Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-25-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
pvdas
Enthusiast
pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Boox i86ML Plus
Spare parts for Boox M92?

I am using Boox M92 reader for past 6 months very extensively, since I purchased it from Booxtor. It is excellent device and it makes my studying much easier.

However the 5-way joystick is slowly giving up. Now the direction down is not working. I would send it for a repair, but I am in India and it is very troublesome with the customs here, and also I am using it daily. Would someone (Booxtor) happen to have the joystick and can send it in a letter or let me know where to get one? I am afraid that it may not last much too longer, and it will become more difficult to use the M92.

Thank you.
pvdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
gris
Connoisseur
gris began at the beginning.

Device: m92, sonyt2,
hello!

i have a question, that is: did it work to replace the joystick?
gris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
guidol
Enthusiast
guidol began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92 White
the other problem is....the Joypad is soldered to the mainboard :-( because they saved some cents on a part which would be the frist part which become unuseable...the most used part on the device...great would be a replacement with real microswitches .-)
guidol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidol View Post
the other problem is....the Joypad is soldered to the mainboard :-( because they saved some cents on a part which would be the frist part which become unuseable...the most used part on the device...great would be a replacement with real microswitches .-)
Actually, if you are experienced in soldering the replacement of joystick is not really difficult. But in in 99% cases it is not needed. If someone got a problem with joystick, it is mostly because of bad contacts (they can be damaged by too hard mechanical impacts.). Those contacts are easy to refresh /resolder.

But you are right - I would definitely prefer FFC connectors instead of soldering.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Joystick.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	95601  

Last edited by Booxtor; 11-06-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
gris
Connoisseur

ok, maybe i should order this thing for spare with the machine then too.

the akku can also be exchanged when it gets broken? true?
can it be exchanged at pocketbook 912 too?

but at most other readers this will not be possible. so akku crash, machine dead, true?
Old 11-13-2012, 03:13 AM   #6
pvdas
Enthusiast
pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gris View Post
hello!

i have a question, that is: did it work to replace the joystick?

I have ask for the joystick from ereader-store.de, from where I purchased the Boox M92. They sent the spare joystick to me by post to India based on the warranty and I have replaced it by soldering it. It is not that difficult, but definitely they could use a connector instead. Now the M92 works again well I really like they service.

Thank you Booxtor. BTW I am planning to get one more M92 for our school, but don't know yet how much will be custom duty in India. Can it be send as a educational tool or as a sample to avoid the tax here? Anyone has any experience?

Thank you.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:54 AM   #7
Kalari
Kalari began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300, Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvdas View Post
BTW I am planning to get one more M92 for our school, but don't know yet how much will be custom duty in India. Can it be send as a educational tool or as a sample to avoid the tax here? Anyone has any experience?

Thank you.
I paid no import duty at all. DHL hands the package over to India Post who deliver it to your address. I am curious. Where did you buy your M92? Did you pay custom charges?

Last edited by Kalari; 11-13-2012 at 05:57 AM.
Kalari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:08 AM   #8
pvdas
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalari View Post
I paid no import duty at all. DHL hands the package over to India Post who deliver it to your address. I am curious. Where did you buy your M92? Did you pay custom charges?
I sent it to my friend in Hungary, who brought it here to India. However if I get it sent here directly then I do not have to pay the EU tax.

Where do you live? In a big city or a small town? Would it be advantages to receive it in a big city, like Kolkata? Do you have experience with international parcels and DHL coming into India?

I live in a small town and just got another parcel with some free samples via FedEx and they charged me duty Rs. 436,- That is why I am so cautious.

Thank you.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:53 AM   #9
Kalari
Kalari began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300, Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvdas View Post
I sent it to my friend in Hungary, who brought it here to India. However if I get it sent here directly then I do not have to pay the EU tax.

Where do you live? In a big city or a small town? Would it be advantages to receive it in a big city, like Kolkata? Do you have experience with international parcels and DHL coming into India?

I live in a small town and just got another parcel with some free samples via FedEx and they charged me duty Rs. 436,- That is why I am so cautious.

Thank you.
I doubt it makes much difference where you live because I do live in a big city and when I received the M92 I found the screen was broken. The package had obviously been dropped in shipping. Booxtor replaced the device. He had to send the replacement in a bigger box with some shock absorbent padding.

Ofcours it is not certain that it was India Post and not DHL that mishandled it. But the Eink screen being fragile even if it looks okay there might be hidden damage and now I worry that even a slight bump might break it. Makes me wonder if having it sent directly is a good idea.

Edit: Friends tell me with Fedex you pay import duty and with DHL you dont. Not very clear to me why it is so.

Last edited by Kalari; 11-14-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Kalari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #10
gris
Connoisseur

my current onyx has another style of the nibble. it has only four edges, makes a square. is there a replacement for this too?

Last edited by gris; 11-24-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:44 AM   #11
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalari View Post
But the Eink screen being fragile even if it looks okay there might be hidden damage and now I worry that even a slight bump might break it.
I am not sure that it is so fragile. My M92 fell from 2 m height on the floor. It was in cover and survived.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote