Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-08-2011, 04:21 AM   #1
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Building you own e-book

Hello

does anyone know of a non-techie tutorial that would show me how to build my own e-book. I've found a couple, followed the intstructions, built the files and then... they send me to the command prompt. After which point I get a selection of interesting errors which mean nothing to me, give up and try a different one.

Is there a way of creating a .mobi or .epub book from scratch that doesn't involve having to know how to use the command prompt or well... presumably it's whatever dos is called now.

I'm reasonably savvy - I can code a basic website and I understand how the file directories work, I just don't seem to be able to find instructions for a non-techie as to how to go about zipping them all together.

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this I just thought there might be someone like me knocking round here whose worked it out and would be able to explain it in the language of the techincal dunderhead.

Cheers

MTM

Last edited by M T McGuire; 03-08-2011 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Clarity
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:42 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Sigil .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2011, 05:51 AM   #3
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
For mobi, design it in your favourite html editor and convert it with Mobicreator. Epub and mobi are both based around html, they just use different compression and wrappers. Once you have one of them, Calibre will convert to the other without any major loss of formatting.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As the late great Elvis would say "thankyouverymuch"

Cheers

MTM
Old 03-09-2011, 03:14 AM   #5
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Writing my first short story: Guardian Angel
Another vote for Sigil.
spaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2011, 04:41 AM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by M T McGuire View Post
As the late great Elvis would say "thankyouverymuch"

Cheers

MTM
late !

Shock horror ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:18 AM   #7
jhone
jhone began at the beginning.

Hi to all! I found this forum today. To build your own ebook, you need to learn the Kindle/ mobipocket format, if you want to upload it there. Otherwise, simply do a book in adobe format; there are plenty of software out there, and get a photo editing software to design the cover page.
jhone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:22 PM   #8
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Calibre will do the basics and is probably easier for a beginner than Sigil, which also gets my vote when you want to do difficult things like embedding fonts (which you won't want to do for mobi - it doesn't support them).

One thing, be very careful with your formatting. It's a good idea to nuke your text before throwing it at any program, and especially calibre, to be sure that you've got consistent formatting. Nuking means to convert it to plain text - thus killing all formatting - and then placing it into a new document with the style that you want. A good tip here is to mark special text, such as bold, italic, large font, etc. with symbols like $$, %%, ## so that you can easily find it later to change it back to bold, italic or whatever it was.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #9
M T McGuire
Addict

Thanks, James, that's an excellent hint. I regularly nuke things so that will save masses of phaff!

The files I'm using are all built from scratch in html using dreamweaver. My main problem, though, is that the first tutorial I used to build them was from 1999 and hadn't been updated. I tried a more modern one but got loads of errors. Tried it doing asci text and discovered I needed to save it in a different type of coding. I think I'll probably need to re-nuke and start again!

Cheers

MTM

Last edited by M T McGuire; 03-10-2011 at 12:53 PM. Reason: missed a bit
Old 04-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #10
mentored1
Smart Monkey
mentored1 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mentored1 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mentored1 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mentored1 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mentored1 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mentored1 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mentored1 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mentored1 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mentored1 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mentored1 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mentored1 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kindle
Hello MT,

I picked it up pretty quick and found a solution that seems to work great... for me, anyways.

If you're writing in MS Word, save the work as a "Filtered Web Page". Open that saved page in Mobipocket Creator (a free program), type in the stuff like title and what-not (it's self-explanatory in there), and then click "Build". The .prc file created by Mobipocket uploads for Kindle well.

The basic .doc file, as long as it's formatted properly, can be sent directly to Smashwords. For the Smashwords .doc file, I use a Normal template (no special styles or anything like that): 12 pt Times New Roman, .5 first line indents, 1.5 line spacing, and all auto-correct/auto-format options turned OFF. The easiest way to set that up is to go into the Format>Styles (or style gallery, wherever it is in your version) and setup a "Normal" style with these options--or create a blank document with these parameters and save it as a template. Using that, I've had no issues with Smashwords.

Best of luck, amigo!

PS: I just noted this is a month old... duh.
mentored1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #11
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Are you on Mac or Windows? If you are on a Mac, "Pages" (Mac) is Apple's word processor. It contains ebook "styles" so basically you type or import your text into "Pages," set "styles" (Title, Author, Chapter Head, Body, Caption) and then export an ePub file. It will automatically produce the interactive TOC using the "chapter" style. A fast and easy way to create a great looking eBook (epub file). Works best when viewed with iBooks but also works good when viewing with Stanza and other Readers.

Last edited by 1611mac; 04-08-2011 at 08:00 PM.
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:13 PM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
For the books I've posted here I imported the files to Sigil (for the epub) then ran the epub through Calibre (to create the mobi). It's very easy to do overall. For fanfictions that I've downloaded (I'm a Harry Potter fan) I just imported the HTML files to Mobipocket creator, built the TOC and imported a jpeg (for the cover picture) and built the book normally. Both approaches work well depending on what you want to do. This evening I saved a doc (from my 2009 NaNoWriMo project) as a HTML page, imported it to Sigil and converted to Mobi in Calibre so I can refer to my 1st draft of the book while making notes for future work. What approach you use is just dependant on what you want to do and what you have as raw files.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:41 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Purely as a matter of interest, what's the problem with using the command prompt?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #14
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Writing my first short story: Guardian Angel
Command prompt is for nerds I kno since I am one and my wife is not. Try to explain her how to make an epub file in command prompt

Seriously, command prompt is not very easy for regular people to use.
spaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaze View Post
Command prompt is for nerds I kno since I am one and my wife is not. Try to explain her how to make an epub file in command prompt

Seriously, command prompt is not very easy for regular people to use.
"Regular people" managed just fine with MS-DOS in pre-Windows days.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote