Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-30-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
bonaldo2000
Enthusiast
bonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: prs-505
How Come There Are No More Firmware Updates to the 505?

The last firmware update to the PRS-505 was nearly two years ago. I wonder why Sony do not add new functionality to it?
Are the newer readers updated?

I reckon the PRS-505 could be made a lot better with updated firmware (though I still love it as it is!)
bonaldo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:12 AM   #2
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
It is not in Sony's interest to prolong the life of PRS-505.

If any update is forthcoming, I would expect a lockdown on custom hacks in it :-(
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2010, 10:14 AM   #3
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
And if you want improved functionality then look in Sony Reader Dev corner especially PRS+
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:57 AM   #4
bonaldo2000
Enthusiast
bonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
And if you want improved functionality then look in Sony Reader Dev corner especially PRS+
I have been thinking about using some of the hacked firmwares. Are they worth it? Is there any risk? And is it possible to revert to the standard one?
Old 04-30-2010, 11:01 AM   #5
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
You can revert, but I guess you wouldn't want to once you've used the hacks. PRS+ brings some games, browsing folders (so you can organise your books like the files on your pc), clock display while reading, take screenshots to just mention the important ones. Maybe I missed some. It's really great.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
bonaldo2000
Enthusiast

OK, thanks.

Does it include a better battery indicator? That is what I am missing the most actually.
I would like to see a percentage of battery left, instead of the bars, which are quite inaccurate.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:06 PM   #7
Robert Minneman
Connoisseur
Robert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Sony PRS-505
Yeah I recently switched to PRS+ (once my extended warranty coverage lapsed) and I have to tell you I'm quite impressed with it.
Robert Minneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:29 PM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Do any of the mods add functionality to reading (change margins, line spacing, full jsutification for epub, ...)?

Last edited by John F; 04-30-2010 at 12:32 PM.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:00 PM   #9
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
They really need to do one last update to add full justification for ePub. I still can't believe they switched the Sony store over entirely to ePub when only one Reader of theirs (PRS-900) supports it correctly.

And you think it would be in their interest to update all their models; many people don't bother buying books from the Sony store for that reason.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:03 PM   #10
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Why isn't Sony updating the 505? The same reason they're not selling it: They want us all to dispose of our perfectly good 505's and buy new 600's or 900's that we don't want. They don't make any money off us being happy with our Readers; they make money off us being forced to buy new ones. So whatever they can do to keep us from using our 505's, including not producing updates, refusing support, even taking every last little case off their online store, they're going to do. They (like all too many companies today) want us to keep paying them for what we already have.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:48 PM   #11
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
The battery meter is the same as before. PRS+ doesn't do text modifications from what I know when I last wrote the user manual in English and German. But check out http://code.google.com/p/prs-plus/ for newer information. Maybe they added something.
There's an installer now that makes installing (supposedly) as easy as a regular FW update. By the time I installed it, I had to move this file here, that over there and so on. But even if it doesn't improve on text layout or battery meter, it still comes with quite a handful useful stuff (limit zoom sizes to only M&L as a new one I didn't know of).
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:12 PM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Do any of the mods add functionality to reading (change margins, line spacing, full jsutification for epub, ...)?
You can't change the justification that is built into the ADE reader on the device. What it does let you do is set up multiple css files for ePub. I have 7 user selectable css files that use 5 different fonts. Below is the css setup I use most frequently. You can also disable the custom css to use the fonts that might be built into books you purchased.

The two items (beside the font change) that I like the best are the auto indent of paragraphs and limiting the max-width of an image to 100% of the screen width, this ensures the image doesn't run off of the page.

Spoiler:

@font-face {
font-family: "Futura";
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Futura.ttf);
}

@font-face {
font-weight: bold;
font-style: normal;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Futura-Bold.ttf);
}

@font-face {
font-weight: normal;
font-style: italic;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Futura-Italic.ttf);
}

/* Standard elements */

html, body {
font-family: "Futura", sans-serif;
widows: 0;
orphans: 0;
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
}

blockquote.message { font-family: monospace; }
blockquote.code { font-family: monospace; }
code { font-family: monospace; }

img {max-width:100%;}

h1, h2, h3, h4{ margin: 0; padding: 0; text-indent: 0;}

p {text-indent:1.1em;}
div {text-indent:1.1em;}

/*
To increase or decrease ePub font size Remove rem slashes
surrounding the paragraph and division statements below.
Then adjust number higher or lower. If you set the font size
in the Sony 505 will not be able to scale the font. It will
be stuck at the size you set it.
*/

/*
p {font-size:50px}

div {font-size:50px}

*/

/*
To increase ePub line height Remove rem slashes
surrounding the paragraph and division statements below.
Then adjust percentage higher, try 110% to start.
*/

/*

p {
line-height: 110%
}

div {
line-height: 110%
}

*/

There are also instructions on how to change the internal font used for LRF to the font of your choice.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-02-2010 at 10:17 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:57 AM   #13
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonaldo2000 View Post
OK, thanks.

Does it include a better battery indicator? That is what I am missing the most actually.
I would like to see a percentage of battery left, instead of the bars, which are quite inaccurate.
That was one of the feature requests, but unfortunately, device API reports battery levels as integer numbers 0-4, which do not offer better precision.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:41 PM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Why isn't Sony updating the 505? The same reason they're not selling it: They want us all to dispose of our perfectly good 505's and buy new 600's or 900's that we don't want. They don't make any money off us being happy with our Readers; they make money off us being forced to buy new ones. So whatever they can do to keep us from using our 505's, including not producing updates, refusing support, even taking every last little case off their online store, they're going to do. They (like all too many companies today) want us to keep paying them for what we already have.

Well, you sure are a happy fellow!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:50 AM   #15
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Well of course. They are a business and their goal is to make money, for themselves and their shareholders. Personally I'd love to see some updates with added functionality, but I'm not expecting them and I'm not going to be upset if they don't come out with them. If there were a problem I would certainly expect them to correct it, but as far as getting something for free, while it would be nice I certainly don't expect it. This is the same with almost any other product cell phones, computers, PDAs, etc.. they will provide updates to correct problems and maybe some updates or minor freebies that are outside of their core functionality, but little else unless you pay for it. You get Windows security patches for free, but you have to pay to upgrade the OS itself, maybe the reader manufacturers should do the same - create a new version that you pay $50 for?

As for wanting you to get rid of your "perfectly good" reader, I'm not being sarcastic but, if it is perfectly good, why consider getting rid of it? Doesn't it still do the job you initially bought it for? If you find that it no longer meets your needs, it's not the device's fault, it is your changing needs and requirements.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote