Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-13-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
Farhad
Zealot
Farhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheese

Device: N800/Nokia 5230/PB IQ701/PB 360
Let's share our boot off logos

Hi,

I though that it would be nice of those of us who made some boot and off logos could share them with others so I am sharing mine with you. My off logos is "resistance" which I like to look at when I need inspiration or courage, and my boot logo is a Debian swirl, just because the PB360 runs on Linux and Debian is my favorite GNU/Linux distro.

Sometimes I also use the a quote from Arundhati Roy which always feels like a glass of fresh water in the middle of a desert.

I would love to see what you guys came up with.

Many thanks in advance and kind regards,

Farhad
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Resistance.bmp (469.8 KB, 609 views)
File Type: bmp debian.bmp (469.8 KB, 1185 views)
File Type: bmp Roy.bmp (469.8 KB, 1028 views)

Last edited by Farhad; 05-13-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Farhad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:47 AM   #2
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
thanks Farhad, great idea (btw, the resistence one is heartbreaking)!
I haven't created anyhting, jsut modified some personal pictures plus the following woodcust by Hiroshige (public domain).
One question, though: the last picture (flower) is one I made - in spite having followed the same procedure as for the Hiroshige images, the flower displays really poorly - same for all the pictures I adapted. Any suggestions as to how to fix this?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 396px-100_views_edo_035.bmp (416.7 KB, 450 views)
File Type: bmp 800px-Hiroshige_nuit_de_neige_à_Kambara.bmp (413.6 KB, 447 views)
File Type: bmp 20101208073448!Hiroshige,_A_mountain_in_the_snow.bmp (410.4 KB, 432 views)
File Type: bmp hiroshige_waves.bmp (429.2 KB, 383 views)
File Type: bmp genziana.bmp (469.8 KB, 409 views)
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:10 AM   #3
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I have no boot logo. Instead of the boot logo I use "the last read page" setting. This way, when you switch off the reader it makes screenshot of the page you are reading and when you switch it on, you are presented with the picture of the last read page until the book is loaded.

As a shutdown logo, I use picture I have downloaded from Russian pages here:
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...&postorder=asc
I use the logo that is next to the logo with Christmas tree. It says:
- Будешь больше книг читать, меньше водки будешь жрать
- The more books you will read, the less vodka you will drink.
- another possible translation is command: You will read more books! You will drink less vodka" The Russian text can have those two meanings with a few shades in between. This might be a reason I find it entertaining ;-)
Also the very first logo is nice on the page above. It is a poster that was used in very early Soviet days. It says that: if you do not read, you will soon forget your [freshly acquired] literacy.
I have posted the link in my review thread here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...568#post654568

I have also created some boot logos from pictures of MC Esher, But I do not think I can distribute. You can find lost of his graphics on line, with resolution that is good enough for making logo.

If you have a picture and you want to make a logo you can use following web app:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...784#post894784

Last edited by kacir; 05-14-2011 at 04:16 AM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
Farhad
Zealot
Farhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
One question, though: the last picture (flower) is one I made - in spite having followed the same procedure as for the Hiroshige images, the flower displays really poorly - same for all the pictures I adapted. Any suggestions as to how to fix this?
Well, I don't know how you made this pic so I cannot tell, really. What I do is the following: I use the GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP) to place the image on a 600x800 or 800x600 (depending on the orientation) layer, then I grayscale it, then I use the "posterize" function to bring the number of shades of grey down to 16, then I use the "curves" tool to add some contrast and, finally, I save it as a BMP pic with no compression. I did something similar with your flower (see attached). Did that help?

I love these wonderful japanese prints, btw - great choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I have no boot logo. Instead of the boot logo I use "the last read page" setting. This way, when you switch off the reader it makes screenshot of the page you are reading and when you switch it on, you are presented with the picture of the last read page until the book is loaded.
Very good idea!

