Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
ppowell002
Connoisseur
ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.

Device: kobo glo hd
Arc email application problem

I have had my Bell email set up on the device since Dec when I first bought it and after a few issues it was working fine; it could send and receive mail. I recently noticed that all my Sent mail since Jan 7 is sitting in my Outbox. So I am receiving mail but not able to send. I downloaded the os upgrade on Jan 9 so I don't think that is the issue.

I checked with Bell and my outgoing server settings are correct. I phoned Kobo and they told me that the email application preloaded on the Arc cannot send mail. The rep said email can be sent only by using the gmail app or by using the browser to go to the Bell webmail site. I'm pretty sure I have sent in the past on the Arc and besides, what good is an email application that receives but does not send. This makes no sense to me. I can't accept that answer so the issue has been escalated to Tier 2.

This is the only device on which I have this issue. I can send email using my Bell address from my laptop, my android phone and my IPad. Has anyone else been unable to send through the Arc email app? Does the answer from the rep even seem logical to you?

Thanks
ppowell002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:50 AM   #2
kumaryu
Zealot
kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300, Kobo: Touch, Glo, Arc, Aura, Glo HD, Nexus7, nergy Pro HD
As far as I can tell, "Bell Mail" that you mention appears to be a standard POP/SMTP mail service with SSL. If you're having issues with the standard "Email" app on the Arc, you could try one of the alternatives such as:

K-9 mail https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...id=com.fsck.k9

or

MailDroid https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...1haWxkcm9pZCJd

Last edited by kumaryu; 03-04-2013 at 04:00 AM.
kumaryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
ppowell002
Connoisseur
ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.

Thanks for the suggestion..I figure that will be my last resort. A little more searching uncovered that some ISP are blocking port 25, the outgoing POP server, on some email apps but they seem to be all U.S. based ISP's and Bell assures me they have not done so. If that is the reason, Kobo should know that rather than responding the way they did.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:10 AM   #4
kumaryu
Zealot
kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's a link regarding Bell Mail configuration:
http://support.bell.ca/Internet/Emai...with-Bell-Mail

For POP3 (incoming), you should be using port 995
For SMTP (outgoing), they suggest that you use port 587 if 25 is blocked.

POP/SMTP settings are usually pretty much standard and in most cases, well established. There are differences in assigned ports and security in use but in most cases, its pretty much generic. Whether you're using the standard Android client, Outlook, or any other mail client on any other device, they should all work barring some specific bugs or local network restrictions.

Have you checked your own router to see whether there are any port filtering/firewall settings which may be preventing the client from connecting? If you're not sure, you can check using another device (PC/Mac) on your home network. This will determine whether its your ISP/router or Arc and/or mail client that's at fault.

You could also try from a public access WiFi hotspots in your area.

Last edited by kumaryu; 03-05-2013 at 05:17 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
ppowell002
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumaryu View Post
Here's a link regarding Bell Mail configuration:
http://support.bell.ca/Internet/Emai...with-Bell-Mail

For POP3 (incoming), you should be using port 995
For SMTP (outgoing), they suggest that you use port 587 if 25 is blocked.

POP/SMTP settings are usually pretty much standard and in most cases, well established. There are differences in assigned ports and security in use but in most cases, its pretty much generic. Whether you're using the standard Android client, Outlook, or any other mail client on any other device, they should all work barring some specific bugs or local network restrictions.

Have you checked your own router to see whether there are any port filtering/firewall settings which may be preventing the client from connecting? If you're not sure, you can check using another device (PC/Mac) on your home network. This will determine whether its your ISP/router or Arc and/or mail client that's at fault.

You could also try from a public access WiFi hotspots in your area.
Thanks. The arc will not accept port 587, have tried a bunch of different ports. All my other devices working fine with my router so using 25 so is not the issue. Tier 2 was supposed to call me but I got an email today asking me to copy/paste the error message. I don' think the arc has that function and don' t think a string of emails is a very efficient method for dealing with this issue. I feel like they just threw it over the fence and said " you're it".
Advert
Old 03-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
See http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/6-ways-...ts-on-android/ for ways to take screen shots on Android.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:53 AM   #7
kumaryu
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppowell002 View Post
Thanks. The arc will not accept port 587, have tried a bunch of different ports.
When you write that the Arc will not accept port 587, could you be more specific?

Is the existing value (25, 465, etc) locked and/or are you prevented you from entering a new value? or
Does the field revert back or change to another value after you enter it?

Alternately, are you able to enter the correct value but does the device display alerts like the following?

"Checking outgoing server settings"
then
"! Couldn't finish"
"Couldn;t open connection to server... <reason>"
or
"Can't connect to server. <reason>"

If this is the case, it might help if you could copy what's displayed in <reason> .

Quote:
All my other devices working fine with my router so using 25 so is not the issue.
If all your other devices are working fine, and there are no specific restrictions specified on the router, the issue is most likely in the mailer configuration on your Arc.

Last edited by kumaryu; 03-06-2013 at 05:20 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
ppowell002
Connoisseur

Thanks for the screenshot info, saved me a lot of time.

I get two different error messages depending on which server I am trying to connect to. First is "cannot connect to server, that is for pop 25 and pop 587 . Second is when I try with SSL ticked...can't safely connect to server etc.

Since kobo stii has not gotten back to me I will send the screenshot. I expected better or faster service once escalated😫
Old 03-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #9
ppowell002
Connoisseur

Well, heard from Kobo today. They recommend a factory reset...seems to be their stock answer for everything from what I have seen on the boards. The loss of all data is a little daunting so now I don' t know what to do...maybe throw the d---n thing in the trash?
Old 03-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
With standard Android's a lot of what you do IS backup up in the cloud. Take a look in Settings at Backup and Reset.

Also purchases from the Google Play store will be reinstalled.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:29 AM   #11
kumaryu
Zealot

You should try some of the other email clients before resorting to a factory reset.

Quote:
I get two different error messages depending on which server I am trying to connect to. First is "cannot connect to server, that is for pop 25 and pop 587 . Second is when I try with SSL ticked...can't safely connect to server etc.
As noted earlier, for POP3 (incoming), you should be using port 995 and not 25.
For SMTP (outgoing), port 25 or 587.

For both incoming and outgoing server configs, I've noticed that when you select the SSL option AFTER entering the port number, it often reverts back to whatever the default assignment happens to be and you need to re-enter the correct port number.

Last edited by kumaryu; 03-08-2013 at 05:34 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #12
ppowell002
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumaryu View Post
You should try some of the other email clients before resorting to a factory reset.

That's a good idea. Do you have a suggestion?

As noted earlier, for POP3 (incoming), you should be using port 995 and not 25.
For SMTP (outgoing), port 25 or 587.

For both incoming and outgoing server configs, I've noticed that when you select the SSL option AFTER entering the port number, it often reverts back to whatever the default assignment happens to be and you need to re-enter the correct port number.
I have tried every thing you suggest and more, it seems...configuration, ssl on or off, ssl before/ after entering port number, changing the port number after it defaults to another, port 25,587,995 , I get the same error messages, either...cannot connect to server or cannot safely connect to server.
Thanks for trying though.

I would love to hear if anyone else has the same issue with the kobo email app and the bell ISP.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #13
ppowell002
Connoisseur

Update

I have downloaded Aqua mail from Google. Bell mail is up and running and working just fine. Thanks for the help.