Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
dicknskip
Zealot
dicknskip began at the beginning.

Device: iPad V-3
Book viewer error

I have done a fresh install of Kubuntu 13.04, installed Sigil following the instructions on the Sigil site - very easy to follow and worked perfectly (I thought).

When I open a new file in Sigil all looks good. The detached Book Viewer shows things cleanly. As soon as I make any change I get the following error and it stays there even if I do a save. Even in bookview on the main window it shows this. The preferences are set at default except for:

Go to line short cut changed
Fonts and sizes changed

The settings for clean-up are: on open and on save: Tidy print.

error on line 2 at column 1: Extra content at the end of the document

It will occasionally revert to a proper display, but I haven't found a pattern yet? The first lines are the standard default included by Sigil.

EDIT: It appears that any change that causes a re-flow of the text will bring the book back into the book viewer. Things like inserting a line.

Last edited by dicknskip; 04-29-2013 at 11:35 AM.
dicknskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Any time an edit is made which makes the epub invalid you will get a warning in the book viewer...for example, if you are in the middle of typing a new paragraph and all you have is "<p>words words words" with no closing tag </p> then there will be an error.
That is just telling you that in it's current state it is invalid. When you complete the edit and it is in a valid state again the warning goes away.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
dicknskip
Zealot

I moved on to another book and it hasn't happened again. In the first book, with the issue, just doing a find next mis-spelled word would cause an error. There must have been an issue with some part of that book. And it was always line 2 column 1. I don't expect it to happen again so I'll say solved. I might go back later and take that book apart and see what ticks.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
dicknskip
Zealot

Well it's back, and I can't determine a pattern. I wonder if it is a Kubuntu/KDE issue with the widget that displays the detached book viewer. That sure is a handy feature, but when it keeps putting out the error, always at line 2 column 1, and doesn't display anything it's not much help. It will display the error for something as simple as doing a right click spell check and replacing a mis-spelled word. It will correct itself and show the actual book, at what appears to be, a random whim. Closing and re-starting Sigil usually corrects it for a few minutes.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Line 2 Col 1 Indicates to me that the document declarations (line 1 ) failed miserably

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
dicknskip
Zealot

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

This is the code I have for lines 1, 2 and 3. Line 4 is a blank line. I had checked this to ensure it was correct. It matches your code on line 1. Doesn't Sigil insert this code on every save?
Old 05-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicknskip View Post

This is the code I have for lines 1, 2 and 3. Line 4 is a blank line. I had checked this to ensure it was correct. It matches your code on line 1. Doesn't Sigil insert this code on every save?
I don't know if Sigil ever inserts this automatically into an existing file (I know I have mucked that line up before )

The problem with Sigil is that it does not always show non-printing characters (usually garbage, not the same as those with a missing glyph)

The Developers will need to weight in on this.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #8
dicknskip
Zealot

I have now noticed that the same error shows in the book view of the main Sigil window. So once this appears there is no way too see the book in view mode.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #9
dicknskip
Zealot

This is getting very irritating. Sigil is such a great tool and now it's ruined for me. I get the book view working less than 10% of the time. I'm running Kubuntu 13.04 with Sigil installed by the running from source instructions on the Sigil site. I have not noticed any other problems on 13.04. The ability to see the book view, in the main window or in the detached view, appears to be completly random and very seldom. I have looked at an extracted text file from the epub and cannot find any stray characters. Here are the top few lines from my file. If I modify any of this a save automatically resets it back to this. The end of the second line is a line end.

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>

This page contains the following errors:

error on line 2 at column 1: Extra content at the end of the document
Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error.

This is the error message and the display is blank from that point on both the detached and the main window book view. Can anyone suggest what might be wrong?
Old 05-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #10
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Right click on the Book Browser and select "Add Blank HTML File" - or open a fresh new file in a second instance of Sigil.

This should view fine. If it doesn't then delete Sigil and reinstall.

Then cut/past parts of your document into the new sheet until it breaks. The last part you add is where the error lies.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #11
dicknskip
Zealot

I may have stumbled on something in trying your suggestions. Is there a limit on the size of file that book view can work with? I merged all the sections of a rather large book as I was changing headings around and wanted to re-align the sections with the new head1 structure. When I divided back into sections again it seems to display each section correctly and so far I can't get it to fail the display. It divided into thirteen sections, all are now loaded as tabs and it's working perfectly. I guess the limit could be a Sigil issue or a Kubuntu/KDE issue.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #12
caraka
caraka began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color CM10
I'm having the same issue, and agree that it may have something to do with the file size. I am working on a book of daily readings, and each file is a month's worth ~ 30 pages. It doesn't matter what month I open in code view, if I switch to book view I get the error. These are months that have been long done and validated in previous versions of Sigil.

It appears that when I save in code view it is adding an extraneous carriage return at the end of the file.

That also seems to be the complaint of this idle bug report:
https://code.google.com/p/sigil/issues/detail?id=2237

I may chop my book down to size so the developers have a sample of the problem, which is what they are asking for.

Sigil 0.7.2 QT 5.0.1 build: 2013.05.02
caraka is offline   Reply With Quote