Quote:
As a shutdown logo, I use picture I have downloaded from Russian pages here:
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...&postorder=asc
I use the logo that is next to the logo with Christmas tree. It says:
- Будешь больше книг читать, меньше водки будешь жрать
- The more books you will read, the less vodka you will drink.
- another possible translation is command: You will read more books! You will drink less vodka" The Russian text can have those two meanings with a few shades in between.
Indeed. Since жрать is rather rude, I would have translated the slogan like so: "the more you read, the less you guzzle booze" or something similar

Quote:
I have also created some boot logos from pictures of MC Esher, But I do not think I can distribute.
Sure you can - nobody should ever attempt to prevent friends from sharing with each other. You can find all the inspiration to do the morally right thing here, here or even here.

Quote:
You can find lost of his graphics on line, with resolution that is good enough for making logo.
Yes, but I find that doing work step by step as I outlined above is really fast and easy and yields the best results. YMMV of course.

Kind regards,

Farhad
Attached Images
File Type: bmp genziana v2.bmp (469.8 KB, 350 views)
Old 05-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhad View Post
Indeed. Since жрать is rather rude, I would have translated the slogan like so: "the more you read, the less you guzzle booze" or something similar
Guzzle booze is more close, but still doesn't convey exact meaning. жрать is often used for eating, and is only used for drinking when you want to express it in especially degradatory way. We would use word жрать for describing the way the pig eats. Like I said, I find the words very ... peculiar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhad View Post
Yes, but I find that doing work step by step as I outlined above is really fast and easy and yields the best results. YMMV of course.
I use command convert from imagemagick package to do conversion. It can do dithering and other nice things. Plus, commandline image manipulation is particularly 'leet' way of doing thins on Linux ;-)
For this and other tricks see
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...753#post818753
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
Farhad
Zealot

Quote:
Guzzle booze is more close, but still doesn't convey exact meaning. жрать is often used for eating, and is only used for drinking when you want to express it in especially degradatory way.
True. So maybe "gorge less" would be better. There are so many nuances of the Russian slang expression to eat (хавать, рубать, уплетать, etc.) that "жрать водку" is really rather untranslatable, the best you can do is approximate. In that case, I always favor meaning over literal/etymological translation.

For example, if I say that copyright-fanboys are козлы or бараны or even both at the same time (which is what I believe) it would be impossible to translate it directly. The meaning could, of course, but "goats" and "rams" would not convey that at all

My 2cts
Old 05-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #7
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Farhad,
thanks for the picture - I haven't got the PB360 on me right now (long story), so it'll be ten days before I can check it out - I'll let you know.

@kacir, thanks, I know you had written about this before, but I had forgotten about it!
Old 05-17-2011, 03:12 PM   #8
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Has anyone figured out a way to make the boot logo the cover of the currently open book? I'd been interested in that...
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:28 PM   #9
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Has anyone figured out a way to make the boot logo the cover of the currently open book? I'd been interested in that...
I don't believe there's a way to do this automatically but if you're a Calibre user there is a plugin (mine actually ) which will take some of the tedium out of preparing and copying book covers to your PB for use as poweroff/boot logos. Link here.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #10
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
Here are my custom made (in 10 minutes or so)
booting and off logos:
Attached Images
File Type: bmp parkher_booting.bmp (487.6 KB, 421 views)
File Type: bmp parkher_off.bmp (487.6 KB, 380 views)
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:53 AM   #11
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Taste is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose ...
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:43 PM   #12
Hope
Zealot
Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360 Plus, Kindle Fire, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Noobie here with PB360+

Just got back from a visit to Zimbabwe - Victoria Falls, Hwange Park and Matobo Park and used a couple of my pictures for boot up and shutdown screen:
Attached Images
File Type: bmp elephant.bmp (469.8 KB, 636 views)
File Type: bmp baobob%20copy.bmp (469.8 KB, 373 views)
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:17 PM   #13
paola
Wizard

just found this other thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93116
Old 03-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #14
mamawe
mamawe began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 360°
I took my Logo from an xkcd comic (https://xkcd.com/956/). This is licensed under CC BY-NC 2.5, so I think there's no problem sharing it.

Had to rearrange some of the panels to better fit on the 600x800 format.

There is some blank space at the bottom where I've put my name on the logo copied to my pocketbook.

Regards,

Mathias
Attached Images
File Type: bmp logo-xkcd-956-sharing-blank.bmp (469.8 KB, 376 views)
mamawe is offline   Reply With Quote