Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-15-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Adobe CS5

Adobe have released their latest iteration of their powerhouse design and media packages. The upgrades to CS5 (including the new content-aware fill) seem worth the price of admission.

Last edited by Moejoe; 04-15-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
It looks good. I'm hoping our company will be upgrading.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Wow. If only I had that kind of money...
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Very cool, the tool has too much muscle for me. On the other hand that delete function looks pretty sweet.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Wow. If only I had that kind of money...
It's waaaaay too expensive, but the internet will provide it for free before too long. Me, I use the Gimp and Inkscape, both free, and both just as useful (there's an equivalent to content aware fill for Gimp and it comes as a plugin).
Advert
Old 04-15-2010, 07:38 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
It's waaaaay too expensive, but the internet will provide it for free before too long. Me, I use the Gimp and Inkscape, both free, and both just as useful (there's an equivalent to content aware fill for Gimp and it comes as a plugin).
Cool! That's my tool of choice, do you know what that plugin is called?
Old 04-15-2010, 07:41 PM   #7
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Cool! That's my tool of choice, do you know what that plugin is called?
I haven't used it yet, but it's called Resynthesizer
http://www.logarithmic.net/pfh/resynthesizer

http://linuxers.org/article/adobes-c...y-had-it-years

Oh, and the Gimp one has been around for years apparently (Go Open Source!!)*

*Typed on Chrome in Windows 7 for added horrible irony.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #8
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

I have been wanting to switch to Gimp for ages (because "Go Open Source!" ), but I need to get used to it first, I have worked on Photoshop for too long. Last time I looked it didn't support cmyk, which was kind of a drawback. I also loved the line thickening feature in Illustrator, I would probably use this even more than the content aware fill.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:55 PM   #9
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
I haven't used it yet, but it's called Resynthesizer
http://www.logarithmic.net/pfh/resynthesizer

http://linuxers.org/article/adobes-c...y-had-it-years

Oh, and the Gimp one has been around for years apparently (Go Open Source!!)*

*Typed on Chrome in Windows 7 for added horrible irony.
Yeah, it goes back to my college days. I recall the original coders, also college students where coding this tool up for a class project. They initially started using MOTIF, but found the GUI tool kit too limiting so they start writing their own Graphic library toolkit now known as GTK. They put the tool on hold until they had a usable version of GTK.

The GIMP is a great tool, not as nice as Adobe, but has all the features I need.

[EDIT:]Doh! After visiting your link I get what you meant.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 04-15-2010 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Added additional comment
Old 04-15-2010, 08:01 PM   #10
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
I have been wanting to switch to Gimp for ages (because "Go Open Source!" ), but I need to get used to it first, I have worked on Photoshop for too long. Last time I looked it didn't support cmyk, which was kind of a drawback. I also loved the line thickening feature in Illustrator, I would probably use this even more than the content aware fill.
There are some drawbacks, I agree, to using Gimp/Inkscape. I think, but can't give you confirmation, that GEGL will handle CMYK in the Gimp (never done anything for print, so never had the need for CMYK output). I'm not sure about the line thickening feature, but I'm sure it'll be implemented in Inkscape if it's not already there (and I haven't seen it yet).

In my own personal experience I found the GIMP/Inkscape when used on Linux a better environment and more forgiving on system requirements than Photoshop / Illustrator. Seems to me that Adobe products get slower and slower with every version and need more and more ram to get any acceptable speed.

Oh, on another note, the Lightworks video editor has been open sourced also http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/04/o...goes-open.html
Old 04-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #11
omk3
Wizard

I'll definitely play with Gimp/Inkscape some more when I find the time.

As for the ram/speed issue, isn't it the case with everything? I'm pretty sure that even if I somehow got CS5 for free (ahem), I would still have to buy a brand new laptop for it to run.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:30 PM   #12
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
I'll definitely play with Gimp/Inkscape some more when I find the time.

As for the ram/speed issue, isn't it the case with everything? I'm pretty sure that even if I somehow got CS5 for free (ahem), I would still have to buy a brand new laptop for it to run.
I find I get a lot more bang out of my machines when using a Linux / Gimp / Inkscape set-up. This crappy iMac I'm running Wndows 7 on now is a Core 2 Duo with 1gb ram. Under Snow Leopard I can forget even trying to use Photoshop CS4, the same with Windows 7. Same machine, same ram using Crunchbang 9.04 and The Gimp and I can quite easily do a lot of the work I would do in Photoshop and listen to some music, surf at the same time.

Of course, Your Mileage May Vary.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:42 PM   #13
omk3
Wizard

Well, I said before that I have been wanting to switch to Gimp for ages.
I've also been wanting to get away from Windows for ages. Unfortunately I am now almost convinced that I will never really try it. Too scared of any problems/incompatibilities and so on that might arise.
Maybe, if I find a spare computer to experiment on. And enough time. And so on.

In the meantime, windows itself keeps eating up all my system resources, just to be "prettier".
Old 04-15-2010, 08:46 PM   #14
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Well, I said before that I have been wanting to switch to Gimp for ages.
I've also been wanting to get away from Windows for ages. Unfortunately I am now almost convinced that I will never really try it. Too scared of any problems/incompatibilities and so on that might arise.
Maybe, if I find a spare computer to experiment on. And enough time. And so on.

In the meantime, windows itself keeps eating up all my system resources, just to be "prettier".
To paraphrase an old joke and modify it a little:

Linux (and Open Source) is the most fun you can have with all your clothes still on.

For me, using Linux is like computing when I first got a computer. New things to discover all the time, advances every single day, and a level of enthusiasm and community that none of the other OS's can even touch at this point - and all this for free too
Old 04-16-2010, 03:02 AM   #15
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I am very fortunate that my wife works for a school. Therefore we have the Adobe CS4 suite for only €25 (that's right...), including Photoshop, Indesign, Dreamweaver, Acrobat and more... I hope we can get the same deal for CS5.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote