Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-14-2006, 01:01 PM   #1
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
New Additions to Connect Store?

I'm wondering whether anyone has noticed any significant amount of new additions to the Connect Store. I keep checking for new offerings, but am not really seeing any.

Also, does anyone know of a site or blog or somewhere that Sony communicates with its customers about its progress or intentions regarding the Connect Store?

Last edited by Michele; 10-14-2006 at 01:35 PM.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 01:30 PM   #2
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
Not really, the page with new releases hasn't been updated for at least a week, may be more.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2006, 01:34 PM   #3
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Right, that's where I've been looking, but I'm pretty sure that toward the beginning I was seeing additions that weren't listed there. I wouldn't be surprised if the list didn't reflect the reality. I haven't seen that list change since the beginning.

Maybe the early additions I saw were really corrections of errors revealing existing content.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:03 PM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Didnt Jane say something about new releases for publishers coming on, say, a couple of particular days each month? Maybe there is a similar frequency wrt ebooks?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 02:26 PM   #5
ChrisAllenFiz
Enthusiast
ChrisAllenFiz doesn't litterChrisAllenFiz doesn't litter

The specials end on 17th don`t they? They may update then.

Still, shocking support so far really.
ChrisAllenFiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2006, 02:42 PM   #6
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
All the major entertainment providers put out their releases on Tuesdays. Music, DVDs and books. For books, most releases happen on the first Tuesday of each month or the last Tuesday of each month. A bookstore can get a book in the store before then and put it out on the shelf unless the publisher has bought a "street" date or a "lay down" date. If a bookseller puts out a book that is has a street date before the street date, they can get "punished" by not getting the books on time in the future or being fined or some such crazy thing like that (think JK Rowlings). These street dates are to facilitate an author getting on a bestseller list.

For ebooks, however, there is no early release date (except S&S and Harper Collins have recently instituted early releases on a few select ebooks). So each books street date for publication is abided by for the e-release. On the publisher ebook websites, you can generally download those ebooks at 12:00 EST of the release date.

Certain publishers release some books throughout the month for big time authors. I.e, Janet Evanovich gets released in June, about the third Tuesday in June, IIRC.

Ereader.com is excellent about getting the new releases out each Tuesday. Fictionwise, because of some stupid business model, puts out new releases on Monday so they are always a week behind in getting books out.

I have no idea what Sony is doing. I haven't seen updates to its "new book" section although it did announce in a timely fashion the winners of the Quill Awards which were released last week. That is the only update I have seen on the Connect store. HTH
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 04:35 PM   #7
Michele
Addict

I went to Ereader.com just now for the first time, but (due to my inexperience) I can't tell what the file extension of their books is. Are these .LIT files that we can reformat?
Old 10-14-2006, 05:24 PM   #8
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele
Ereader... file extension of their books...
eReader uses their own format and DRM, which is different from .lit, .pdf, mobipocket and others. One advantage of eReader DRM is that it is unlocked by your credit card number. So there's no chance of "using up" licenses when, say, you have to rebuild your PC or buy a new one, etc. And if you trust someone enough to give them your CC#, they can technology-wise read your books. Obviously that's a very limited group of people so it pretty much eliminates any chance of piracy. On the other hand, you can only read the books on eReader software which is not available on e-ink devices, and if they ever go out of business, new devices will never be supported for reading those books.

I think we will find that if Sony can work out their pricing issues and successfully continue to add content, people will in general be okay with that. One needs to remember that it's not the best way to build a library (you can only read the books on the Sony reader or future Sony devices that support the same format), but for getting books to read on a great device that you don't plan to keep around afterwards, it's not too bad. You can't give the book away when you're done, but you do get to read it in e-ink.

But that does seem to depend on seeing pricing glitches worked out a continual flow of new content...
Old 10-15-2006, 11:46 AM   #9
Michele
Addict

I was hoping that Connect would add more books to broaden its offering, not necessarily newly released books. Theoretically that could occur anytime, not on new release dates.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:08 PM   #10
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Ah. Broadening the store content with existing ebooks could happen with any timing, couldn't it? I guess the publishers may be looking to see how sales go before adding additional titles that aren't new. I'm sure if sales are good, there will be big incentive to add more titles.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:30 PM   #11
Slava
Addict

But without books ppl like to buy sales wont be good

So, Egg or Chicken ?-)
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 03:36 PM   #12
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
Right now the sales figures will look fairly healthy, thanks to the $50 credit. Sony can easily show publishers that people who bought a reader are spending at least $50 on books almost straight away. That should lead to more content, very clever move by Sony to kick start the cycle.

The real tell will be when all the credit has run out. How many people come back and keep shopping at the connect store.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 04:26 PM   #13
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I definitely will keep shopping there, as long as they add more books that I want to read.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:00 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
That's going to be the key for me too, LG.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:11 PM   #15
Slava
Addict

New books have been added :-)

The Kite Runner
Khaled Hosseini
$11.20

Imperium
Robert Harris