Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-19-2009, 09:30 AM   #1
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Does Anyone Have a Copy of The Canterbury Tales to share with me?

I can't find a copy of the full book anywhere. If anyone has a copy of it in eformat (not Kindle format), would you please send me a copy at bambiblings@gmail.com ? I would certainly appreciate it.

DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:49 AM   #2
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
There are a few versions up on Project Gutenberg, but they seem to mostly be in Middle English. This is one of those books where people have had to translate and edit it to make it more easily readable by today's standards, which means anything done with it in the past 80 or so years is copyrighted.

EDIT: This looks like the best price you'll find on a reasonably clean, well-formatted annotated copy (I'd trust a Penguin, Norton, or Bantam edition any day over some no-name 99¢ [or free] copy). After conversion fees, it should be about $5.50. Seeing as how you've been looking for a version of it for over a year, it might be worth taking a chance on the mobi or lit version there.

Last edited by Abecedary; 08-19-2009 at 10:00 AM.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's OK, I can read Middle English. I'll check there later. Soooo busy today!

THANKS for the pointer!

EDIT: GOT IT! THANKS!!

Last edited by DixieGal; 08-19-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:31 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just curious - why didn't you look on PG in the first place? It's the first place to look for "classics".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:35 AM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just curious - why didn't you look on PG in the first place? It's the first place to look for "classics".
Sorry, just found this reply. I was sooooo crazy busy that day and I just wanted someone to spoon feed me a nice pretty copy.

The PG version is horrible. It is full of footnotes, but not in any sort of reasonable format. It has an obsureword+asterisk, then immediately within 2 or 3 words you get asterisk+explanation without any sort of break or anything. The page numbering is atrocious with just <1>, <2>, etc randomly scattered amongst the text.

It is marginally better than just scanning in a book, because it would be PDF and all of the footnotes would be at the bottom, but what a mess!

Meanwhile, I'm happy to be re-reading the Prologue again. I've never read The Canterbury Tales from beginning to end, but always in teacher's preferred order. I plan on going thru it page by page and am looking forward to it!
Old 09-01-2009, 11:39 AM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!

Hey, my Middle English came roaring back in my internal reading voice. The rhythms and pronunciations, like a combination of The Swedish Chef and a sinus infection. That was actually part of the final exam for that class. We all had to troop individually at some point in that week to the Prof's office and do a reading. If I couldn't be brilliant at the recitation, then at least I made her laugh!
Old 09-01-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm impressed! Middle English isn't so bad, but "The Canterbury Tales" is written in a mixture of Middle English and Medieval French since Chaucer, like all educated people of the time, was of course trilingual: in English (the everyday language), French (the language still spoken at Court at the time) and Latin (the language used for scholarly debate).
Old 09-01-2009, 12:36 PM   #8
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Hey, my Middle English came roaring back in my internal reading voice. The rhythms and pronunciations, like a combination of The Swedish Chef and a sinus infection. That was actually part of the final exam for that class. We all had to troop individually at some point in that week to the Prof's office and do a reading. If I couldn't be brilliant at the recitation, then at least I made her laugh!
You brought back nightmares to me - of my own experience in college - we had to recite in class!! Yechh! I still have scars!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:57 PM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm impressed! Middle English isn't so bad, but "The Canterbury Tales" is written in a mixture of Middle English and Medieval French since Chaucer, like all educated people of the time, was of course trilingual: in English (the everyday language), French (the language still spoken at Court at the time) and Latin (the language used for scholarly debate).
Well, once you learn Latin, the other languages sort of fall into place. An odd word here and there doesn't really bother me to skip over. Now back in school when I was a perfectionist student, skipping would never have wroked for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
You brought back nightmares to me - of my own experience in college - we had to recite in class!! Yechh! I still have scars!
I know! And the thing is, who is to say that the way it was been resurrected is actually correct? All's I knows fer shure is that they think Shakespeare's and my accent are similar, because the people who colonized the south came from his neck of the woods.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:42 PM   #10
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
The first assignment we ever got in Chaucer class in university (more years ago than I will admit now) was to memorize the first 18 lines in middle english. I still drag them out whenever I get into an obscure knowledge one-up-manship situation.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:34 AM   #11
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I think I want to try reading this again. I read the first story, "Knight's tale", years ago, but never picked the book up again. I've read that it's not recommended to start with this story, because it's long and a bit difficult - but with books one doesn't know, one starts at the beginning, right?

Think I'll skip the ME versions though. I can just about get the meaning of the text when I read Old Norse and that's enough for me Would like to learn it properly though, especially how to pronounce it.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:36 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

"The Wife of Bath" is a fun one .
Old 09-02-2009, 11:51 AM   #13
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
The first assignment we ever got in Chaucer class in university (more years ago than I will admit now) was to memorize the first 18 lines in middle english. I still drag them out whenever I get into an obscure knowledge one-up-manship situation.

Mel
"Whan that Apryll with its shoures sweete?" This just popped into my mind - is this it?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #14
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
"Whan that Apryll with its shoures swoote?" This just popped into my mind - is this it?
Now it is!
Old 09-02-2009, 12:22 PM   #15
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Quote:
"Whan that Apryll with its shoures sweete?" This just popped into my mind - is this it?
Very impressive. I can recite it like poetry and tell you what it means but I wouldn't dare try to write it out after XX years. Even with one small error that was amazing.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote