Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-07-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
jakedubbleya
jakedubbleya began at the beginning.

Device: none
Know what I want, not sure what to get

Needs:

1.E-ink type, no LED
2.Ability to read most freeware book types along with at least one major pay-per book type, compatibility is huge
3.Large (>2GB's) or expandable memory
4.Size of a paperback or bigger
5.Rechargeable battery

Pluses:

1.Reads Italian
2.Selecting a word can give the definition
3.That definition gives the history/roots of the word like in a good dictionary
4.Reads PDF's, HTML and other non-book formats

Not important:

Ergonomics and wireless/bluetooth/internet doohickies

Hope you guys can help

Thanks
jakedubbleya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
If bigger is better and a dictionary is vital, get a laptop. You can read anything on it.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:13 PM   #3
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
As far as I'm aware, there's no current device that supports HTML very well. Usually only the most basic HTML.

HanLin V3 (BeBook, Pixelar, EZ Reader, lBook - there's many rebrands) is open and reads a number of different formats. It also supports DRM'd mobi/prc resonably well. Given your needs, I think it's prabably your best bet.

On the other hand, a Sony + Calibre software would also make it easy as you can easily convert variety of file types to something the Sony reads.

The Cybook supports prc/mobi *really* well, but in my experience, other formats not so well (there were supposed to come new firmware by now, don't know if it did - that might change the situation....)

Expandable memory is only an issue with Kindle 2. They all have rechargable batteries, but if you ment *replacable* batteries, I think it's only the HanLin and the Cybook where you can replace them youself. The HanLin even uses a standard phone type battery - but it's an extremely energy efficient device, so you'd hardly ever need it.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #4
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
I'll just add my points below the questions:

1.E-ink type, no LED
There are several to choose from, see this matrix in the Wiki

2.Ability to read most freeware book types along with at least one major pay-per book type, compatibility is huge
This one limits you to Sony Reader, Cybook, BeBook/Hanlin V3, iREx iLiad or Digital Reader, and Kindle I believe. Sony has it's own store for pay eBooks, the Kindle has the Amazon store, and the others have Mobipocket support. You can read 'multiformat' eBooks on all of them.

3.Large (>2GB's) or expandable memory
Most come with a decent amount of internal memory and they all take some kind of expansion card, except the Kindle 2 which does not allow for any memory expansion. The Cybook can only take up to a 2GB SD card. Are you planning to put on Music or Audiobooks? If not, I'm not sure why you would need so much room. I have over 400 eBooks on an SD card and I'm using less than 300 MB.

4.Size of a paperback or bigger
Any of the 6" eInk eBook Readers are this size, the Iliad is larger with an 8.1" screen and the Digital Reader has a 10.2"

5.Rechargeable battery
As far as I know all of the eBook Readers use rechargable batteries.

Pluses:

1.Reads Italian
If the eBook is availble in Italian, I think any of the eBook Readers would be able to handle it. (correct me if I'm wrong!) As far as I can see, only the Cybook supports Italian for menu options.

2.Selecting a word can give the definition
As far as I know, the Kindle, iRex eBook Readers, and Cybook are the only eBook Readers which have the ability to look up a word in the dictionary while reading. The Kindle comes with 1 dictionary loaded whereas the Cybook will recognize any Mobipocket dictionary that is loaded.

3.That definition gives the history/roots of the word like in a good dictionary
This depends on which dictionary is loaded/provided for lookup

4.Reads PDF's, HTML and other non-book formats
I'm not sure what you mean by 'non-book formats' however for PDF & HTML all of the eBook readers will attempt to open the files with varying degrees of success based on their programming. PDF can be hard to read on a 6" screen depending on original size of PDF in question and if there are any detailed pictures/charts/diagrams to be viewd. HTML is not well supported on the Cybook which can not link to an outside page, however HTML documents can be converted to Mobipocket with free software.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:44 PM   #5
jboardman
Zealot
jboardman is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle, sony PRS900, Irex Iliad
I'm looking at the Irex Iliad 2 for just the same reasons.
jboardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
jakedubbleya

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
If bigger is better and a dictionary is vital, get a laptop. You can read anything on it.
thanks
Old 04-08-2009, 11:07 AM   #7
jakedubbleya

First off I'm sorry about the triple post, good old war zone internet for ya.

Thanks guys you really helped me out here and its between the cybook and the BeBook.

Any new releases coming out I should wait for? Anybody have any reasons why I should pick one over the other?
Old 04-08-2009, 11:09 AM   #8
jakedubbleya

First off I'm sorry about the triple post, good old war zone internet for ya.

Thanks guys you really helped me out here and its between the cybook and the BeBook.

Any new releases coming out I should wait for? Anybody have any reasons why I should pick one over the other?
Old 04-08-2009, 11:16 AM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
War zone? What'cha doing this morning?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:25 PM   #10
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakedubbleya View Post

I guess it depends on your priorities, if language and dictionary are most important then the Cybook would be the best choice. If cost is more of a factor and you can live without Italian menus and dictionary support then I would recommend the BeBook. I know that you will be very happy with either one!

There are several new devices on the horizon, but there always will be. I'm more likely to make my choice based on what is out at the moment than to wait for something which may take longer than expected to hit the market. Check out the "News & Commentary" section for lots of threads on upcoming gadgets.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:04 PM   #11
jakedubbleya

Thanks Justy, very helpful post

The only thing I like more about the Cybook is the dictionary, do you guys think there is any way it could be built in to the firmware some time in the future so i can just close my eyes and buy and Ebook already (I cant seem to get myself to buy one.)
Old 04-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Actually the BeBook (EZ Reader, etc.) has Italian menus and more than 20 other languages.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:58 PM   #13
Justy
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Actually the BeBook (EZ Reader, etc.) has Italian menus and more than 20 other languages.

Dale
Thanks Dale, I couldn't find any mention of Italian among the languages supported by the BeBook. I'm happy to have been proved wrong on this point.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:07 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakedubbleya View Post
Thanks Justy, very helpful post

The only thing I like more about the Cybook is the dictionary, do you guys think there is any way it could be built in to the firmware some time in the future so i can just close my eyes and buy and Ebook already (I cant seem to get myself to buy one.)
NOT having a dictionary in the firmware is a good thing in that it gives the user a free choice (amongst hundreds) of which dictionary (or dictionaries - you can have more than one) to install - different dictionaries appeal to different people. Why are you unable to "get yourself to buy one"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:11 PM   #15
jakedubbleya

Well its been about three years and I've been waiting for the ebook selection to increase along with a single ebook software to take over the market and be able to read any book. Unfortunately there still isn't any dominating software/format but my need/desire to bring along all my books is overcoming my product perfectionism. I'm going with the BeBook because of its active community, format support and non-exclusive nature. Hope I like it.