unit that sizes the fonts relative to each other. So the ePub files do not have a fixed absolute font size set.

Also I did some research and it looks to me that the eReader firmware is applying styles to the <P> tags in ePub, I think this is how it is controlling the font-size and font-family. The reason I think this is the case is when I edit my troublesome ePubs and place the font-size: 1em; line on a class used for a <SPAN> tag within the <P> tags then the scaling works just fine.

If your not planning on changing the firmware to fix this issue, and you just planning to show people how to get around it, then your going to have a lot of upset customers. There is no reason why I would have to edit all my ePubs to work on my Kobo when there is nothing wrong with them when I use ADE, SONY PRS-300 or Calibre Ebook Viewer.
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:48 AM   #29
dantaipan
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
if your epubs have a fixed absolute font size specified, we can't change it out of the box
Traditionally in HTML, only PX has been treated as absolute when it comes to font size. EM has always been scalable. Kobo is not allowing scaling regardless of how the font size is assigned.

Last edited by dantaipan; 05-13-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #30
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
Turt99 you had commented on the difference in ebooks that had problems...

"the feedbooks styles where being applied was a little different. The same font-size: 1em; was being used but it was being applied to a tag type instead of a class type."
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote